Anyone Try Orijen

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: Anyone Try Orijen

Postby Sarah » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:40 pm

mtlu wrote:
Sarah wrote:Wow, your food is expensive there in SF!

Hmm, next time we drive through we Oregon, maybe I'll have to stop and buy a few bags of Acana lol Is this store anywhere near Portland?

Yes, it's in Beaverton.
http://www.pup-a-razzi.com/

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:25 pm

^^ Thanks Sarah! That looks like a cool place and it is really close :)

Monika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Monika » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:42 pm

I feed my dog Orijen Fish and she loves it but last time she was at the vet for her heartworm treatment they did mention her kidney levels were off. And after reading this it makes me wonder...
What do you suggest adding to her food to keep her balanced and keep her on the Orijen? Is Acana made by the same company but has grain? I'll have to do some research. I could just cook up some whole grains and add them in.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Monika wrote:I feed my dog Orijen Fish and she loves it but last time she was at the vet for her heartworm treatment they did mention her kidney levels were off. And after reading this it makes me wonder...
What do you suggest adding to her food to keep her balanced and keep her on the Orijen? Is Acana made by the same company but has grain? I'll have to do some research. I could just cook up some whole grains and add them in.

It isn't the lack of grains that is affecting her kidneys...if anything (although scientific research is unavailable, I'll take what anecdotal evidence I can find) it is the extremely high levels of protein.

Monika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Monika » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Oh well that's good to know...
Finding the right dog food is soooo hard. I want her to eat the highest quality food that is good for her whole health...

I had an interesting conversation with the vet the rescue is having us take her too... he tried to convince me that Science Diet is the best food out there! All this stuff about how they do tons of research and have science on their side. I bit my tongue... If only I could ask a vet which food is the best without them trying to sell me on Science Diet!!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Monika wrote:Oh well that's good to know...
Finding the right dog food is soooo hard. I want her to eat the highest quality food that is good for her whole health...

I had an interesting conversation with the vet the rescue is having us take her too... he tried to convince me that Science Diet is the best food out there! All this stuff about how they do tons of research and have science on their side. I bit my tongue... If only I could ask a vet which food is the best without them trying to sell me on Science Diet!!

For what it's worth, they DO do alot of research before selling their diets.

I'm still doing my own research but I find there is a HUGE difference in actual testing and anecdotal knowledge.
For instance. You would THINK that Orijen is a fabulous food. Fresh meats, vegetables, supplements, etc. But how beneficial IS that tsp of powerdered blueberry extract really? It all sounds great and healthy but dog food companies are supremely good at marketing to humans.
From my experience, my dogs did *okay* on the food, other than the high kidney levels and the horrendous gas. But their coats weren't any shinier than they are on their current diets. Their teeth weren't any better. It was simply just another dog food.

Right now Obi eats Medi Cal Preventive and Buddy gets Hills j/d. No more gas (unless they get a chewie), shiny coats, healthy teeth, two solid poops a day. And I'm sure that both of these diets have ingredients that would make many of you shudder, but the proof is in the pudding. My guys do better on these diets than they did on Orijen. And I don't have to shell out $85 for a 30lb bag.

On a side note, I'm going to the Hills plant in Topeka 2 weeks from now. I look forward to sharing with you lot everything I learn :)

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:28 am

Monika wrote:What do you suggest adding to her food to keep her balanced and keep her on the Orijen? Is Acana made by the same company but has grain?
Acana is made by the same company, yes. And there are two kinds of Acana, grainfree and the regular one with grains. You could switch your dog to Acana Pacifica, it's still a great grainfree fish food, but has 10% less protein than Orijen because of more fruits and vegetables added to it.

With Orijen it's the same as with any other dog food, some dogs do great on it, others don't. Dogs are just different, no dog food suits all dogs.

My friend feeds her sheltie nothing but Orijen since she got him at 8 weeks old. The dog is healthy, has a beautiful coat, is in great condition, lean, muscular, no gas, no problems with digestion, no kidney issues, nothing. It suits him perfectly.

