Dew Claws

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tattman
Newborn Bully

Dew Claws

Postby Tattman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:36 pm

In the past I have owned German Shorthair Pointers and being hunting dogs they have all had the Dew Claws removed. Being a first time PB owner,I'm just looking for some pro's and cons on the removal of them :huh?:

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dew Claws

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Dew claw removal is something typically done within a couple of days of the puppy's birth.

Here's a pro-dew claw essay by Chris Zink:

With A Flick of the Wrist by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD (as seen in Dogs In Canada – September 2003)
http://jandemellobordercollie.com/DewClaws.htm

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:33 pm

Buddy has her front dew claws and has never had an issue with them.

Obi has his front AND a single set of hind dew claws (with bone attachment). He's never had a problem with these either.

Keep them short and you shouldn't have any issues :)

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Gracie and I are all over outside and she's never had a problem with them. If they're not a puppy anymore I wouldn't worry about it.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Pit bulls very very rarely seem to have have rear dew claws-- usually those rear ones are the ones that tend to be loose/floppy and prone to accidents like ripping. Some breeds of dogs and some of their breeders always remove rear dews on the breeds that have 'em, and then lots of vets will remove barely-attached or dangling rear dews at the same time as spay-neuter surgery.

Front dewclaws are usually pretty well attached. I've seen one small-breed dog that had them removed at birth. Booker has his front dewclaws still and we don't have any more issues with them than with any other of his nails.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:47 pm

One of my dogs has her dews removed and the other has his, only bad thing is he uses his paws like hands and often claws the crap out of my legs. He's not a fan of nail clipping and we never get them clipped that short. He doesn't get them caught on anything though, a friend with a bullier dog had constant issues with his ripping and catching everything and had them removed when he was neutered as an adult. Since they weren't done as a small pup I would leave them, chances are they won't be an issue.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:52 pm

Never had an issue with front dews and typically they aren't removed by most breeders I've ever seen. Pit Bulls rarely have rear dews (kind of trippy to me when they do) My little litter of mixed breed pups (I got them in a junk yard along with not so mixed breed Momma) has one with a full set of (loosely attached) and another with one rear dew claw. I'll have them removed when I get them speutered.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 am

When I got Cherry at 5 weeks from a backyard breeder, they had removed her and all their pups' dew claws. They said they do it to all their litters and I was sad to hear them talk about it like it is a great thing and makes them worth more. I hate it. :( I hate knowing she was in pain for no reason. But, not much I can do about it now. It looks funny. There's still a nub under the fur and the scar is visible.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:46 am

All of my dogs have their dew claws. Umah, being a GSD, would normally have hers removed and I do believe her breeder normally does remove them. I'm not sure why she didn't on Umah's litter.

Anyway, I've never had any issues with front dew claws.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:22 am

All of mine have their front dewclaws. Judge's breeder does NOT remove them normally. Actually most GSD breeders I know(working lines) do NOT remove front dew claws and there should rarely/never be back dew claws, if there are, they would be removed.

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 am

All of my dogs (2 pit bulls, 2 rat terriers) came to me with their front dew claws (no one has rear), and 3 of the 4 have had no problem. One of my pitties had chronic infections in her dew claws that would make the nail fall off, and it was very painful and involved. We were never able to get the issue under control, so I had hers removed at about 18 months old. It was an ordeal, though not as bad as it could have been, and she was pretty much back to regular activity within about 2 weeks. There's a definite scar, and 5 months after the surgery, she still worries the area a bit.

Tattman
Newborn Bully

Postby Tattman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks for all the replies, such a great place to be for info :peace: It sounds like dew claws it is :clap

ClickNtreat
Adolescent Bully

Postby ClickNtreat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Chi Chi has front and rear dew claws. Our vet recommended we not remove them unless she begins having problems with them. Her back ones are fully formed with bones too.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:27 pm

I once met a little Pit Bull pup that had double dew claws on her rear legs - maybe even on the front too - I can't remember. I do remember the double rear dew claws. Made me think there was some serious inbreeding going on.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:21 pm

I have two bullies and an insane Border Collie all with front dews. They're all tight and attached, and they definitely use them. Nobody's had a problem yet. I personally wouldn't remove them unless they were floppy and unattached.

Return to “Health Issues”