Heat stroke...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Re: Heat stroke...

Postby starrlamia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:06 pm

chewbecca wrote:I don't want to be a jerk here, but Misskiwi lost her dog in a tragic accident which she feels AWFUL about, and people are arguing about how bad it is to keep a dog shut in a car. I think it's a little tacky, to say the least, and I think it's a little...mean.

We all know that it's not good to leave a dog in a car for long periods of time in extreme weather, but it's not like she left the dog shut in the car in 90 degree weather, with the sun glaring in on the car, to run into a crack house down a few blocks where she remained for the majority of the day.

She lost her dog. Do you think rubbing salt in the wound is going to make anything better?

Sorry, I am just speaking in general. I know what it's like to lose a dog that was one of the most beloved creatures on the planet to me, ever, and to think "What if I...?". I know our situations aren't the same, but she's feeling the loss of her dog.

I doubt she needs anyone to tell her what they think about her leaving her dog in the car...38583 times.

Im not posting to rub salt in any wounds and Im not even talking about Misskiwi directly. In fact if you read my posts directed at her I say how sorry I am that it happened. What I do think is important is pointing out the dangers of leaving your dog in your car like that, what happened is horrible but it was preventable. We wouldnt be having this discussion if someone posted about their dog dying when they left them at home with another dog unsupervised, there would be many people posting angry posts about how irresponsible it is. Im not trying to be a jerk, I posted because it bugged me, besides Misskiwi posted this topic to bring attention to how dangerous it is to leave your dog in your car and how heat stroke can happen when you dont expect it to. If this thread was in memorial I wouldnt bring it up, but its in the health section.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:09 pm

you have a valid point, Starrlamia.

I guess it's just whenever someone in our PBF community loses one of their dogs, it hits me badly, and most of the time I cannot even post in the announcement threads (as most probably have noticed, I still cannot bring myself to type up a memorial thread for Ella).

As I said, I don't mean to be a jerk. But you are right that this is not in the memorial section.
I guess it just struck me as a little tacky.

No offense meant.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:14 pm

chewbecca wrote:you have a valid point, Starrlamia.

I guess it's just whenever someone in our PBF community loses one of their dogs, it hits me badly, and most of the time I cannot even post in the announcement threads (as most probably have noticed, I still cannot bring myself to type up a memorial thread for Ella).

As I said, I don't mean to be a jerk. But you are right that this is not in the memorial section.
I guess it just struck me as a little tacky.

No offense meant.

np and I dont mean to offend anyone either, Ive been here long enough to get upset when someone's pet dies and this year has been horrible. Ive cried for quite a few of the dogs we've lost :( I never meant to be a jerk toward Misskiwi it is a terrible situation.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Im not posting to rub salt in any wounds .
What I do think is important is pointing out the dangers of leaving your dog in your car like that, what happened is horrible but it was preventable.

But you are rubbing salt in Kiwi's wounds intended or not.
So start a seperate thread.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Maven wrote:
Im not posting to rub salt in any wounds .
What I do think is important is pointing out the dangers of leaving your dog in your car like that, what happened is horrible but it was preventable.

But you are rubbing salt in Kiwi's wounds intended or not.
So start a seperate thread.

I honestly dont think that is neccessary at this point :)

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm

And does that make you proud?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:33 pm

Maven wrote:And does that make you proud?

You havent really read any of my posts have you?

I dont believe in sugar coating things, i dont believe in telling someone that something isnt their fault, when it is, to eleviate their guilt. Im a blunt and honest person and I realize that doesnt mesh with all other personalities. I'm ok with that.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Its ok guys... I really appreciate you sticking up for me... but SOMETHING good has to come of this, and I honestly expected worse. I want people to know what happened, that it can happen even with the best of intentions, because I and everyone else who was there that day was shocked. It was unexpected, which makes it even more important that my story get out there.

I would give anything to go back in time and have had one of the car gates like what was posted on the previous page.

It was sunny today, and I made a point of NOT turning on the A/C on my way home with Romeo, just to see what would happen and what it would feel like. The car was uncomfortably warm, but not unbearably so, I was hot but not sweaty. Its a 25 minute drive home, and Romeo was barely panting. It was NOT that hot outside, and it was not that hot in the car... but the thermometer didn't lie... she died of heat stroke. It was just a little too hot, for just a little too long.

I expected this discussion, I expected worse, and I appreciate the support. I screwed up, if it hadn't happened to me and someone else had posted their story, I would have called it an unfortunate, but sadly preventable accident, and I would probably be in complete agreement with Starrlmania. I had the best of intentions, but it WAS preventable... and if I can prevent one more accident, then my trauma of reliving my accident every time I open this thead will be worth it. Nothing will ever make the loss of my baby-girl OK... but I can share my story and try to help others.

