wellness

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
datdude68
Newborn Bully

wellness

Postby datdude68 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:03 pm

Can anyone share their experience with Wellness Core Im thinking about trying my dogs out on it.

NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Re: wellness

Postby NorCalRose » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:59 pm

I have my dogs on Wellness Core Reduced Fat. Two of our dogs have allergies, one worse than the other and they do really well on the Core.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:32 am

Molly went through two 30lbs bags of Wellness Core Ocean earlier this year. I think it's a pretty good quality kibble but she didn't do as well on it as she has on some other brands. Her poops got bigger and I had to feed her more cups than her previous kibble which was lower protein & calories to keep her weight up (I keep her on the lean side to begin with so it's really obvious to me if she's lost a pound or two). I think that even the regular formula is a bit low in fat and I think that's why I had to feed her more.

pitsnok
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitsnok » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:29 am

Our dogs did great on CORE. we recently switched to TOTW just because it's cheaper and we have two (more than likely) long-term fosters.
I highly recommend the Wellness. If we do ever find homes for boss and Ollie I'm sure we will switch back.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:18 am

We fed Leo Wellness Core for about 5 months and he did great on it. I'd recommend the food to anyone. We then switched to TOTW because it was cheaper, but if you can afford Wellness, I'd try it out. Leo's poops were solid on both Wellness and TOTW, but I think that may differ per dog. We're now feeding raw, but if I went back to kibble for some reason, I'd go for Wellness most likely.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:45 pm

Cherry does amazing on Wellness Ocean Core. She's leaned out and has muscle tone now. Her allergies aren't as bad and she LOVES it. Her poops are perfect and small all the time too. We also feed Wellness 95% canned salmon. :)

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Unlike most everyone else on the board, I'm really not into all these no-grain, high protein foods.

Only about 10% of dogs allergies are to food, and although wheat and corn are two of the top three allergens (the third being beef) most dogs can do fine on rice or oats as a grain.

Also, while there isn't alot of scientific proof that diets this high in protein can lead to kidney damage, anecdotal evidence and common sense veterinary medicine tells us that it can't possibly be beneficial for any reason for dogs to eat this type of food.

My dogs bounced between Orijen and Wellness Core when the Orijen wasn't available and two out of three of my dogs came up with elevated enzymes on their routine bloodwork. It was scary enough to prompt my vets to run further and extensive testing before coming up with no medical cause for either of their results. Simply switching them to a more "normal" kibble (California Naturals Herring and Sweet Potato) brought their bloodwork back within normal range.

Personally, I don't understand these diets. I'm all for feeding good food but am extremely suspicious about almost every commercial pet food company out there. I'm happy with what I feed now but if I ever had to switch, it would be only after a TON of research and calls to the food companies.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to add something...

I prefer a fish based food for all dogs with skin issues. It isn't a common allergen to our dogs yet and the omega fatty acids help support good skin health.

Inaras mom
Adolescent Bully

Postby Inaras mom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 am

I loved Inara on the Core, but like others, switched to TOTW due to price. The TOTW stinks (it doesn't make Inara stink, just the food is nasty smelling) but she's doing just as well on it as she did on Core, for about $15-$20 cheaper per bag.

datdude68
Newborn Bully

Postby datdude68 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:35 pm

I see a few of you switched from Wellness to TOTW. Well my 2 are on TOTW now and my felae has got fat on 3 cups a day shes about 75 pounds.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:58 pm

When we first started feeding TOTW, I followed the feeding guidelines on the bag and Molly developed a good layer of fat on her lol She got up to 53lbs and you couldn't see the last rib on her. I reduced to amount to a point where her overall look is on the leaner side and she averages about 48lbs most of the time.

As I noted before in my earlier post on this thread, she lost weight on Wellness Core and I had to feed her more but she still didn't look right so we switched back to TOTW. It sounds like it wouldn't hurt for you to give it a try but if you like everything else about how your dogs are doing on TOTW (i.e. stool firmness, coat condition, etc), you could just try feeding less :dunno:

datdude68
Newborn Bully

Postby datdude68 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:41 pm

mtlu wrote:When we first started feeding TOTW, I followed the feeding guidelines on the bag and Molly developed a good layer of fat on her lol She got up to 53lbs and you couldn't see the last rib on her. I reduced to amount to a point where her overall look is on the leaner side and she averages about 48lbs most of the time.

As I noted before in my earlier post on this thread, she lost weight on Wellness Core and I had to feed her more but she still didn't look right so we switched back to TOTW. It sounds like it wouldn't hurt for you to give it a try but if you like everything else about how your dogs are doing on TOTW (i.e. stool firmness, coat condition, etc), you could just try feeding less :dunno:

Mtlu I have her down to 3 cups a day and she acts likes shes starving. I at least want her to feel full. I think im going to try the wellness since your dog lost weight on it. You cant see any ribs my dog.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:36 am

If you dog looks great on a food yet they're still acting unbelievably hungry, try giving raw veggies like greenbeans or something. It's empty calories and helps them get full.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 am

I fed a bag of the Wellness Core I won in a raffle, once, the original recipe. They did well on it, but it is way too expensive for me to feed on a regular basis. It is a bit low on the fat, too, as previously mentioned. The regular diets probably fine, the low fat version is well below what I'd consider appropriate for a dog. It may be less fattening than the TOTW due to the lower fat content.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 am

It gave my dog diarrhea :( it was her first kibble food for one whole year.
I switch to Pedigree she did fine, but now I'm on Natural Balance Fish based and she is doing great :yipee:

Return to “Health Issues”