Anyone Try Orijen

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Dallas
Newborn Bully

Anyone Try Orijen

Postby Dallas » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Anyone else feeding this to their 4 legged kid(s)?

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/adultAnalysis.aspx

I made the switch recently because Archie stopped eating Timberwolf after eating that for 1.5 yrs. I guess he got bored with it. Of course, he had to completely stop eating it after I bought the 30 lb bag. He seems to like Orijen. I bought a 15 lb bag and he loves it. To avoid wasting dog food, I mixed it with the Timberwolf.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Anyone Try Orijen

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:15 pm

I used to feed Orijen to all my dogs.

I'm going to play the devils advocate here with it. Even though everyone says that high protein diets wont affect kidneys unless there is already something going on, TWO of my dogs being fed this food at separate times had elevated kidney levels or liver levels showing on routine blood tests.

In Shambles case, she had been eating this food for about a year when we did some routine tests and found her ALP and ALT levels elevated. There was no history or trauma, lepto, hepatitis or any other cause. We did bile acid tests and an ultrasound to rule out a shunt. The ONLY thing that changed between her initial levels being elevated and when we had them come back down to normal was that I took her off of Orijen.

Buddy's case was similar. Put her on Orijen when I adopted her and a few months later her kidney levels were elevated and she developed pu/pd. (drinking more, peeing more.) Took her off the food right away, levels went back to normal.

Conincidences? Maybe. But I'm totally not willing to take the chance.

I don't really believe in this grain-free hype. Dogs are omnivores, not carnivores so unless there is a proven allergy to something, shown through testing, I don't limit my dogs from chicken, wheat, corn or potatoes. Quality ingredients? Yes. Limited ingredients? Not neccessary.

And besides all that, my dogs had SUCH wicked gas while on grain free (gas is often caused by excess of protein...hence why when we eat beans...you get the idea.) that they could, and often did, clear a room.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:33 pm

I feed their lower protein vrsion called Acanna.
I also alternate every two or three bags of food between Acanna, TOTW, Natural Balance, Verus and a few others for diversion.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Two of my dogs, both with sensitive skin issues, are doing well on Orijen for now. My sharpei mix was a complete wreck on various food brands until I got her on the Orijen chicken and almost overnight her skin cleared up. I'm not sure if it will last forever, but we'll stick with what works while it works. I do worry a bit about kidney problems, but both girls had complete senior blood workups in the last year and everything looked great.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:56 pm

grendel did great on orijen except for the gross farts, that is my only complaint lol.
We use Acana now for our pup.
Im a huge fan of this company because they are canadian and their products are local.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:02 am

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:I'm going to play the devils advocate here with it. Even though everyone says that high protein diets wont affect kidneys unless there is already something going on, TWO of my dogs being fed this food at separate times had elevated kidney levels or liver levels showing on routine blood tests.

In Shambles case, she had been eating this food for about a year when we did some routine tests and found her ALP and ALT levels elevated. There was no history or trauma, lepto, hepatitis or any other cause. We did bile acid tests and an ultrasound to rule out a shunt. The ONLY thing that changed between her initial levels being elevated and when we had them come back down to normal was that I took her off of Orijen.

Buddy's case was similar. Put her on Orijen when I adopted her and a few months later her kidney levels were elevated and she developed pu/pd. (drinking more, peeing more.) Took her off the food right away, levels went back to normal.

Conincidences? Maybe. But I'm totally not willing to take the chance.

To be fair, I will mention the other side of the coin. My borderline kidney disease cat Puck was switched to Orijen mixed with canned food, and his kidney function has actually moved to more normal levels since starting the diet.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:59 am

I have been feeding Orijen to our 4 dogs for about 8 months and they are the picture of health. Prior to that I was feeding premium edge dog food. Since being on Orijen they all have much glossier coats and do not smell at all doggy. Our Rat Terrier used to fart every time he moved until orijen. He is so much more pleasant to be around now - he is only 15lbs and smelt more doggy than the other 3 added together - even after a bath!

2 of our adult dogs and Chi Chi will work for Orijen as treats in clicker training even though they get fed it two meals a day.

Our border collie will get kidney function tests on his senior exam and I will be keeping an eye on the results. If we have a problem I will update on the forum. But they all seem to be doing fantastically on it.

Chi Chi is a 100& Orijen pup (since we adopted her) and she looks and feels fantastic.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:49 am

We had our German Shepherd puppy on it before. He was doing well except for the runny poops. But I don't think that had anything to do with the food - he just can't handle higher quality foods.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:04 pm

looks wonderful but it's mighty costly for me...

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:22 pm

My go-to dog shop has admitted that they regularly run out of the food and are not sure when they will get their stock replenished. Apparently the company cannot keep up with its popularity right now and the food is caught fresh so there is not any "backstock" for them to fall back on.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:38 pm

IloveBlu wrote: the food is caught fresh

That's impressive!

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Adrianne wrote:

That's impressive!

Its part of what you pay for. The meats and poultry are free range antibiotic and hormone free, and all fish are wild caught. Everything is shipped to them fresh and never frozen before it gets put in the food. All of that adds up.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:46 am

Savage Destiny wrote:
Adrianne wrote:

That's impressive!

Its part of what you pay for. The meats and poultry are free range antibiotic and hormone free, and all fish are wild caught. Everything is shipped to them fresh and never frozen before it gets put in the food. All of that adds up.

I'm curious, for those outside of Canada, how expensive is Orijen?

I used to feed my cats Orijen, but when Champion came out with a similar food that was a bit lower priced, I switched to that. It's called Acana (I don't know if it's available outside of Canada?). When I was feeding Orijen, it cost me about $70 for the large bag of cat food, and it lasted me about 1.5 months with 4 cats. Now that I feed Acana, it's about $60 for 1.5 - 2 months. Some of my dog friends that use Orijen have said it costs them about $70 per month for one medium/large sized dog.

I've looked at other, similar cat foods that are available here, and they all seem to be about the same price, give or take a few bucks. I've also found my cats seem to be healthiest when eating Acana/Orijen.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:24 am

nsbullylover wrote:I'm curious, for those outside of Canada, how expensive is Orijen?

I used to feed my cats Orijen, but when Champion came out with a similar food that was a bit lower priced, I switched to that. It's called Acana (I don't know if it's available outside of Canada?). When I was feeding Orijen, it cost me about $70 for the large bag of cat food, and it lasted me about 1.5 months with 4 cats. Now that I feed Acana, it's about $60 for 1.5 - 2 months. Some of my dog friends that use Orijen have said it costs them about $70 per month for one medium/large sized dog.

I've looked at other, similar cat foods that are available here, and they all seem to be about the same price, give or take a few bucks. I've also found my cats seem to be healthiest when eating Acana/Orijen.

Woah $70 for the 15lb bag of cat food?? The 29# big bag of dog food here ranges from $59-71 depending on the flavour. I live in Oregon!

Dallas
Newborn Bully

Postby Dallas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:42 pm

I am in Dallas. The 30 lb bag of dog is about $70. It was the same for the Timberwolf that I was feeding him for the past 2 yrs. I do not know about the cat food.

Return to “Health Issues”