RAW feeding couple questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: RAW feeding couple questions

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:23 pm

FBODGRL wrote:
FransterDoo wrote:Yes, a bile barf with or without the bones bits mean that his tummy is empty. It could have also worked on those bones bits overnight and decided that they were going to digest enough so up they came.

Just go ahead and feed him to get something in his tummy.

Ok. Is there something I can do to avoid that happening? Is it something that will continue to happen? He never had any issues from empty tummy on kibble(I know some dogs do vomit even on kibble if they aren't fed frequent enough)

Sorry I am asking so many questions!

You might need to feed breakfast a little earlier. The beef bones might be hard(er) for him to fully break down as well. Raw seems to leave the stomach faster than kibble. If should get better over time but my more sensitive dogs will bile puke after a light dinner, an excessively boney mean or if I space on breakfast for too long.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:55 pm

Ok thanks :thumbsup:

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby chelsea00133 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:36 am

10% organs should be at least 1/2 liver. Some weeks I only feed liver and no other organ, so he gets liver for the full 10%, it's perfectly fine. Usually the other organ I use is beef Kidney, because that's the only other organ I can find localy.

Bailey does the bile vomit sometimes, most of the time it is only when there are hard bone chunks that he can't digest and need to come back up. I avoid feeding him bones that I know he can't fully digest (lamb shoulders, pock hocks, etc) I let him eat the meat off then take the bone away before he can eat too much of it.

Bailey needs to have a breakfast, or some sort of small meal in the morning. If he doesn't, he will sometimes puke bile.

I love feeding raw. I've been feeding it for 5+ years so far, & we're not looking back ;)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:27 pm

We had a little more bile and bone vomit last night while I was at work. I did have to work a long day though, so that probably didn't help.

For dinner he had oxtail, with a little liver and some ground beef. Breakfast he had another Oxtail, beef roast and I think some stew meat. Before I left for work I gave him one piece of beef stew meat. I only work an 8 hour day today, so hopefully no vomit while I am gone. Of course I changed meat, bone and gave the one "snack"piece so I really won't know what helped if he doesn't get sick lol

I plan on going to the store on Monday when I am off an picking up another protein....I think pork and possibly a fish too.

Do you guy's find they like certain fish over another? Do you buy fresh only or frozen/fresh? I'm not a real fish eater. I only like cod and canned tuna so I am not even sure what a good price on it is. I do see different types in the sale paper for like $2.00 off :dunno: I may stop in at the local butcher too and talk with them.

Oh and poop is still good. Definitely smaller though.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:50 pm

I spoke to soon :crybaby:

I woke up this morning to diarrhea on my living room carpet and a small spot in my utility room. The tile in the utility room was much easier to clean lol I could really careless about the carpet. I have a spotbot and it's just carpet.

I'm totally stressed out. I feel horrible for Khan. He had liquid diarrhea in the yard a couple times this afternoon as well. :crybaby: :crybaby:

I'm not sure what caused it and we were doing so well. I'm trying to not freak out and say that's it and back to kibble!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Liver is super rich, and can give dogs the poops. And remember you just started, so sometimes changing protein sources, or feeding various organs or cuts, can cause some poops. No need to freak out, it happens, all of my dogs are raw feed, and the same thing happens. I have actually found, the only way to keep Bug's bowels consistent is to feed her raw. Kibble makes her icky and runny.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:41 pm

I still feel bad even though I know it happens and I thought I was prepared for things like this. I guess I know in my head that until I get things figured out and what works for him these things will happen.

Do you think it is still Ok to try another protein later this week? I was thinking pork, but am not entirely sure what to use for bones or what I will be able to find aside from ribs. Then I was thinking of just getting some turkey necks :dunno:

I keep telling myself to relax and stop freaking out roflmao

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:38 pm

FBODGRL wrote:I spoke to soon :crybaby:

I woke up this morning to diarrhea on my living room carpet and a small spot in my utility room. The tile in the utility room was much easier to clean lol I could really careless about the carpet. I have a spotbot and it's just carpet.

I'm totally stressed out. I feel horrible for Khan. He had liquid diarrhea in the yard a couple times this afternoon as well. :crybaby: :crybaby:

I'm not sure what caused it and we were doing so well. I'm trying to not freak out and say that's it and back to kibble!

Did you feed him livers? Not sure if it's the same situation as me, but when I first started raw, I started feeding Leo livers every day, every meal to get to that 10% number. Then, someone on here told me that liver is really rich, like a block of fudge for dogs. Leo threw up, had diarrhea for a couple of days, in the house as well. It was bad. I ended up decreasing the liver and slowly introducing him to other organ meats. I hope you aren't discouraged though, the beginning is the hardest getting used to how your pup will react.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:31 pm

willyg44 wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:I spoke to soon :crybaby:

Did you feed him livers? Not sure if it's the same situation as me, but when I first started raw, I started feeding Leo livers every day, every meal to get to that 10% number. Then, someone on here told me that liver is really rich, like a block of fudge for dogs. Leo threw up, had diarrhea for a couple of days, in the house as well. It was bad. I ended up decreasing the liver and slowly introducing him to other organ meats. I hope you aren't discouraged though, the beginning is the hardest getting used to how your pup will react.

