For the Pill-Popping Dogs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dot
Pit Bull Forum Addict

For the Pill-Popping Dogs

Postby dot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:11 am

What supplements/vitamins do you give your dog(s) and why? Do you feed raw or kibble, and do you think that affects what supplements you give?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: For the Pill-Popping Dogs

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:56 am

Salmon oil and vitamin e (for allergies)
Osteo-Biflex triple strength (luxating patella)
I also do coconut oil on and off, but I go back and forth on whether I see results and if it cost effective.

I just started feeding NV raw for one meal a day. Once I finish researching and planning I will be feeding raw 100% (not the premade). I don't plan to change or add any supplements and if his allergies improve I will likely cut back or eliminate the salmon oil and vitamin e.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Molly is close to four years old now and is fed kibble. She had a TPLO on one knee last year. Her supplements include:
pro-biotic – for digestive health and I think it also helps in the absorption of nutrients
kelp – good source of minerals, vitamins, a little extra protein
raw local honey – helps with seasonal allergies
glucosamine+chondroitin+msm gel caps (human grade) – for joint health

I've tried other things in the past like salmon oil and turmeric (for anti-inflammatory properties) but stopped the fish oil due to anal gland issues. I never saw much of a difference with the turmeric after 3 months so I stopped that. The raw local honey does definitely seem to help with Molly's seasonal allergies and I've seen a new level of shininess and softness in her coat with the addition of kelp for the last two months. One result of some kibble experimentation we made this past summer resulted in a duller, coarser coat so it's nice to see her coat improve but it could have also been switching her back to the kibble she has done best on. I may be adding coconut oil in the near future, but kind of want to go another month with the kelp before throwing something else into the mix. I try not to add more than one new thing at a time in order to be able to note what effect it might have.

Raw is just seemingly too daunting for me right now to understand and trust that I could do it properly. I feel like I would have to go the route of weighing every component (bone, muscle meat, organ meat, etc) in order to do it properly though I know quite a few people who just throw some parts in a bowl and their dogs seem just fine. I probably would supplement in much the same way if I fed Molly raw though – I don't think raw feeding alone would address some of the issues I supplement for.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:37 pm

I feed Ruby kibble for AM and raw for PM. She is on fish oil, vit-c, and glucos/chond/msm twice a day and vit-e once a day (all human grade). I have bought kelp in the past but right now I have started giving a half a human multi-vitamin on M-W-F instead. I am also feeding brewers yeast/garlic tabs that I HOPED had enough garlic to help with fleas but it didn't, so I'm not sure if I will buy another or if can see any specific results from it. I have not read or thought a lot about food vs supplement absorption.... I never thought Ruby's coat would get shiny and soft and it is pretty shiny and soft tho coarser than some APBTs I have fondled. I supplement for general skin/coat health and funky hips.

@ mtlu: what were the gland issues related to the fish oil? Ruby leaks a fair amount and I have to wipey wipey - was that your issue or clogging up, if I may ask about such grossness?

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:27 pm

@ HappyPuppy – yep, they had to be expressed like 3 times in 3 months after never having had to do so before. The fish oil made her stools a little looser and I think that caused her glands to not naturally flush themselves out properly. Before I stopped, I had given her fish oil for about 9 months I think – so it wasn't like we had just started using it and had given her too much. If I start her on coconut oil, I will most like ease into it and see where the right cadence is – I doubt I will give it everyday like I did with the fish oil.

How much and which kind of vit-C do you give Ruby?

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:47 pm

Kelp is also good for skin and tummies!

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 am

I love comparison discussions like this!
@mtlu - the last bottle I bought was regular vit-C but right after I bought it, I read that esther-C is better (absorbs better) and I am going to look into that now that this bottle is just emptied. I have been using Costco/Kirkland '1000mg with rose hips and citrus bioflavonoid complex' and I give one a breakfast and one at dinner.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:19 pm

^^ Thanks! Yes, I too had read that ester-C is the way to go and usually take that when I do use vit-C for myself.

dot
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby dot » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Jenna and mtlu - what is the vit-C/ester-C for?

We currently have Benny on MSM in the am and salmon oil 2x/day along with an adequan shot once a month for his pelvic problems.

I think I may start giving Benny kelp if it helps with the coat. His coat is a bit greasy feeling and coarse and my fingers turn black after rubbing his back. It even happens after a bath. He's currently on ToTW Bison formula.

Is salmon oil strictly for the coat or does it help with joints? I will have to talk to the rescue I'm fostering for before making a ton of changes, but with his pelvic issues he's doomed to early arthritis and I want to make things as comfortable as possible for him. He's not showing signs of being painful yet, which is good.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:23 pm

Here are two articles about dogs, vitamin C and joint issues:
http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0039.htm
http://www.cyberpet.com/dogs/articles/health/vitc.htm

I'm honestly still on the fence about it because the body can only absorb a certain amount of vit-C and the rest is flushed out. I used to do mass doses of vit-C to force my lymphatic system to drain when I got sick but my doctor wrinkled her nose at me and said to keep in mind how stressful that can be on the kidneys. If I do give it to Molly, it will most likely be a low-dosage just for overall anti-oxidant/immune system boost. She did have surgery on one knee already so I am concerned about joint health, hence the other supplements I give her.

Salmon oil is supposed to help inflammation of joints and I was giving that to her even before she tore her CCL and kept giving it to her as we were going through the process of diagnosis/treatment options until she had gland issues with it. It does help the skin & coat condition too.

The kelp I get is this one:
http://www.petkelp.com/
I have used the skin & coat formula and the anti-oxidant formula on Molly so far and I really saw a difference in her coat.

Washu
Newborn Bully

Postby Washu » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:15 pm

My dogs get Longevity from Springtime Inc.

Return to “Health Issues”