Fleas and Babies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
blackeyedblonde
Newborn Bully

Fleas and Babies

Postby blackeyedblonde » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:41 pm

My 7 week old puppy has some nasty fleas. His vet gave him an oral flea medicine, but obviously he's too little for Frontline and most shampoos. Are there any shampoos that are puppy safe and effective at getting rid of fleas? Other than flea-combing him every 5 minutes like I have been, is there anything I can do to get rid of the nasty little bugs????

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: Fleas and Babies

Postby Sarah » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:48 pm

He's not too little for Frontline. It's safer than flea shampoos.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:47 pm

Anti bacterial dish soap kills fleas better than any flea shampoo I've ever tried. However, with any shampoo, it only kills the fleas on the dog at the time of the bath. As soon as you set the pup down, fleas in your house or outside will jump right back on him.

Considering fleas lay their eggs OFF the dog (like in your carpet, furniture, pet bedding, etc.) you DO have fleas breeding in your house.

Most vets won't give puppies under 9 weeks topical flea meds. But you can buy the same products over the counter at most pet or feed stores.

I second what Sarah said.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Frontline and Advantage are approved in other countries for pups much younger than 7 weeks. Use it.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:46 pm

Stay away from flea and tick shampoos. They are very toxic to puppies.

Revolution is a good flea product approved for dogs 6 weeks and older. You can also ask your vet about taking a few more of the pills (I'm assuming it was Capstar which the puppy can take once a day), as Revolution is not quite as fast as Frontline.

Return to “Health Issues”