Rain had surgery

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
trip8581
Bully Lover 4 Life

Rain had surgery

Postby trip8581 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:49 pm

My vet (who is also a friend) did not want me to wait any longer to get Rain in for surgery, so we went ahead and had it done. Since I had raised a little over $1000 and I told them that I was continuing to fundraise (with the PBF auction & other stuff) - she offered to personally loan me the money for the surgery which was beyond amazing of her. The surgery was done at a specialty clinic (not her hospital) by a surgeon who she often sends cases to, so he gave us a little discount on the surgery. Now I am just working hard to fundraise to pay back my vet and for all the chemo treatments ahead.

The surgery went amazing well and the surgeon did an awesome job on her face. I was not sure how she would look since he took a marble sized tumor out of her face and he said the tumor went all the way down to the bone. They were not able to get clean margins as they would have had to cut through bone and cartilage in order to do so which was not really an option. She was originally only supposed to stay over one night, but they were having trouble getting the area to clot, so they had to go back in the next day, sedate her, and put in the sort of sealing mechanism to help the area clot. So she ended up staying over 2 nights which was really hard at least for me! They removed the tumor on her nose and the lymph node from her neck, so she has 2 incisions and then they sent them out for biopsy. The surgeon put in pink sutures! Rain is doing amazing well post surgery and except for having to wear a cone she is in great spirits.

The biopsy results came back showing that the mast cell tumor is a grade 2 which is pretty much what I was hoping for. I knew it would not be a 1 and I was hoping it would not be a 3 as that would have been really bad.

There are a few different options for the cancer treatment -
#1 - radiation to the nose which will cost ~$8000 and will be quite uncomfortable/painful as it will cause the skin to slough off and sores/burns to occur. It also only kills the cancer in a localized area. I am pretty much against doing this one due to cost, effects on Rain, & overall benefit is local. Since the cancer had spread you would ideally want to do this with chemo which would increase the cost. Even if I had unlimited funds I am not sure I would put Rain through this!

#2 - 6 mths of chemo with multiple drugs cost ~$4000 - injections every week for first few weeks then every other week for the remainder. Generalized treatment of the entire body, not as effective as radiation, less side effects, but good options, still quite costly.

#3 - 3 mths of chemo using 1 drug and prednisone cost ~$2000 (can possibly get drug from local pharmacy for lower cost) - generalized treatment of entire body, less side effects, still good option, less cost.

The oncologist said that since we did not get the entire tumor out there is a good chance it will come back, but there is a good chance with any MCT that the dog will get another MCT at some point in their life. She also said that I could do the most aggressive treatment spend $$$$$$ and Rain could still get cancer again. Every dog is different as to how they react to a treatment and how well they do on it.

At this point I am leaning towards option #3 as then I have treated the cancer with chemo, but I have not gone overboard with cost or side effects towards Rain. Cancer does not seem to be an exact science and she could do very well with this treatment.

I have at least until she gets her sutures out on the 16th before we start any sort of treatment to make a decision. And I have to keep fundraising before I will be able to pay for any sort of treatments at all as I have not even covered the surgery costs yet. Thanks so much for everyone who has helped me thus far and for all of the support on this forum - it has been amazing! You are all awesome! :headbang:

jamielvsaustin

Re: Rain had surgery

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Good luck, and post pictures of the healing baby when you can. I think I'd choose option 3 as well. It just seems safer to me to start with the lowest kind of treatment and see if that works and move up in treatment if you have to, rather than starting at the top and having no where to go from there and on top of that possibly causing Rain more discomfort than is needed.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Glad she is doing well!!

Sounds like #3 is the way to go. Of course keep us updated regularly on her progress!!

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:12 pm

Whew - I wasn't sure how soon you would get in for surgery... At least you have a couple of options tho not all pocketbook friendly... Thanks for the update!!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Im glad things went well for miss rain!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 pm

How awesome of your vet/friend. I'm sure it's a relief to be able to get her into surgery sooner rather than later. I hope she's recovering well and Molly and I continue our good thoughts for Rain's healing :hug:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm

That sounds really good. I'm so impressed by your veterinarian. I'm pleased that you've got a couple of options.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Keeping you guys in our thoughts!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Wow! you are lucky to have such support!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:08 pm

We have a dog doing chemo option #3 right now for a nasty grade 3 thats also in his lymph nodes and spleen, and the dog is doing great so far, no side effects whatsoever from the chemo :D

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:03 am

I'll be keeping you and Rain in my thoughts and prayers.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:06 pm

So glad things seem to be going smoothly! Your vet is seriously wonderful. I hope you and Rain have many more healthy, happy days together.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Sending you and Rain :hug:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Keeping you in our thoughts

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life