To neuter or not..

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Diesel2010
Newborn Bully

To neuter or not..

Postby Diesel2010 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:54 am

I'm not sure if this is in the right place..

Diesel is now 5 months and some say, neuter him at the age of 6 months and some say, wait untill he is at least 1,5 years and others say, don't neuter him at all.

Any comments about it?

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: To neuter or not..

Postby Scarsmommy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 am

Everyone is going to have differnt opinions on this. We got Scar neutered at 15 weeks and he has matured just fine. I have also seen puppies get fixed as young as 8 weeks and do just fine.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:58 am

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:34 am

Depends on what you want to do with him. If he's just a pet and the testosterone is of no benefit to him... get it done sooner so the surgery will be easier on him.

If you're going to do sports etc, go ahead and let the testosterone stay in his system until after the growht plates close.

To the best of our knowledge at this time, there are no health benefits to neutering early in dogs, just the benefit of preventing life from happening between now and when your dog is 7. Your dog will get the same benefits at a neuter at 7 as he gets from a neuter at 7 months, so long as the nasty side effects (prostatic infection, perineal hernias) have not already occured.

There are more surgical complications to neutering an old dog. The nasty coin purse, increased likelihood of scrotal hematomas, increased pain, longer anesthesia time.

Its up to you to weigh the risks and benefits based on what you have planned for your dog.

Diesel2010
Newborn Bully

Postby Diesel2010 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:58 am

I'm not trying to start a discussion that has already been...discussed.

I just want to hear opinions from people who had their dogs neutered at an early age and the reasons behind it.
If i let Diesel be neutered at the age of 6 months it will be because he has the tendency to become dog agressive.
I don't want to let his hormones take over, i want them out of the equation.

Diesel2010
Newborn Bully

Postby Diesel2010 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:00 am

@Misskiwi67: I have no plans with Diesel just that he has to be a lovable pet. :))

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:30 am

i waited until about 18 months with my border collie (the only dog i've had to make the decision about). my priority was allowing him to grow out to the correct proportions so as to hopefully avoid any orthopedic issues down the line. and that's not just because he's a sport dog. plenty of pet dogs have these problems, too, and pet owners still have to pay for the surgery, just the same. so many pit bulls blow out their knees, there are indications that it may be partially related to spay/neuter before maturity (along with other things).

read the discussions that have been had and decide what you feel the most comfortable with.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:01 am

Arnold was neutered prior to 5 months when I found him. He has very long legs but that is it as for signs of being neutered early, thus far. He's 6 years old and knock on wood (or I'll just die) has no structural issues (again) thus far. He refuses to roam and when let out of my yard once he went to the front yard and waited by the front door for me. He also (well, when given the chance) fights, marks, humps, and chatters with intact females. He went through a stage at 1-2 years old and had a near constant boner that, like any young boy, he couldn't help but play with constantly. Seriously, It was an embarrassing time. lol

I suppose it's a hit or miss but if he's this naughty (he's actually my perfect angel who can do no wrong) having been altered so young I often wonder what he would have been like intact, easier? or hell on wheels?

I also have two intact males, Teddy (a chi) and Backup (a mal). Teddy I left intact until he was mature to allow his tiny build to fill out and I don't regret it. Teddy DOES like to roam but he'll come back without fail (given something hasn't eaten him). He doesn't mark, fight, or hump but will chatter (honestly my females, intact or not will often). Backup is only 8 months but unless a medical or temperamental reason arrises I will keep him intact because we'll have the option of breeding him post titling. He has some very large boots to fill before I seriously consider it but I would like the option to remain for now. I haven't given him a chance to see if he likes to roam. Backup does not fight, hump, mark or chatter thus far but he's still a youngin.

In the end I feel it should be an owners choice however owning intact dogs can be a real pain in the butt and the average pet owner isn't really interested in the hassle. Most of the "bad dog" traits associated with intact dogs are in my opinion training flaws however some are harder to correct with intact dogs.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:06 pm

If your dog is intended only as a pet, and you want to maximize your odds of avoiding dog aggression, I would neuter at 6 months.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:24 pm

I had Paco neutered at 12 weeks with no averse side effects. He grew into a dog-tolerant dog.

Xdog (non pit, 20 lb Xoloizcuintle) was fixed at 6 months because I didn't want to deal with a heat cycle. Originally I was going to let her mature fully and then fix her, but as a smaller dog she was nearly full-sized at 6 months, I had no intentions on breeding her, and like I said before, I didn't want to deal with a bleeding dog.

Huckleberry was fixed at 4 months. At that stage he was just a foster but he's naturally a jerk so I figured it was best to minimize dog-dog/behavioral issues. I also hate the look of a big butt-hole (which he like to flash us with all the time) :yucky: He's leggy as sin but that's also in line with the type of blue dogs being thrown in Oakland these days so I don't think it's because of the neutering (though who really knows).

I agree with Sarah, if you have no plans other than to keep him as a pet and you want to minimize possible behavioral issues, I'd do it soon.

Otis
Addicted to PBF

Postby Otis » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Does late neutering equal bigger butt hole?
Kind of off topic, but I was just thinking about pit bulls and their butts because my new foster is pretty much allll butt hole because of a severe case of worms (and lots of irritation) lol

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Otis wrote:Does late neutering equal bigger butt hole?
Kind of off topic, but I was just thinking about pit bulls and their butts because my new foster is pretty much allll butt hole because of a severe case of worms (and lots of irritation) lol

I haven't done a scientific study, but I've noticed that whenever I see a dog's butt hole that is just really big and gross, the dog has been allowed to hit sexual maturity. Maybe it's just coincidence, it's probably not the only factor, and I'm too lazy to google for answers (the first few hits were enough to convince me to postpone the search until after coffee lol ), but maybe someone here some some sort of information about the correlation (if there is one).

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:34 pm

I rescued Saint (from an interesting rescue) when he was 5 months old. He was "returned" and was originally adopted out at 8 weeks old, right after his neuter. I personally think 8 weeks is ridiculously early, but that situation was beyond my control.

He's going to be 3 years old in November and hasn't had any health problems (aside from unrelated demodex as a pup).

My opinion would be to neuter your dog pretty soon. He sounds about the proper age, especially if he's not to be involved in sport.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Shamoo, my spayed (but bred) female, has a huge butthole.. its highly offensive...

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:25 pm

I had both my male and female done at the age of 6 months old. I had the female done because I didn't want to deal with a female in heat - or the neighborhood dogs that would react because of it.

I had my male done, because I didn't want the gross drippy smegma penis that all of the intact males have *Yuck!*
I also didn't want my male getting all whiney and restless when female dogs around town came into heat.

I've had both intact males and females. I wanted a change of pace. I don't regret my decision. :)

Return to “Health Issues”