Broken Nail ARG

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Broken Nail ARG

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 pm

So the dogs went for a swim today at one of our favorite hide-aways with the bf.
They came back with raw, oozing paws from the stones in the river-which happens to them often bc they are couch potatoes =[

However Dozer didn't get up to tell me hi when I got home from work which I knew then something just wasn't right.
Then...I saw the limp, and the pouty lip. I about cried. He is the cutest "ouchie" boy ever. =[
His middle toe on the back paw has a broken nail. 1/2 of the quick is exposed, and it appears very painful to him.
My sister works for the vet down the road but cannot get Rimadyl or any other pain meds for him without them seeing him.

And OT but=
Misskiwi why is that btw in a nutshell?
Why cant she bring home a few Rimadyl chewables and pay for them?
What is the policy?

I get paid at midnight and can have him taken to the vet tomorrow.
So what I have done for the evening is bathe him, wash the paws thoroughly, 3-way ointment with pain reliever on all 4, and a bandaid and a sock on the worst foot :( .

Is there anything OTC for dogs for pain? If not, WTH?!?!
And... should I keep the sock on? Should it air out? I just hate looking at the exposed quick...it looks like an exposed nerve... :wow

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Broken Nail ARG

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Well, our broken nails have been 'resolved' in many ways.
(MissKiwi has been so kind)

basically, Capone licked and licked and finally it kind of fixed itself...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132150&p=1761682&hilit=toe+nail#p1761682
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127483&p=1701750&hilit=capone#p1701750

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 pm

oops! forgot, good luck!! ... I felt so crazy with something as silly as a nail and how nutty it can make things. I wish you luck.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:10 pm

shoot, all of button's nails are falling out and breaking since we moved to florida. not sure why. they look painful and i know they probably suck, but we took him to the vet and all they did was cut them back nice and short and send him home with no pain meds ... so that's what we've been doing whenever he breaks or cracks one. trim it up so it doesn't cause him pain to walk on it, then we keep them as clean as possible. i do occasional epsom salt soaks when he has a fresh break, just to get any dirt/debris out of there, then we gently dry and then later on in the evening i'll trim them down as best i can and leave them be. so far, for us, they heal up quickly on their own without medical intervention. but he is missing 3 toenails at the moment, just quicks showing. kind of weird.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Aspirin is an acceptable OTC pain reliever for dogs. Don't know how big your boy is, but a baby aspirin would be a safe dose, though depending on his size, might not be enough. (it's about right for my 30 lb dogs).

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:31 pm

rimadyl may be a controlled substance so it would be illegal to prescribe without seeing the animal.
At least thats what my vets have told me in the past when they requested to see the my guys before prescribing anything.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:56 pm

I heard aspirin and other pain relievers for humans are very hard on their liver and kidneys though, is that a myth?

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:23 pm

BabyReba wrote:shoot, all of button's nails are falling out and breaking since we moved to florida. not sure why. they look painful and i know they probably suck, but we took him to the vet and all they did was cut them back nice and short and send him home with no pain meds ... so that's what we've been doing whenever he breaks or cracks one. trim it up so it doesn't cause him pain to walk on it, then we keep them as clean as possible. i do occasional epsom salt soaks when he has a fresh break, just to get any dirt/debris out of there, then we gently dry and then later on in the evening i'll trim them down as best i can and leave them be. so far, for us, they heal up quickly on their own without medical intervention. but he is missing 3 toenails at the moment, just quicks showing. kind of weird.

Is Button walking around with the saddest look in the world on his face?
Either Dozer is a huge baby or he really hurts. He looks pathetic.
I still have it bandaged but I will probably take it off before bed so it can breathe.
I gave him 2 Benadryl and Im hoping he will be in a coma and not wake up to lick it too much...

I hate seeing my little boy in pain at all =[

Right now he's in his 4 ft diam. round plush bed which rests on TOP of an old couch cushion...
He looks like the Princess and the Pea kind of...multiple mattresses
He is covered in his new fleece blankey bc they had 2 for $6 at Wally World.
He can't sleep uncovered. His nose and ears will be cold as ice and he will sit by my side of the bed and yodle at me until I wake up and cover him back up or let him in bed with me...

Maybe he's a baby...

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:30 pm

well, button's sort of a mix ... he'll be fine when he's in the mood to chase a lizard but he'll be sad and mopey when he's inside. it does suck when they act all sad all the time ... button's kind of resilient.

the vet really didn't do anything about it, though, when we took him in ... they told us that unless the nails are infected, they're not really going to do much with them. so we just sort of try to cut them back when they break and peel. his poor feet look a mess, but i guess it only hurts him when the nails are pressing against the ground and putting pressure on where they meet his quick.

yaegersnewfamily
Adolescent Bully

Postby yaegersnewfamily » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Yae had broken two nails, one on each front foot within two weeks of each other, despite our best effort to keep his nails trim. The first one scared us more than him because his nail looked gross, red and caked. It didn't look to be bothering him and he wasn't licking at it at all. He's a brave boy. But we took him into the vet anyway. $189 bucks later he walked out acting with the same nonchalance as he walked in but with an awkward e-collar. The vet had just soaked the nail, clipped it down the filed away what he could so as to clean and sanitize the nail. It would have cost even more had they needed to anesthetize him (which is a common procedure for bigger dogs who aren't willing to comply with their treatment) but Yae was a good boy and having the orderly hold him down was enough. He just looked at us like, "Really? Was this all necessary?!" They also prescribed him 10 days worth of antibiotics and a follow-up which cost us another $50 for them to tell us he's ok.

I don't even pay that much when I break a nail off and I'm just fine. The second time it happened, it didn't seem to bother him at all. He didn't lick at it, he was absolutely fine. We soaked it and cleaned it and stuck him in the e-collar again, just in case. This time, skipping the $200+ vet bill. He healed up just fine.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Not legal for your sister to bring you meds. Like most meds, Rimadyl is Rx only. Just like if your sister worked for a human doctor they would not be sending home random meds without ever having seen you.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:20 pm

tia_leigha wrote:I heard aspirin and other pain relievers for humans are very hard on their liver and kidneys though, is that a myth?

Doubt it is a myth since it is NSAIDS are hard on humans liver and kidney's!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Even though the vets ay my clinic will give a dosage in a pinch, I don't like using ANY human pain meds on my dogs. Just not worth the risk for how little pain relief they provide. Do NOT use tylenol or ibuprofen.

Vet's cannot prescribe any meds for a dog without seeing them because they could lose their licence. If a vet prescribed Rimadyl to your pup and he suffered a bad reaction or had pre-existing liver conditions or something that was made worse, the liability would be on the vet.

You could also try warm epsom salt soaks on his feet.

Return to “Health Issues”