Why do you feed the food you do?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Why do you feed the food you do?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:I and my friend both are weirded out by the whole course. Every update she gives me makes me shiver, because their entire course is centering around how awesome Hill's is and how everything else is horrible for your pets.

Really?? My gosh I'm sorry... my nutrition course was not AT ALL like this, so I thought people just assumed Hills must force this stuff down our throats. My nutrition class was taught by someone who would not tell us who he was sponsored by (we assumed Hills) and would not make any recommendations on brands, and would not even tell us what he fed his own dogs. The only time during the entire month-long course where brand names were mentioned was during case studies for kidney disease and other chronic conditions treated by diet.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Veronica gets Fromm Four Star Nutritionals kibble which makes up probably half her diet.

The other half, in all honesty; consists 75% of training treats and 25% of food she eats with us...which I don't think is necessarily bad for her...she gets cooked chicken, beef, pork, cooked veggies, peanut butter and some grains such as toast/bagels/crackers...a bite here and there over the course of the day.

Nothing that is "bad" for dogs' and everything in moderation. She seems to do well with it...and since we have been exercising her more and cutting down food overall...she is holding her own weight wise.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Savage Destiny wrote:I and my friend both are weirded out by the whole course. Every update she gives me makes me shiver, because their entire course is centering around how awesome Hill's is and how everything else is horrible for your pets.

Really?? My gosh I'm sorry... my nutrition course was not AT ALL like this, so I thought people just assumed Hills must force this stuff down our throats. My nutrition class was taught by someone who would not tell us who he was sponsored by (we assumed Hills) and would not make any recommendations on brands, and would not even tell us what he fed his own dogs. The only time during the entire month-long course where brand names were mentioned was during case studies for kidney disease and other chronic conditions treated by diet.

Yeah, its pretty bad. Their "homework" is to go to the Hill's site and use a sign in to read material on nutrition that's basically all about how corn is awesome and meat protein is bad. They get kickbacks and free stuff from Hill's and I think she said Purina by completing the online course. Her teacher has actually made her go home and cry because she teases her about feeding Acana and tells her she's killing her dog.

maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:14 pm

I feed instinct with garlic/yeast tablets and apple sauce/fat free yogurt or cottage cheese. String cheese and chicken as training treats. I've tried a few premium kibbles and he's done fine on all of them except the really high protein ones. He'll get a beef marrow bone 2-3 times a week to chew on or sometimes a chicken quarter. I've researched raw for a while and would love to start on that but my freezer is tiny and I'm too cheap to drop the money on a standalone freezer at this point....that and he had some resource guarding issues with raw bones that have gotten much better but still working on.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:33 am

When I started feeding ToTW within three days Shelby stopped shedding profusely, stopped having a smell, and stopped scratching herself. The scratching wasn't terrible, just every now and then. Cole and Briar do very well on it, but Cole still has soft poo so I'm transitioning him back to Diamond Naturals since he did fantastic on it ever since I got him. I've fed other dogs DN when they seemed to have poo problems, and it aways cleared right up.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 am

Prey Model raw - the whole animal. Rabbits, Rats, Guinea Pigs - supplemented with a raw beef rib bone a few times a week.

I feed them this because I was feeding raw meat from the grocery store and just thought to myself, "They're not getting everything they should be eating."
Feeding a plucked chicken thigh/beef steak/pork and some livers/hearts/tripe just didn't sit right.

Now my dogs get muscle, fat, skin, hair, brain, all organs, stomach contents and everything else encased in the body. All naturally proportioned to be in balance.

Munkos
Super Bully

Postby Munkos » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:09 am

Our old guy we switched to Wellness senior super five and he went on to be 15 before he passed. When we switched him at 12 we were sure we didn't have much longer with him...he was having a lot of trouble getting up and laying down, stiff and sore all the time and had lost his spark. He got MUCH healthier on the wellness and we got another 3 years out of his old body before it quit on him.

My beagle is on Orijen. We've been through the mill and back with this dog between allergies, health problems, etc. She does really well on orijen and has not needed more than a routine trips to the vet since we switched her onto it, a first for her. We usually make multiple trips to the vet every year with her due to problems...she hasn't gone in over 2 years for more than a check up. She also needed her anal glands expressed once every two months...that hasn't needed to be done in 2 years, either.

The pups are on Acana large breed puppy. They both have food allergies and this is the one food we found that agreed with both of them. It's been working, so we've stuck with it.

I often contemplate a switch to raw, but I have yet to feel confident that I would do it right, so we haven't switched yet.

My cats on the other hand, are on friskies roflmao

They weren't doing well on any of the premium foods, so I switched back to what work. Besides, with how much the like to annoy me and cause havoc and wreck things, I'm pretty sure they'll live FOREVER regardless of what food they're on!

Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Melody » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:58 pm

The dogs get Kirkland Signature because it's a fairly decent food and affordable. Though I would love to put them on something else.

My cat gets Wellness Core canned, he has allergies and also has a hard time with dry food...he's done the best on the Core (as opposed to just Wellness grain-free formulas.)

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Choco got cleared by his vet to start switching from his prescription hypoallergenic food back to Innova! I'm so excited for him to eat a food with meat in it! Bad news is we still have no idea what he's allergic to, but at least there is meat and treats and rawhide in his future!

jben
Newborn Bully

Postby jben » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Peaches was on Natural Balance but now we're trying Canidae, so far so good on both foods.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Hmmm....I thought I had posted in this thread, but I guess I didn't lol

Khan is currently being fed RAW. Which he has been on for a little over a month. I feed 80/10/10 meat/bones/organ. No vegetables. He is still be supplemented with fish oil and vitamin e for his allergies and Osteo Bi-Flex for his knee.

