Why do you feed the food you do?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Re: Why do you feed the food you do?

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:04 pm

AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:(Seriously? A cure for urine incontinence? I never heard that one...)

There isn't a claim made for any specific brand of food that it cures spay incontinence, just a belief held by many that removing grain from a dog's diet can solve the problem:
http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjincontinence.html

If anything, I would think that using one of the grain free diets, which typically contain potato (the ones I've fed do) would be no different in that respect than feeding grain, but I do know people who claim that grain free kibble resolved their dog's incontinence. Didn't help mine.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Sarah wrote:
AllisonPibbleLvr wrote:(Seriously? A cure for urine incontinence? I never heard that one...)

There isn't a claim made for any specific brand of food that it cures spay incontinence, just a belief held by many that removing grain from a dog's diet can solve the problem:

If anything, I would think that using one of the grain free diets, which typically contain potato (the ones I've fed do) would be no different in that respect than feeding grain, but I do know people who claim that grain free kibble resolved their dog's incontinence. Didn't help mine.

I have to say, even working selling pet food and hearing A LOT (everything from meat in kibble will make your dog a killer to flaxseed causing cancer) and I've never heard about grain free foods curing incontinence. I can't see any reason why removing grain from the diet would make a difference.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Sarah wrote:There isn't a claim made for any specific brand of food that it cures spay incontinence, just a belief held by many that removing grain from a dog's diet can solve the problem:

huh. i've never heard that one either.

feeding grain-free kibble didn't make any difference in luce's incontinence. nor did feeding raw. (she's on proin but has occasional break-through leakage)

right now i'm feeding totw fish flavor. the dogs like it and do well on it. it's relatively inexpensive. when i'm feeling less broke, i prefer nature's variety, both the prairie (with grain) and the instinct (without grain). especially for the crazy border collie.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:02 pm

We started off feeding Orijen puppy for grendel as I was on this big orijen kick due to feeding it to the cat and ferrets. He did well on puppy but not so good on adult. So we switched him to Natural balance limited ingredient. Now he is on Natural Balance Ultra and Brie is no Fromm Gold puppy food.
We are planning to switch to TOTW once gren's bag is done, so another 2 months.
I dont mind grains in dog food, but I like them in moderation and grains that are actually healthy and not filler. The same goes for by products and meats. I also like brands that use human grade meat. I like to know that they are getting quality food that is full of nutrients and not scrap leftovers that places want to make a quick buck on.
Orijen playing the marketing game... Of course they are! when it comes down to it, they are a business and every business/brand plays the marketing game.
Personally I distrust opinions from people who are trained by science diet or these brands because it is definately gonna be biased (not pointed at you, just in general).

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:06 pm

I feed raw. Prey model raw to be more specific (no grains/veggies).

Why? Because after almost 3yrs of trying different kibbles including Wellness, TOTW, Innova EVO, Canidae, etc. I couldn't find something that agreed with my Boston's stomach. Not to mention her teeth were pretty nasty by the age of 2.

So now I rotate between chicken, turkey, whole rabbits, fish, beef, pork, etc. Supplement with fish oil and a joint supplement.

I've been feeding this way for about 2 yrs now and they are both doing wonderfully. :thumbsup:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:55 am

starrlamia wrote:Personally I distrust opinions from people who are trained by science diet or these brands because it is definately gonna be biased (not pointed at you, just in general).

Good point. I've recognized that I am someone who is easily swayed and I'm trying really hard to stay objective and analyze everything for what it is.

Do I recognize that Hills is going to tell me Medi-cal sucks and Medi-cal is going to tell me Purina Vet Diets sucks and they are all going to tell me Iams vet diets suck? Of course. But at least all four of these companies make their information widely available.

I wish I had the contact information for that vet out in Alberta. Orijen had actually asked her to be a representative for the food and after the tour she did of the factory, she firmly declined. I can't remember what exactly she saw but I do remember that she was horrified by conditions at the manufacturing plant in relation to the meat sources. I'm going to find her email.

