Cookie has new lumps :(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Re: Cookie has new lumps :(

Postby littleCloClo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:34 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind words and good wishes. Thank you, too, for offering to help. We will be able to pay for her care, just not until next week.

Misskiwi67 wrote:What is the $100 injection? If its a steroid injection, it shouldn't cost $100...

In my hands, oral steroids give 2-4 months of quality time... so I would really like to know what the other injection is...

Interesting. This veterinary office has always been very reasonable about cost; I hope this doesn't mean things are changing there, though I've not dealt with anything like this with them before.

The injection is supposed to be given at the beginning of the steroid protocol, and it is supposed to help the steroids work more effectively. It's $150, and they don't keep it in stock. (Maybe that's a clue?) I called the office to find out the name of it, but the receptionist said my file is still in that doctor's office, which is locked. She is going to call me back when he comes in.

At the time of the visit, he said the steroid treatment would give us a couple of months, but now he's saying up to nine. I wonder if it's because he thinks it was "caught early"?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:31 pm

:hug:

Sending positive thoughts for Cookie.

Don't feel like a tool about expense. I think all of us want what is best for our pets, but none of us have total unlimited funds either.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers your way

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Alrighty, just spoke to the vet, who wanted to know if I had at least picked up the prednisone, so that was fun to have to explain again that we can't do that until next week. Anyhow, I asked him about the $150 injection, and it's Elspar (L-asparaginase). I have not yet been able to find any information on the typical cost of this drug, though for reference, Cookie is 63 lbs. He is going to order it and have all her meds ready for her when we come in next week.

He seems to think we can get her lymph nodes to shrink enough to keep her pretty comfortable for a while. Cookie is still acting like a goofy nerd, so that is good. We'll just follow her lead and do our best to keep her happy. :)

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm

littleCloClo wrote:Alrighty, just spoke to the vet, who wanted to know if I had at least picked up the prednisone, so that was fun to have to explain again that we can't do that until next week. Anyhow, I asked him about the $150 injection, and it's Elspar (L-asparaginase). I have not yet been able to find any information on the typical cost of this drug, though for reference, Cookie is 63 lbs. He is going to order it and have all her meds ready for her when we come in next week.

He seems to think we can get her lymph nodes to shrink enough to keep her pretty comfortable for a while. Cookie is still acting like a goofy nerd, so that is good. We'll just follow her lead and do our best to keep her happy. :)

WALGREENS Prescription Savings Club $20 FOR A YEAR MEMBERSHIP FOR 1 PERSON OR 1DOG

Pricing Calculator For Common Quantities

https://webapp.walgreens.com/PrdPSCTool ... lMetaData=

To use the tool follow the steps below:
Enter a partial or full drug name in the Drug Name textbox.
Click the Drug Search button.
Select the appropriate drug from the Select a Drug list that appears.
Select a quantity from the Savings Club Qty drop-down list.
To select another drug, repeat steps 1-3.
Drug Name: Drug Search

ELSPAR

Check a box below and click the Remove button to remove drug from table.

Drug Name(s)
Best Value
Quantity*
Savings Club Qty
Savings Club Price

ELSPAR 10000U INJ, 1 VIAL
N/A
1 ea Vial $62.03

You could joun RX club for Cookie (worth it since you may need more for her RXs in the future ). Get RX for vial(s) from vet, get vial and have Vet inject it. I check all meds here before buying them from the vet! Or maybe he can match the price at least a little?

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Oooooo, wow, thanks! That's huge!

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:48 pm

Cookie had her blood drawn this evening, but didn't get any meds and her bladder was too small to get anything. The vet she was seeing is on vacation and hadn't really given me complete information. Apparently the Elspar requires five to ten hours of observation to ensure that she doesn't have any reactions, some of which can take some time, including pancreatic issues, I think. Anyhow, I'm dropping her off Friday morning, and she will get the Elspar and the steroids, and they'll watch her for the day. They'll get her urine then too. I feel better taking the conservative route and having them watch her versus trying to rush her there should something happen.

I hope the medications don't cause her too much misery and they do indeed bring her comfort and reduce the swelling.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:42 am

Sending more positive thought :pray

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 am

Keeping you guys in my thoughts!

magillicutty_momma
Newborn Bully

Postby magillicutty_momma » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:30 am

:pray Cookie, you're in our prayers sweetiepie ♥♥ Sending lots of luv & good wishes your way!

jrowephoto
Super Bully

Postby jrowephoto » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:12 am

Sending lots of prayers your way. Happy thoughts!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Stay strong Cookie.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Thank you again, everyone! Cookiebear seems to be doing well and keeping in good spirits, though I see her with a much more critical eye now that I know she's not just feeling her age. I have a four day weekend so I'll be able to keep a good watch on her.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Cookie is spending the day at the vet, and I'm happy to report that her blood panel came back nearly perfect! Her liver and kidneys functions are good, her cholesterol is good. The only things that were a little high were lipase and amylase (I am sure I have spelled those incorrectly) but it's nothing to be concerned with. :) Hopefully this bodes well for her handling the medication. The tech that was dealing with her was being a total sweetheart with her, which I really appreciated.

Chloe was a bit perturbed when I came home without Cookie, but she has calmed down and is having what looks to be a very nice nap.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Glad her blood work was good. Make sure to keep us updated.

Return to “Health Issues”