I switched him to RAW after having him on a few different LID kibbles which for a while seemed to work for his allergies. I am hoping that the switch will greatly help his allergies.

My cats rotate between a bunch of different high quality foods. Currently they are on Holistic select and have been for several cases. Next they will be on wellness, etc. I'd like to get them on RAW at some point, but I don't think I will be able to get all of the 4 to go for it and I am still learning with Khan for now lol

Curly_07

Postby Curly_07 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:34 pm

I currently feed Innova Evo Red Meat formula to Curly. I've had her on this over the last 3 years, trying other brands/types here and there. About a year ago I decided to try the new Rachel Ray Nutrish that came out. She did well on it, no skin issues(she's had history of dry/flakey skin with some foods), felt full(no begging for more food), and was overall very healthy. Then, over the summer I decided to try Nature's Variety RAW (because honestly we had got lazy, she gained a few pounds, and I wanted to trim her up for show/fun shows). It trimmed her up extremely fast and she LOVED it!...But she was ALWAYS hungry, and her skin issues started flaring up. I rotated between the different RAW ones Natures Variety makes and tried adding other suppliments to help but I just wasn't seeing the results I wanted. Then I transitioned her back to EVO, which she has been on for the last 3 months. On EVO, she snacks on her food, or sometimes just eats half and doesn't want the rest until feeding time the next day(I only feed once a day). Then sometimes she eats it all in one sitting. Since being back on EVO, I've noticed her skin smelling(she never smelled before) and also her breathe having a stronger stinch(I'm going to have her teeth cleaned). I also give her pumps of salmon oil and Omegas plus Garlic/brewers yeast pills daily mixed in her food. The smelling started soon after I started the pills...so I'm wondering if I should stop them? She loves them, and I've also noticed the bugs(Mosquitos and such) don't bother her now...plus the other health benefits that come with the Brewers yeast pills.

So....after reading some of the previous posts about TOTW, I'm wodering if it would be a better change for us? I noticed it's lower on protien and higher on fat than EVO, which I'm not crazy about(she packs on weight easily). Seems like TOTW would be cheaper too? What are you guys opinions on TOTW vs EVO? If I did switch it would be to the TOTW Fish formula vs EVO Red Meat formula.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this....

Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Angela Adams » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:34 pm

I've been feeding Orijen and Acana for the last year. I'm going to try TOTW for Sway. He's very yeasty on Orijen.

Elliehanna
Newborn Bully

Postby Elliehanna » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:07 pm

I feed Diamond Natural EA right now to my two, I feed it because its what I can afford atm, its not what I want to feed. I had been feeding TotW High Prairie and they were doing great on it but the cost of driving 70 miles round trip every 2 weeks and the $46 was to much saddly. If I end up getting to be able to buy a bit more expensive food again they will go back on it.

I would not feed TotW Pacific Salmon to my two because Goren did very bad on it oddly, his skin was bad, his stool was bad, so I will steer clear of that. I also will not feed the crap grocery store brands like Pedagree, Ol Roy, that stuff, because its full of fillers, Goren was on Baneful when we first got him (before I knew about better kibbles) and his coat was horrid, his ears were bad, he I am sure was allergic to something in there, so I am just keeping him clear away from that stuff...

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Through the entire lives of my current dogs, I'd been a major dog food snob. I fed only the best with human grade ingredients, and if something better came out, I'd switch to that. The dogs did OK on them. Grant always had problems with acid reflux, though. And, Harry always had issues with diarrhea, and some issues with his anal sacs. My idea of a good food for him was one that at least had him not having uncontrollable diarrhea, and a bonus if it had some shape to it. Then, I moved to the middle of nowhere, and the closest pet store at that time was over 100 miles away. So, I switched them to raw. They did about the same, except Harry had diarrhea a bit more often, and his anal sac situation actually got a little worse. Grant's acid reflux improved a little, but not enough to get excited about. He didn't really like the raw food, though.

When I started having pregnancy complications, I knew I could end up in a hospital several hours away at the drop of a hat (and it DID happen!). So, I realized that I had to switch them to something easy and readily available, as they were either going to end up in the kennel if they had room, or have a friend coming over to care for them. And wherever they ended up, raw was probably not going to be a good feeding option. So, I went though all the grocery store had to offer, and chose what made me the least disgusted, Iams Lamb & Rice. I nearly cried the first time I fed it to them. That was in October of 2007.

Harry hasn't had chronic diarrhea issues since, nor has he had any problems with his anal glands. Grant's acid reflux is gone. Their coats look nice. Honestly, they look better than they ever have. I will admit, their breath isn't as nice, but everything else is better. I had planned to switch back to raw, or seek out something "better" when things stabilized with the baby. But seriously, why should I switch to something supposedly healthier if the dogs do more poorly on it?

I am a now humbled former dog food snob. And, now I can get their food anywhere, anytime, as even the 24 hour grocery store carries it. And, it's always in stock. The store was constantly running out of chicken hindquarters, but they have never run out of Iams!

I worked in veterinary medicine for 13 years, I do think that some of the companies are more concerned with putting together by-product free healthy ingredients than seeing how it actually comes out the other end. I've seen a lot of metabolic issues on super-premiums, and TONS of urinary infections and blockages. A lot of these foods cause an incorrect urine pH, which can lead to deadly problems, particularly in cats. Interesting tidbit, here on the prairie where we don't have pet boutiques with organic foods, I hardly ever saw blocked cats. We would get at least one or two a week in the city, but only one every few months here. Most of the cats here that we saw ate Science Diet or Iams. I've wondered if that is coincidental.

Feed what works. If Ol' Roy makes your dog thrive, why change it? He might do better on something else, or he might not. Don't let people make you feel guilty for not feeding "the best," as sometimes that is not what is best for your particular animal or situation.

Return to “Health Issues”