I love that everyone is so passionate about this. I really think its awesome seeing people so concerned with the well being of their pets. I had a client recently adopt a dog who was being fed canidae by the breeder, switch it to Ol' Roy and when he got wicked diarrhea, switch him to Orijen. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum! But the point is is that someone obviously had a discussion with her about better foods.

The clinic where I work heavily pushes Hills diets, including science diet, but I have asked the doctors and few of them have done any extensive CE on nutrition. Which is a shame. Almost all of them have been on the Hills tour. Medi-cal doesn't offer extravagant trips and we've never been invited to the factory even though it's only 10 minutes away from here.

The last clinic where I worked heavily promoted raw diets and Orijen. The owner/veterinarian was a Great Pyr breeder and fed all of her dogs raw.

So while I like the foods my dogs are currently on, I have this strange and constant need to question whether it is the best for them.

If I'm this way with my dogs, I feel bad for any future children I have. They're probably going to eat whey smoothies and tofu their entire lives. lol

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:24 pm

:goodpost:
I think besides the companies bad mouthing the other companies, the thing that bugs me is they try and justify some of the bad ingredients they use and make it seems like its good, ya know? every company does it though so it's no surprise they do it to.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:Again, I think part of the problem with really "holistic" companies and food trials is that their customer base depends A LOT on, well, hoity toity sort of people. NOT that everyone who feeds it is like that, don't get me wrong, I feed that sort of thing too. But I see a different perspective selling food and seeing the sort of people that generally buy foods like Orijen... and they're the sort of people who freak out about "animal testing". Natura got a lot of backlash for their feeding trial facilities too. I'm not making excuses for companies, but I can sort of see where they're coming from, especially a small business like Champion that's having to stop further distribution of their food because they can barely source the rare ingredients they use.

On this topic, if you look at the Champion website, they are currently looking to hire a veterinarian, among other things, to coordinate feeding trials. Their wording is rather "hoity toity" as you put it:
http://www.championpetfoods.com/careers/
but essentially they want a veterinarian to help them with research and product development, and to help promote their foods to outside people, similar to some of the larger pet food companies such as Science Diet & Purina. Sounds like a great job opportunity, actually.

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:10 pm

Speaking of playing the "wording" game... has anyone noticed that Science Diet no longer contains corn? Look on the label - it's full of "maize" instead lol

Bogart, my Akita is on Diamond Naturals large breed. Ingredients are decent, price is great. No corn, no by-products.

My girls, Josie (5yo pit bull mix) and Tia (11yo pit bull) are on Taste of the Wild. Why?

Bogart was my first personal dog, and I had him on different foods (all quality). Then I added Josie, who came to me emaciated. I had the hardest time putting pounds back on her. I tried her on a few... I don't even remember what kinds. I tried her on the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete had extra fat and protein, and she put weight on, but after a while she became kind of flaky. I put her on Blue Buffalo, and her coat cleared up. Her ribs also became less visible (this was some time after getting her... it was no longer the result of the emaciation, just her inability to keep weight on) than ever before... But they were still visible. And it's so expensive (even working at PetSmart and getting a discount!).

I decided to try TOTW because of discussions on this forum. It is available at the same stores I get Bogart's food from, which is nice... and it is so much cheaper than Blue! She's been on it for a year and a half at least, and she looks great. She doesn't get a ton of exercise, so she looks better than she should. If I had time to work her, she'd look ripped!

Last summer, when I rescued Tia, she was a fat old thing Ate Ol' Roy all her life. I gave her the TOTW, and she's in a lot better shape. I keep her on it because she has a history of mast cell tumors and I read a lot of research saying that grain free or low carb diets help keep the cancer under control, because it feeds on carbs. So far, so good.

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:59 pm

I wanted to amend my previous post, as I cannot edit it. I was rushing out the door as I was typing.