Monika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:58 am

Sasha is a rescue and I have no idea what she was being fed before I got her so the only thing I have to go on is that her coat was very dull and shabby looking when we got her and now she doesn't smell like dog and has a gorgeous coat that people compliment her on. Her toes have no signs of yeast and she doesn't itch. We've just had her over 2 months now and she seems to be doing just fine. Her poops are soft and she does drink more than normal but I chalked that up to her being on anti-biotics for her heartworm treatment. Also when the vet found the elevated kidney levels they said it was probably cuz it was 7am and she hadn't had any water yet... so I didn't think much of it until reading this thread.
I'll give the Acana Salmon grain free a try. I don't want to fix something that isn't necessarily broken. But at the same time I don't want to think she's fine and then later find out she has serious kidney problems.
She's led a pretty rough life already and I want the best for her.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 am

Monika -

You might also want to look at Go! or Now!
http://www.petcurean.com/

I like the more moderate protein levels while still sticking with a company who's sourcing I can stand by. We won a nubmer of bag of food and treats at a tournament so I've been using it in kongs and such and it's been fine for my dogs (who are fed raw).

Monika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Monika » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Thanks Franster! I've never heard of that company but I just checked out their website and it sounds great! I searched and the closest store is 45 minutes away... hopefully I can get down there to check it out!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Monika wrote:Thanks Franster! I've never heard of that company but I just checked out their website and it sounds great! I searched and the closest store is 45 minutes away... hopefully I can get down there to check it out!

Shoot them an email and see if they send samples! I know Honest Kitchen does.

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:13 pm

I buy Orijen from heartypet.com they have a lot of special offers - half price shipping etc - so I wait for a sale and than buy 4 or 6 bags :)

Last order cost $23.50 in shipping for 120lbs of food from MD to MI. I can't find it here within 60 miles of where I live and where I can find it in MI its $68 a bag - so it is cheaper for me to ship it in.

Heartypet ship really fast too.

RazorsEdge
Newborn Bully

Postby RazorsEdge » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Ive been feeding Orijen for quite some time now and I love it, just not the price. It was fine for 1 dog as like everyone said $70 would get me about a months worth of food. There is only a handful of places around here that carry it, and like I read, it sells out a lot. So when I buy I end up buying $500-600 in dog food just to gaurantee I have it. Now with 2 dogs, Im getting $140+ for the month, with a 3rd on the way Im easily $200+ a month. I am super paranoid about feeding a good healthy food to my dogs. I have seen too many ill affects from feeding low quality foods. Though paying these super high prices I really wonder how much hype it really is. My girlfriend feeds her to Am Bulldogs Wellness which is considerably cheaper then Orijen, her dogs love it and their coats look no better, or worse then my dogs.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:29 pm

RazorsEdge wrote:Ive been feeding Orijen for quite some time now and I love it, just not the price. It was fine for 1 dog as like everyone said $70 would get me about a months worth of food. There is only a handful of places around here that carry it, and like I read, it sells out a lot. So when I buy I end up buying $500-600 in dog food just to gaurantee I have it. Now with 2 dogs, Im getting $140+ for the month, with a 3rd on the way Im easily $200+ a month. I am super paranoid about feeding a good healthy food to my dogs. I have seen too many ill affects from feeding low quality foods. Though paying these super high prices I really wonder how much hype it really is. My girlfriend feeds her to Am Bulldogs Wellness which is considerably cheaper then Orijen, her dogs love it and their coats look no better, or worse then my dogs.

I personally didn't have any luck with wellness either. What DID work wonders for my guys was the California Naturals herring and sweet potato. But the company has been apparently bought by P&G so we'll see where the quality goes.

CuriousMoves
Adolescent Bully

Postby CuriousMoves » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:35 pm

I feed Orijen to both of my dogs and they do great. Both have fantastic poops, small and firm :) . We get compliments about their coats all the time and they both seem to enjoy eating it. The only formula Riley gets mildly gassy on is the Regional Red, but it's nothing extreme. They've never had a gas issue on the fish or the regular adult formulas. I love Orijen, and can't wait to try Acana once our local feed store brings the line in. Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive. 30lb bag of Fish is 90 bucks.

Return to “Health Issues”