Tess is sick

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Tess is sick

Postby XDogs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Was suspicious about pyo, but figured they ruled it out via radiographs (since she had no discharge).
Glad she is home to put Pirate into place before she has to get some more fluids. Fact that CREA returned to normal would make me think that the kidney values were just high due to dehydration.
.. yup,, dilute urine is still a concern.

Healing thoughts continue!

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Sent! xoxo

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:17 pm

XDogs wrote:Was suspicious about pyo, but figured they ruled it out via radiographs (since she had no discharge).

I forgot to even think about pyo until I was already on my way into the vet with her yesterday morning. If I'd thought of it earlier, I'd have probably gone in then, pyo scares me. That was indeed the main reason they wanted the xrays, to rule it out. Today's vet wanted to be extra sure, though, as she says she's seen some really atypical cases of pyo during her career, so she just did a quick ultrasound at no charge to be 100% sure there wasn't some little pocket that wasn't showing on the xrays. They couldn't even see the uterus though, so that is ruled out.

Heather, my agility instructor/friend says that Tess does everything in a big way. If she's going to get sick, she doesn't mess around with some little self-limiting virus, she gets the full strength "OMG MY DOG IS GOING TO DIE!" illness. This is the first time she's ever been sick!

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:00 am

Continue to improve, Tess :hug:

XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby XDogs » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:24 am

Ms Vavoom still getting better, I hope? What did her kidney values do overnight? (while not on fluids, I mean).

This has been a crappy fall for pets, so far, so Tess.... git bettah!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:54 am

I hope she is feeling better!

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:11 am

Oh Sarah,

I just saw this!!

You and Tess are in my prayers.

Sending positive energy out to Tess for a full and speedy recovery from whatever ails her!!!!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm not sure about her kidney values, but she was peppy and happy this morning. Tried to jump onto the counter when we went into the vet. (slipped, fell off, and landed on her back. I guess we'll see the chiro when she's well again.) They were going to check the kidney values this afternoon and see how she is.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Jumping onto counter:

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Atta girl Tess. Keep fighting the good fight!
Sarah, I hope she is in fact doing better. Hugs n prayers!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Flower would like to say :hi glad you're feeling better! Fingers and Paws crossed!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm so happy to hear she's doing better! :cheers:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Results from today were that her BUN was down a little more, but still a bit elevated. 36. Creatinine holding steady. Preliminary result from lab found some bacteria in the urine culture, they're still determining how much, what antibiotic to use, etc. She is home, has a recheck appointment for Tuesday.

I am now suspicious that the problem might have been something as simple as a bladder infection. Possibly making her drink & urinate a bit more, but I have 3 dogs, why would I notice? I just fill the water bowl when it's empty. Then we were at an agility trial. I don't give them water in their crates, because they spill it, so I just give them a little water mixed with Vertex before and after each run. But if Tess was needing more water because of a bladder infection, perhaps she wasn't getting enough fluid from that. So she dehydrated. Dehydration stressed the kidneys, and suddenly, bam, sick dog. This is only a guess, but if it's true, I have the most hard core agility dog ever, because she ran fast all weekend. (I thought she seemed a little slower than usual, and was worrying about it Sunday. When I told the judge I was worried about my dog because she was slow, he said "that was slow? Wow.")

Pirate has been acting like she's in season, and a male will sometimes do that around a dog with a bladder infection, that's why I'm thinking that.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:23 pm

Or the infection spread to her kidneys too, which certainly happens... which would why her kidney function is down and why she got dehydrated... and a regular bacterial infection is a million times better than Lepto!!

Either way, with a culture pending and fluids to get her back on her feet... fingers crossed Tess will be back to 100% in no time!!

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:00 am

I'm so glad she is looking peppy today! I hope she is all better asap!~

Return to “Health Issues”