Parvo update "Shadows success"

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BlueKira
Newborn Bully

Parvo update "Shadows success"

Postby BlueKira » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Well it's been awhile and I feel it is now safe to post this update on Shadow.

As you may have read he had parvo at 1yr because his previous owners never vaccinated him.

After alot of attention and a couple vet visits he is doing great.

Shadows previous owners gave him his name and never taught it to him so we felt it was okay to change it. His new name is AMBROS. Its short for Ambrosi which I learned means immortal in greek, I thought that fit him pretty well considering the fight he just went through.

Ambros was sick for a couple weeks, very sick to the point he didn't have the energy to get up and move around. We forced pedialyte down him every 1/2 hour and fed him baby food once a day. It was only about a 1/4 cup a day and he usually could not keep it down, but we had to try.
I could not afford to take him to the vet for treatment but I did get him antibiotics and eventually the ringers solution and was able to administer it at home. That stuff saved his life.
Even after he was healthy enough to get up and was starting to run and wag his tail again he was still vomiting every time he eat for like 2 weeks after. He lost a lot of weight and is just now starting to put some pounds back on. You can still see his ribs and hip bones but they are fading fast.

I realize that my financial condition (I was broke) caused his sickness to last longer and would recommend taking your dog to the vet as soon as you suspect an illness if you can. The only reason ours survived was because he was not a puppy and we got the vet to sell us the ringers solution.

Thanks for all the tips and comments during our tough times.

Now for a bit of even better news, Ambros and our other three dogs are going to have a huge backyard to run and play in because we are leaving Chico and buying a house in Susanville Ca where my wife and I grew up. We are not moving until mid September and I'll be sure to update after the move with pics of the pack in the new backyard (even though the grass is all dead right now)

Take care everyone and vaccinate your puppys on time and finish them.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: Parvo update "Shadows success"

Postby pblove » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:51 pm

:nana: :nana: :nana: for Ambros
and good luck with your new home/move!!!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Good news! Glad Ambros kicked Parvo's behind!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm glad he's doing so well.
Our vet actually mentioned that dogs who get parvo when they are older are less likely to survive and actually get sicker than if they get it when they are younger, because it's thought that their immune system may have some problems - because older pups/young dogs should not even get it.
So maybe it wasn't all your fault, but it is still a good idea to get the dog in from the first sign of illness.

Return to “Health Issues”