When I decided to try TOTW, I originally put both Josie & Bogart on it, because I'd heard so many good things about it, and I wanted to feed the best I could afford. Josie did fabulously on it and still does. Bogart did well on it in general, but he put on too much weight. He was in no way becoming obese, but I'm very careful with him being a large breed to not have any extra weight to support. Worried about hip issues and such. He is not nearly as active as Josie, and I couldn't keep lowering his food portion, because the poor guy would feel hungry all the time. I ended up putting him back on the Diamon Naturals he'd done well on before. I can give him a larger serving and keep his weight where I want it, plus it's great price-wise. So I did learn that not even the best foods are a perfect fit for every dog.

Every food company will tell your their food is "best" for dogs and have all kinds of reasons and evidence why. I work in a pet store. Nutro reps come in and try to convince people their foods are the best. Hill's, P&G and Bil Jac do, too. My girlfriend was a Blue Buffalo rep for a while, and her boss was convicned heart & soul it was the best food available. It's a good food (I certainly like it better than the others we sell), but it's not the best. The first ingredient is whole chicken (or salmon, lamb, etc)... which is weighed raw and therefore at its heaviest... so the amount of chicken that actually goes in after being cooked is actually a lot less and probably should be closer to the middle of the ingredient list. But it's certainly not a bad food, and my dogs & cats did really well on it while I fed it. That's why I like places like this, where people can tell about their actual experiences with the food and what they think of other food-related issues. Mostly unbiased, educated opinions and discussions.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:11 pm

I started my foster Choco on Innova and it helped him gain weight from being emaciated and he put on a lot of muscle.
He had a very bad allergic reaction and he is now on a food trial. It may or may not have been food allergies but this is the only way to find out. So now he is eating Purina HA. It is much harder to keep the weight on him and I am feeding him more than double the amount he was eating of Innova. Obviously the food is serving a specific purpose (and his allergies are better) but I hope that he will be able to switch onto something more tasty (and something that has meat!) once the trial is over.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:50 am

AmberD wrote:When I decided to try TOTW, I originally put both Josie & Bogart on it, because I'd heard so many good things about it, and I wanted to feed the best I could afford.

This is similar to my experience. When I put the dogs on TOTW earlier this year, a major reason for selecting that particular brand was that so many people here had good experiences with it. And like you, I had one dog gain too much weight on it. The rep I buy my other kibble from (the Dog Lover's Gold) told me that their food was actually higher in calories than the TOTW, but for whatever reason, the TOTW was more fattening for Tully. Dogs do vary in how they respond to different diets, which is why I've finally decided that I might just as well feed 2 different foods.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:Again, I think part of the problem with really "holistic" companies and food trials is that their customer base depends A LOT on, well, hoity toity sort of people. NOT that everyone who feeds it is like that, don't get me wrong, I feed that sort of thing too. But I see a different perspective selling food and seeing the sort of people that generally buy foods like Orijen... and they're the sort of people who freak out about "animal testing".

I thought of this comment today, as I saw a sign that I consider the equivalent of the feel-good labeling on dog food, in regards to a different product:

Now all of these claims are, in fact, true. But... 100% women farmers? WTF? Do women grow better coffee? (it is good coffee, though lol )

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Sarah wrote:
Savage Destiny wrote:Again, I think part of the problem with really "holistic" companies and food trials is that their customer base depends A LOT on, well, hoity toity sort of people. NOT that everyone who feeds it is like that, don't get me wrong, I feed that sort of thing too. But I see a different perspective selling food and seeing the sort of people that generally buy foods like Orijen... and they're the sort of people who freak out about "animal testing".

I thought of this comment today, as I saw a sign that I consider the equivalent of the feel-good labeling on dog food, in regards to a different product:

Now all of these claims are, in fact, true. But... 100% women farmers? WTF? Do women grow better coffee? (it is good coffee, though lol )

I like the tie-in Sarah :) I think most of us have eaten cool whip and cheese slices in our life and yet would be horrified to feed something of equal nutrition quality to our dogs. But that a whole 'nother thread. lol

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Women farmers? lol That's crazy, I don't see why it makes a difference. But you're right Sarah, it is the exact same thing. Companies know who they're marketing to.

I admit, I'll feed junky treats occasionally. I figure its like eating McDonald's- don't' do it all the time, but every once in a while won't hurt.

Return to “Health Issues”