His Neutered is scheduled....questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

His Neutered is scheduled....questions

Postby SonnysMomma » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Ok, so Sonny's neuter is scheduled for December 20th. What are things I need to ask, know, worry about...whatever! Im a scared little mom right now. I want everything to go ok, I dont want hiccups, I dont want him to be put under, but I know it has to be done.

They are doing a blood panel beforehand to make sure his liver and all other functions are running ok. Becaucse he gets so stressed at the vet they said we can do some sort of sedative to call him down before we take blood. But will a sedative cause a reaction when he is given the anethesia, since it would still be in system?

Also, we talked about getting his teeth cleaned when he is under...but the vet mentioned that there is a possibility for cross bacteria...or something along those lines since doing the surgery at the same time. Sorry, its not word for word what they said, so I hope yall can make out what they mean by that.

Any suggestions, comments...prayers! I know I shouldnt be this damn nervous but i am!!! :oops:

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: His Neutered is scheduled....questions

Postby doglove » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Millions of dogs go through this year after year after year. There are several threads started by people in your position already. The same advice applies, and you're going to get the same answers.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:20 am

Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK, and the worst part of the procedure for us was seeing our pup loopy and miserable after the surgery, and then a wreck for days afterwards! Oh man just brought back memories, it was so sad, it was the first time he had to wear an e-collar and since the medication made him real tired, he'd get stuck on stuff with the e-collar and just stay there it was so sad! Like in the entrance to the hallway, his e-collar would hit the wall going into the hallway, and he'd just stay there as if he was just the most miserable thing and didn't have the energy to move his head so the e-collar could fit :( The surgery itself seemed to go very smoothly though.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:31 am

aww Sonny will be ok and we are here for his momma. :) Sassy(toy poodle) had couple teeth pulled at the same time as her spay and she did fine.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:59 pm

There shouldn't be any issue with them giving a sedative prior to him going under. I knwo Khan was given a "pre anesthesia" injection a couple of times. Which just made him loopy, walk around like he was drunk, etc. But kept him calm enough they could get what they needed done. I'm sure Misskiwi or someone with the proper terms will jump in and explain it better than me though.

I'm not sure about the cross bacteria stuff, so I'll let someone who knows take that one.

I'd look into getting one of those soft e collars or the inflatable ones before he goes in. Then he won't have to wear a giant cone lol

I know it doesn't help, but most of us have been through this and some have had their dogs, cats have surgery and anesthesia a bunch. IMO it is never easier whether it is routine procedure, young, old. I never feel relaxed until they call me from the vets office and tell me they are out of anesthesia and everything is fine!

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks guys! I was hoping misskiwi and Yvette would pop in and give some advice. I'm sure they will!

Willy, that's one of the things I'm most worried about....seeing him all drugged and wonky, him not being his usual self. :-(

Its gonna break my heart I know!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:50 pm

More than likely with a neuter by the time you pick him up he should be pretty "with the program". Of course that is depending on when they do the neuter. My most recent neuter..actual a spay was my kitten who was a few months old. They did the spay and I picked her up a few hours later. If I didn't know I wouldn't have believed she was just under anesthesia and spayed lol

I have had Khan under anesthesia a couple times where I brought him right home after and those he was like a drunk trying to follow me everywhere. i finally gave up trying to do anything around the house and just laid with him so he would stop getting up roflmao

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 pm

When we do surgery, we always "pre-med" the pets with a sedative so SonnysMomma, that shouldn't affect his anesthetic at all.

As far as doing a dentistry and neuter together, I'll let MissKiwi comment as to the dangers of cross-contamination but I suppose you have to consider that risk and compare it to the risk of him under going anesthetic twice. We quite often do lumpectomies and dentistries at the same time but I haven't seen a neuter/dentistry. This could be because we usually neuter clients dogs at 6 months or not at all around here.

And if it helps, I (half) jokingly asked the techs for some sedative to take home with me after Obi was neutered. The way he bounced out of the clinic like nothing had happened had me convinced that one of us was going to need them that first night. lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:20 pm

If your dogs teeth are even the tiniest bit bad, the cleaning aerosolizes the bacteria which can then settle on the wound and cause infection. For this reason, it is not recommended to do dentals and surgeries on the same day.

With that said, this is the real world, and money doesn't grow on trees. If the surgery site is kept sterile, the risk is minimal. I would happily do a dental and a neuter for a rescue or adult dog who needed both. I would NOT do an invasive abdominal surgery, or orthopedic surgery the same day as a dental, but thats about it.

I WOULD ensure your pup has IV fluids and blood pressure monitoring during the procedure as the two procedures back to back will extend anesthesia time significantly.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Good luck! I'm sure he'll be fine :hug:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:55 pm

I had Tully's teeth cleaned at the same time she was spayed, and she did fine.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:05 am

This is done quite often. With a healthy dog you are less likely to run into any issues. It sounds like the vet is taking the proper precautions. Always voice your concerns to them too to make you feel better and get peace of mind.

Hang in there. I often think these things are harder on us emotionally then they are physically for our dogs.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks guys!!!

I think you are right, emotional we stress ourselves more than probably what we should. But its so hard not to.

I think we have decided to just do the neuter and wait to get his teeth cleaned.

Im sure I will have more questions before the actual surgery...so bare with me guys!!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:44 am

Chances are extremely high that he'll be perfectly fine after the neuter. My young Vanya was scheduled for his neuter the day we were to pick him up from the humane society. Their policy is to release the same day, if the dog is feeling fine, and to wait a day or two if the dog needs more recovery time after surgery. When I called the afternoon of his neuter to see if he would be ready to go home that day, they practically BEGGED me to get over and pick him up, since within hours, he was boinging around as if nothing had happened (and causing havoc at the humane society by trying to climb into all the volunteers' laps, chase the kitties, lick the visitors, etc etc. Our challenge was to keep him calm over the next few days.

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:38 pm

make sure you don't feed them the night before. my dogs did real well. back to their normal selves in no time. also know that his metabolism will slow down a bit so feed him less otherwise he'll gain a few

Return to “Health Issues”