Running out of energy......

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
rokstrr
Newborn Bully

Running out of energy......

Postby rokstrr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Ok....Bali has always been kind of a mellow dog. She is now 9 months old. And would rather just lay around and be super lazy. She will however get random burst of energy thru-out the day and torment the big dog and play in the back yard and run in circles. But whenever we try and do something with her she has zero energy. For example we took all 3 dogs and all 3 kids for a walk the other night. Just around the block. Nothing crazy long. We get down the street, she stops, sits then lays. Just like I'm done. This is as far as I go. Its a battle to keep her going. And she is sooooo slow. Wont keep up and wont run when we all run. Then as soon as we get him she doesnt even go straight to the water dish like the other dogs. she goes and sprawls out on the kitchen floor. When we got her, she was the runt of the litter and when we took her to the vet they said she had a slight murmer. But that it will likely go away on its own. Took her back to the vet for her next set of shots and they said the murmer was gone. She is fine and healthy. But I'm concerned that with her lack of energy there may be something else wrong. Or is she just a lazy dog? Any ideas?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: Running out of energy......

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:34 pm

If she were mine, I'd maybe run some bloodwork to see if there is anything strange going on. It's true that dogs have different energy levels, but you know her best. If you feel something is wrong, go with your instincts.

rokstrr
Newborn Bully

Postby rokstrr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Part of me says she is just lazy....since she has always been that way. But the other part of me says....she was the runt. There might be something wrong.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:18 pm

That would concern me, too. I would have a cardiologist check your dog's heart. There's a Clinic being held near you in a week, which is pretty coincidental, because I couldn't find any more for months. They're just offering ascultation (stethescope), not ultrasound, which gives more info, but if you can take advantage of this, I would. Both my dogs are cardiologist cleared.

http://offa.org/clinics.html

Scottsdale, AZ
WhenSunday, Sep 12, 2010
Where 20801 N. Scottsdale Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85255 (map)
DescriptionCavalier King Charles Spaniel Club of Central Arizona, Inc. Health Clinics

Time(s): 8:00am-4:30pm (ending time dependant upon appointments)

Cardiac: (ascultation) $50
Hip Dysplasia: $100 submitted to OFA /$85 Unsubmitted
Elbow Dysplasia: $60 submitted to OFA/ $50 unsubmitted
Patellar Luxation: $50 submitted to OFA/ $40 unsubmitted
Shoulder OCD: $75 submitted to OFA/ $65 unsubmitted
OFA Thyroid (MSU): $100
AKC DNA: $50
Microchip: $40
CERF: $35

Sedation is extra (required for dogs over 80 lbs or at doctor’s discretion)

Preregistration Required. http://www.cavalierclubofarizona.com/clinic.html - cavalierclubofarizona@gmail.com

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:22 pm

Riddle ran into this problem at a little over a year old. She just couldn't do anything anymore, she'd get tired out. I would literally have to DRAG or carry her back from a 45 minute walk. I got really worried about her heart, so I took her to visit our vet. Her heart checked out fine, and he said it was POSSIBLE she had a thyroid condition, but he thought possibly she was not absorbing nutrients properly. We decided to try her on a supplement that is already broken down and easily absorbed, called Canine Whole Body by Standard Process. It worked like a charm and Riddle can go for ages now! She is still by nature lazy, but she can exercise when she wants/needs to. So definitely bring that up to your vet!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:03 am

I agree with Leslie, get the heart checked by a cardiologist. A 9-month-old puppy should really not be that lethargic.

rokstrr
Newborn Bully

Postby rokstrr » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:48 am

@ Leslie......thank you thank you for that information. I would never know how to find that out. I think I will take her and get her heart looked at and if they rule that out, then I will go the route of checking her thyroids like savage destiny suggested.

Thanks guys. Your a big help

Return to “Health Issues”