Too hard at tug of war??!! lost puppy teeth

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Bodegus
Newborn Bully

Too hard at tug of war??!! lost puppy teeth

Postby Bodegus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:31 pm

So... I was playing tug of war with Marco (14 weeks old) he started bleeding all over the rope and is missing a canine tooth. I know they eventually lose the teeth so I'm not concerned about the immediate loss but I'm worried I might be playing tug too hard... is that possible? Tug is his favorite game and a great way to burn off his puppy energy but I don't want to wreck his future mouth...

trexgorawrrrrr
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Too hard at tug of war??!! lost puppy teeth

Postby trexgorawrrrrr » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Yes, you could be playing tug too hard. You need to remember that their teeth are fragile, so you have to be careful when playing tug. You don't want to swing the puppy around, or pull to hard. Let the puppy do the pulling for the most part, and I also would let go if I felt like my puppy was pulling to hard. You can shake it some, but not pull too hard...

I wouldn't fret over the loss of that one tooth, but now you know not to pull to hard because of what may happen. When I first saw blood all over one of my puppy's toys it kind of freaked me out. I also would take away bones if he started to bleed from chewing on them.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:26 am

It's pretty common for stuff like that to happen when pups are teething. When playing tug, like said above, no swinging or anything, just hold the rope and let the pup tug itself.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:55 am

I made this mistake with Luke, but it wasn't a canine tooth.
And he was fine, but yeah, I just held the rope after that.

But when they are pups, it seems, they lose teeth left and right. Mine would lose them, and I'd freak out because there'd be so much blood all of a sudden on a toy or something.
My two would play with each other and both would then come up to me all bloody because one (or both) would lose teeth while playing.

Bodegus
Newborn Bully

Postby Bodegus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback. He lost his other canine (presumably on a nylabone) so I feel a bit better :D

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:32 pm

IDK, I wouldn't worry about it. Angel plays very rough with dogs who will allow it and as a puppy several times he was completely bloody all over his face and neck from losing a baby tooth due to rough play. Of course it was blood mixed with saliva from rough play and the dogs mouthing each other but we just washed the dogs off and let them play again. He had no ill effects from it and his adult teeth came in just fine.

Bodegus
Newborn Bully

Postby Bodegus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 am

The vet give his mouth, gums, and teeth a great bill of health when I went in for a distemper booster. Toss this one into the over cautious new owner bucket :D

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Stella lost a baby tooth while playing tug a couple of times. No biggy. :)

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:34 pm

Loki grabbed the back of my pants leg while I was walking up the hallway after assuming she was passed out on the couch and one of her baby canines snapped in half. Their baby teeth can break unbelievably easy.

Return to “Health Issues”