Yeast Infection? Please Help - With Pics

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Yeast Infection? Please Help - With Pics

Postby willyg44 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 am

I'm looking to find some people who have had similar skin issues. Is this a yeast infection? Leo has had issues with this same type of infection for quite some time now, and the prescribed medicine has not helped too much. When it gets back, like the inside of the hind legs, it seems to help that some. But, it never cured the issue, and I'm looking for other options. My fiance told me that she remembers the vet saying it was a yeast problem, is that what it is? Is there anyone out there who has battled with this type of infection and found a remedy? He is getting bad breakouts like this every other week or so. I thought it was some weeds that are in our back yard, until my fiance told me what the vet said a while ago.

Any thoughts appreciated, he certainly can't be comfortable, and I'm beginning to trust your opinions better than the vet we've been going to. Thank you very much in advance for any help!

The redness looks a bit more pronounced in the pics than in real life, but you get the picture. It's all over. He tries to scratch his tummy and neck a lot, and we've been trying to discourage it. It definitely irritates him. If you rub the area, or scratch around his belly, he gets highly irritated, and kicks his hind leg up like they do to signal to stop.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Re: Yeast Infection? Please Help - With Pics

Postby willyg44 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:04 am

**When it gets bad, not when it gets back (4th sentence). Whoops

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:28 am

I'm not seeing markers for either bacterial or yeast infection... could be neither, could be both. It will take a skin cytology to know for sure. Your vet (if they're skin savvy) will take either clear tape or special sticky slides to get a sample of the skin cells and look at them under the microscope to determine what is growing. Or your vet might just send you home with antibiotics and a shampoo to cover all your bases.

Either way, your pup needs to see a veterinarian.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:31 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:I'm not seeing markers for either bacterial or yeast infection... could be neither, could be both. It will take a skin cytology to know for sure. Your vet (if they're skin savvy) will take either clear tape or special sticky slides to get a sample of the skin cells and look at them under the microscope to determine what is growing. Or your vet might just send you home with antibiotics and a shampoo to cover all your bases.

Either way, your pup needs to see a veterinarian.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to try to find a different, better vet. The one we were recommended sent us home with a medication 1 time and a different one the other, both have had little success.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:28 am

Oh! That just looks painful!

good luck with the vet hunt.

April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby April » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:37 am

My uncles dog suffers from this, the vet said it was allergies to food so he switch to a fish based kibble and it looks like
its getting better. She got 3 medicines and it cure it in the first week completely, it just recently came back because
they fed her chicken and it looks identical to your dogs skin issues.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:08 am

April wrote:My uncles dog suffers from this, the vet said it was allergies to food so he switch to a fish based kibble and it looks like
its getting better. She got 3 medicines and it cure it in the first week completely, it just recently came back because
they fed her chicken and it looks identical to your dogs skin issues.

That's really interesting. I feed raw, but this has been happening since he was on kibble. TOTW. I do feed him mainly chicken now, I wonder is that's the culprit. I wouldn't think so, but if it looks just like it, hmm.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:20 pm

We got him TOTW lamb variety kibble (I miss raw already) to see if it was possibly the raw chicken we've been feeding recently, and already, the redness is miraculously better. It is still there, but it's not at all near what it is in the pics. I was hoping it wouldn't be an allergy to chicken, but it seems like it is so far. I'll update in a week or so with pics. If it starts coming back at all, we're going to go to the vet someone recommended, that gets back in next week.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:42 pm

you can still feed RAW, just don't use chicken.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:56 pm

or if you were buying the cheap-o chicken, it could be the plumping solution or a host of other things that he's reacting too. Our youngest reacts to cheap chicken but not, say, duck. Smart dog!

You might also want to add some additional salmon oil to his diet to help his skin heal.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:39 am

Yeah I know I can still feed raw, it would just be a bummer, because we get REALLY good deals on chicken quarters/chicken livers from this local market. I talked to the butcher and he assured me that all their meats are all natural and everything, even told me where they get it. I don't think think the quality of the chicken is poor. It just sucks because I haven't been able to find great deals like that on other meats, so his diet has been maybe 60% chicken.

And I have been giving him olive oil for a while, I might go ahead and try that salmon oil though, thanks.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:23 am

salmon oil is a natural anti inflammatory, plus it is good for the coat. If you add salmon oil make sure you add vitamin e as well.

You can also join raw feeding co ops on yahoo groups to get good deals on meat. There are some links in the RAW sticky.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:39 am

FBODGRL wrote:salmon oil is a natural anti inflammatory, plus it is good for the coat. If you add salmon oil make sure you add vitamin e as well.

You can also join raw feeding co ops on yahoo groups to get good deals on meat. There are some links in the RAW sticky.

Thanks for the info. I joined a few Yahoo groups, and a popular co-op that delivers close to me, but it comes out pretty expensive. Maybe I'm looking for too good of a deal. I would get chicken quarters for $0.50/lb. and turkey wings/necks for $1.20/lb. I try not to spend above $1.50/lb. for my budget and that's even pushing it. The co-ops/groups I found were all more expensive than the stuff I can get at the market, they were about 2 bucks a pound average for stuff and paying for transportation costs, so it didn't work out. I've seen other co-ops on Yahoo with great prices, I wish I lived in those areas!

JennieLynne
Newborn Bully

Postby JennieLynne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:21 pm

My girl had hella skin issues as a pup. Constantly at the vet. Turns out she allergic to grass, carpet and just about everything in between. I give a benadryl when we're going to be outside for long periods of time - per doc. As far as chicken goes... the little one had stomach issues too. Turns out chicken is a trigger for a lot of dogs (I'ver heard). She was basically mudd butt all the time... took away chicken, no more problems. She had pimples on her face as well... but grew out of them when food and everything changed.
Hope she feels better soon!!!

JennieLynne
Newborn Bully

Postby JennieLynne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:22 pm

OH!!!! I'd also invest in an aloe plant... whenever we get bumps, we cut a piece off and apply the cooling liquid. Stops her from itching and helps the healing.

Return to “Health Issues”