Anyone Try Orijen

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Anyone Try Orijen

Postby nsbullylover » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:
nsbullylover wrote:I'm curious, for those outside of Canada, how expensive is Orijen?

I used to feed my cats Orijen, but when Champion came out with a similar food that was a bit lower priced, I switched to that. It's called Acana (I don't know if it's available outside of Canada?). When I was feeding Orijen, it cost me about $70 for the large bag of cat food, and it lasted me about 1.5 months with 4 cats. Now that I feed Acana, it's about $60 for 1.5 - 2 months. Some of my dog friends that use Orijen have said it costs them about $70 per month for one medium/large sized dog.

I've looked at other, similar cat foods that are available here, and they all seem to be about the same price, give or take a few bucks. I've also found my cats seem to be healthiest when eating Acana/Orijen.

Woah $70 for the 15lb bag of cat food?? The 29# big bag of dog food here ranges from $59-71 depending on the flavour. I live in Oregon!

Yes it's $63 plus tax for the chicken, more for the fish (I think it's maybe $67). I've checked the price of the dog food, and the large bag of the dog food seems to be the same price as the large bag of the cat food. I only know of two different stores here that sell it, and they both seem to have the same price.

Obviously I need to move to Oregon!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 pm

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:51 pm

It seems ridiculous to me that it's cheaper to buy in the US than it is in Canada :huh?:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:55 pm

nsbullylover wrote:

It seems ridiculous to me that it's cheaper to buy in the US than it is in Canada :huh?:

yup it makes no sense whatsover.
I pay about 55 bucks for a 15lb bag of cat food or when i have to take the bus 28 bucks for a 5lb bag.

pittie_please
Newborn Bully

Postby pittie_please » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Also close to 70 for the 30# bag in Minneapolis. We loved the quality as far as label goes--but it turns out Yuma is allergic to intact animal proteins and must be on a Rx diet that I think is expensive crap, but it works for him.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Orijen is a bit too rich for my dogs so i feed Acana. My Brina eats Acana Pacifica, Jaka eats Acana Adult and my mom's dogs eat Acana Light&Fit. Here both foods are quite expensive, the regular Acana has an ok price, but the grainfree Acana and all flavours of Orijen are between 85$ and 110$ for a 30lbs bag.

Our cats won't even touch either of those foods, i have no idea why.

maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:22 pm

I feed Acana (tried both the orange and green bags). Have not tried Orijen but it would prob be too much for him since he did not do well with Evo either...

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:01 am

One of the businesses I frequent regularly just started carrying the Acana. One of the people working there had tried the Orijen on her dogs and had one that immediately started drinking massive amounts of water, so she wasn't willing to keep feeding that high of protein. I'd be uncomfortable with it myself. The Acana looks interesting, and I may try it on Tess, who is currently eating TOTW. The Acana is only a little more expensive, I pay about $45 for a big bag of TOTW, and the Acana was $49-58 depending on formula. (I'd buy the cheaper one)

I'd be too cheap to buy the Orijen, even if I didn't think it has too much protein.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 am

I finally found a place in SF that carries Acana and it is $45 for 15lbs. :sad: It is the grain-free version of Acana that I found. They also carry Orijen but I didn't bother pricing it there; I have seen Orijen at a couple of places around here and it's usually over $80 for a 30lb bag plus I just don't think my dog needs that much protein.

I really wanted to try the grain-free Acana but it is nearly twice as expensive as TOTW (I can usually find it for about $50/30lb bag).

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:48 am

Wow, your food is expensive there in SF!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Sarah wrote:Wow, your food is expensive there in SF!

Hmm, next time we drive through we Oregon, maybe I'll have to stop and buy a few bags of Acana lol Is this store anywhere near Portland?

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:30 pm

mtlu wrote:

Hmm, next time we drive through we Oregon, maybe I'll have to stop and buy a few bags of Acana lol Is this store anywhere near Portland?

Just stop by Bend on your way up. lol

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:
mtlu wrote:

Just stop by Bend on your way up. lol

We can do that too :) We usually spend a night or two in Portland with friends.

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:20 pm

[quote="mtlu"]I finally found a place in SF that carries Acana and it is $45 for 15lbs. :sad: It is the grain-free version of Acana that I found. [quote]

That's cheaper than I can get it for, and I'm in Canada!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 pm

^^ That's just crazy! I wonder if Champion's formulations are different for export. I was researching ZiwiPeak a while ago (company based in New Zealand) and while they went on and on about the wonderful sourcing of their meats in NZ, they never fully answered my questions (via email) about ingredient sourcing for their food manufactured and distributed in North America...

Return to “Health Issues”