Decided to try out Holistic Select

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Decided to try out Holistic Select

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Sooo... Natural Balance hiked up their prices again, so I decided maybe I'd try to find a food both my dogs could eat so I'd have less shopping to do. There's a great petstore down the street from me that Carries Wellness, Canidae, Eagle Pack, Taste of the Wild, Innova, Orijen, and this one... Holistic Select. Apparently it was originally made by Eagle Pack, and then Wellness bought them out. Comparing the Wellness Super5 to this, the ingredients are close, and the nutrient profiles are nearly identical. This food is just a couple bucks cheaper (and cheaper than DVP too!), so I'm gonna try it out. I went with the duck formula for an easy transition, and will probably try the fish formula after a couple bags...

http://www.holisticselect.com/

Ingredients:
Duck Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Tomato Pomace, Carrots, Peas, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Organic Quinoa, Apples, Blueberries, Cranberries, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin], Minerals [Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese and Copper, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Inulin, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus licheniformis, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger Fermentation Products, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein Not less than 23.00%
Crude Fat Not less than 13.00%
Crude Fiber Not more than 3.90%
Moisture Not more than 10.00%
Calcium Not less than 0.95%
Phosphorus Not less than 0.70%
Vitamin A Not less than 22,000 IU/kg
Vitamin E Not less than 165 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)* Not less than 30 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* Not less than 3.00%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* Not less than 0.50%

What do you think????

BrindleLvr
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Decided to try out Holistic Select

Postby BrindleLvr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 am

Holistic Select is actually the same as the old Eagle Pack Holistic Select - they just changed their branding - formula is still the same.
it's a decent food - we fed it for awhile with no issues.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 am

If that one doesn't work out, my dogs seem to be doing really well on California Natural's Grain Free formula. I thought it was time to rotate and someone here posted a coupon. Of course who knows how long it will be good since they've been bought out by P & G.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:09 pm

I've looked at this before, it's really reasonable where I am. But (in my opinion) too grainy.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Actually there have been some formulas changes.
All of them used to contain chicken, and now they dont. Although they still have dried egg product in them, so not really chicken free but better than before!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Yeah, so here's the issue with almost all foods... If I'm going to start spending more on Sheila, I might as well find a food for both dogs...

But find me a food thats less than $2 a pound, that does not contain Beef, Chicken (Romeo's allergies), or Lamb (gives sheila toxic gas), and is not "too grainy"...

Grains don't bother me... they are digested just fine. As long as my dogs look great, feel great, are itch and gas free (for my comfort as well as theirs) I'm happy. I just want the best bang for my buck, so I can spend more money on them elsewhere as all my discretionary income goes to the pets...

nsbullylover
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby nsbullylover » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am

I used to feed my cats Holistic Select and loved it, but then one of my cats developed sensitivities to grain so I switched them all.

I was looking at it in the store this weekend and noticed the packaging had changed (it was about 5 years ago when I bought it last), I didn't know it had been bought by Wellness. Hopefully it works well for your pups!

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:05 pm

If Holistic Select does not work, have you tried Fromm? Charlotte and Buddy eat it and they are doing really well on it. I can not remember how much we pay for it though. We have tried many different dog foods and this is finally a dog food that agrees with their sensitive stomachs and they really like. We get the Pork and Applesauce but they have several different formulas(including Duck and Fish).

http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d.php

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Do you have a Costco near you? Nature's Domain is on sale thru 4/17 for $27.99 for 35 lbs salmon sweet potato

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Yeah, so here's the issue with almost all foods... If I'm going to start spending more on Sheila, I might as well find a food for both dogs...

But find me a food thats less than $2 a pound, that does not contain Beef, Chicken (Romeo's allergies), or Lamb (gives sheila toxic gas), and is not "too grainy"...

Grains don't bother me... they are digested just fine. As long as my dogs look great, feel great, are itch and gas free (for my comfort as well as theirs) I'm happy. I just want the best bang for my buck, so I can spend more money on them elsewhere as all my discretionary income goes to the pets...

Raw :aha:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:31 pm

FBODGRL wrote:
Raw :aha:

Didn't I mention in another thread recently I was too lazy and cheap? I've tried raw, and didn't like it. I don't like cooking for myself, and I don't like "cooking/meal planning" for my dogs either... I'm currently eating twizzlers for dinner at my office desk taking a break from paperwork. My dogs STILL eat better than I do!

Return to “Health Issues”