Knowledge is the power of prevention... thats what I want, no matter what it takes to get there.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:15 pm

:hugs:
misskiwi you are such a strong woman, and I find you an inspiration.
I hope you dont take what I have said as a personal attack, as that was not what it was ever meant to be.

patty

Postby patty » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 pm

Misskiwi thank you for opening up your broken heart to us. We all love and respect you. We could never thank you enough nor repay you for your advice and help when our dogs are sick.

I am in awe that through your grief you are able to put your heart and soul out here.

We have all been reminded now of what can happen.

We all will make something good come out of this as you hope and pray for. None of us will forget Sheila and that will keep us mindful on those warm days.

:hug:

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:53 pm

oh gosh. i am so very very sorry for your loss.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:55 pm

starrlamia wrote:I dont believe in sugar coating things, i dont believe in telling someone that something isnt their fault, when it is, to eleviate their guilt. Im a blunt and honest person and I realize that doesnt mesh with all other personalities. I'm ok with that.

There is being blunt, and there is lacking tact. There is a fine line between the two, and in a thread like this, I think that you are strongly leaning towards the second.

I'm an ex-Oregonian, and I left my dogs in my car all the time. If you want to call me neglectful, up yours. Seriously. I think that the idea that you should NEVER EVER EVER leave a dog in a car is like how you should NEVER EVER EVER co-sleep with your baby. The NEVER EVER EVER is to discourage the morons who don't have the common sense to understand when a situation is inappropriate. You know as well as I do that it's perfectly safe to co-sleep with your baby if you are careful, but if you are drunk and under a ton of blankets, not so much. The same goes with leaving dogs in cars. It CAN be safe, and it's ignorant to assume that it is dangerous in all situations.

And as a poster in the rough area as Alinda, it hasn't been very hot here, or sunny. The weather has been, honestly, very Oregon-ish. I worked in the veterinary field for 13 years as well, in both Iowa and Oregon (mostly the later). Heat stroke deaths are honestly not all that common, despite all of these dogs being left in cars.

I find it very hard to believe that she actually died of heat stroke, and would put money on it being something else. Sadly, some of the weird heart issues that her breed is susceptible to are not ones that will always show signs in a necropsy, so it's hard to say. And as you said, perhaps she threw a clot.

Alinda, I am so, so sorry for your loss.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Odnarb wrote:
starrlamia wrote:I dont believe in sugar coating things, i dont believe in telling someone that something isnt their fault, when it is, to eleviate their guilt. Im a blunt and honest person and I realize that doesnt mesh with all other personalities. I'm ok with that.

There is being blunt, and there is lacking tact. There is a fine line between the two, and in a thread like this, I think that you are strongly leaning towards the second.

I'm an ex-Oregonian, and I left my dogs in my car all the time. If you want to call me neglectful, up yours. Seriously. I think that the idea that you should NEVER EVER EVER leave a dog in a car is like how you should NEVER EVER EVER co-sleep with your baby. The NEVER EVER EVER is to discourage the morons who don't have the common sense to understand when a situation is inappropriate. You know as well as I do that it's perfectly safe to co-sleep with your baby if you are careful, but if you are drunk and under a ton of blankets, not so much. The same goes with leaving dogs in cars. It CAN be safe, and it's ignorant to assume that it is dangerous in all situations.

I was not being tactless, I wont write what I could have said if I was being tactless.
In any case we can agree to disagree on the leaving dogs in car thing, because I feel very strongly about it.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:48 pm

starrlamia wrote:
Odnarb wrote:

I was not being tactless, I wont write what I could have said if I was being tactless.
In any case we can agree to disagree on the leaving dogs in car thing, because I feel very strongly about it.

Yeah, actually it is pretty tactless to out and out say someone killed their dog through neglect when they were only trying to do the best thing and paid a very dear price for a mistake.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:08 am

Savage Destiny wrote:
starrlamia wrote:
Odnarb wrote:

Yeah, actually it is pretty tactless to out and out say someone killed their dog through neglect when they were only trying to do the best thing and paid a very dear price for a mistake.

I never pointed anything I was saying at Misskiwi I always talked about the topic in general, you are reading more into my words then I have said. I never made it personal, but I can, IMO leaving a dog in a situation that it can die is neglectful plain and simple. Dogs die in cars from overheating all of the time, just like offleash dogs get hit by cars and unattended dogs get into fights, these are situations where you accept the fact that you are risking your dogs health and life, and if something happens to your dog while you put it at risk, then that is not something I will coddle you about, that is something I will feel sorry for you about but I wont pretend it wasnt your fault (i seem to recall lots of threads where people openly state how they think people put their dogs at risk and dogs paying the price...). The sad part is if you do a search and look for threads on articles and topics of dogs dying in cars because they were left there for any length of time, you will find some of the same people in this thread who dont like my posts, angry at the people who caused the death of those dogs. It's a sad situation, but it is what it is, your choices effect not only you but also your pets health and life.
I dont see a point in arguing about this any longer, you can agree to disagree with me and you can call my tactless, but I am not sorry for what Ive written.

Return to “Health Issues”