Yeah I did give him liver...every day since Thursday less than an ounce split between 2 meals a day. I thought he was tolerating it, because his poop had been hard and fine until this morning. I am off tomorrow so I am going shopping and hopefully getting kidney and/or another organ meat and another protein as well. Now I am trying to decide between turkey and pork. I guess part of that decision will lie in what I can find at the store. I'm trying to not get too discouraged.

After thinking about it and doing some reading around I think the beef oxtail may have been too fatty and possibly what caused the problem :dunno:

Is there anything I can do in between meals to try and help with the diarrhea...should this happen again? I didn't give him any pepto, immodium or anything like that because I didn't want to further complicate things.

Should I add a probiotic while he adjusts? He is still getting some yogurt in the morning with his pills, but I am not sure if that is enough.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Pumpkin will help firm him up. Pork in my dogs makes them GAS monsters...oh my lord, I am talking break open a window type of gas...lol...Pork is a good meat, Pork Necks are consider a bone meal. Rather than doing organ everyday, try to get it down to one or two days a week, so you can prepare if he has a "opps" moment. I do organs once a week, sometimes twice, depends on what I have. How did he do with the chicken? Turkey is a good one. Thighs, necks, legs, wings, breast..all great items to feed.

FBODGRL wrote:Should I add a probiotic while he adjusts?
yuppers!! Remember it takes time. Some dogs you can do stuff cold turkey, others take a bit of adjusting.

You would be amazed at what you can find at the grocery store. But, I just stocked my freezer with two hundred pounds of red meat, and some necks, and hearts..so I can't go treasury hunting..lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:20 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:Pumpkin will help firm him up. Pork in my dogs makes them GAS monsters...oh my lord, I am talking break open a window type of gas...lol...Pork is a good meat, Pork Necks are consider a bone meal. Rather than doing organ everyday, try to get it down to one or two days a week, so you can prepare if he has a "opps" moment. I do organs once a week, sometimes twice, depends on what I have. How did he do with the chicken? Turkey is a good one. Thighs, necks, legs, wings, breast..all great items to feed.

FBODGRL wrote:Should I add a probiotic while he adjusts?
yuppers!! Remember it takes time. Some dogs you can do stuff cold turkey, others take a bit of adjusting.

You would be amazed at what you can find at the grocery store. But, I just stocked my freezer with two hundred pounds of red meat, and some necks, and hearts..so I can't go treasury hunting..lol

He is allergic to chicken so I haven't tried any chicken I plan on trying chicken last and hoping that he won't react to it. Do they sell turkey parts separately? I have seen necks at the pet store where I got premade raw so I figured if I couldn't find them at the store I could pick them up there. I was just wondering if I am supposed to carving up a whole turkey for the parts?

I am going to search for another organ besides the liver and pull what I have out of the pre portioned bags so I can just give it once or twice a week like you are suggesting. I can do it on my days off work so I am at least at home "in case"

Is human probiotic Ok. Cause I can run to the health store while I am out and if I do that is it just like a pill or 2 a day. I'm guessing :dunno:

I do have pumpkin at home so I will give him some when I get home after work. If he has a diarrhea "incident" can I just give him some pumpkin right away? How much?

Also I have some beef marrow bones. I know they aren't great for a RMB, but for chews they are ok, right? I think I remember reading something about the marrow causing diarrhea too. I haven't given him any, but I do have some in the freezer.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Oh and thanks for all the help guy's I appreciate it!

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:33 pm

I give my dogs, even the ones who don't eat a raw diet, beef marrow bones every other day. I can't speak for others, but I have had no issues with upset stomachs.

Jack had a really bad bout of diarrhea; I fasted him the rest of the day (And gave him a dose of Pepto) and the next morning gave him a small portion (cooked) chicken and brown rice and just watched. His poops were fine, so dinner was a mix of leftover brown rice and some chicken thighs. Went back to full raw the next day and he was fine.

I also fed too much liver too quickly as he doesn't have these reactions with other organs/meats.

As, quick question (Not to high jack!), my store was out of fresh livers from the meat counter... So I bought a package of frozen chicken livers (They come in a little plastic cup that makes them look like fish bait... Anyway), and I was reading the ingredients/nutritional content (Cause of the crap additives that sometimes get added), and I noticed that it said 1 serving of the livers had 0% vitamin A... How is that possible?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:11 am

For the first week or so I gave my girls each a little dog biscuit before bed to stave off the bile barfs while their stomaches adjusted. It worked 100% for them, no more bile puke after that. After they got used to it, they now eat just one meal a day, with some training treats or a biscuit of some kind during the day (or, if they're really lucky, a Dorito or two). :)

I know it feels overwhelming at first, but it becomes really, really easy and no big deal. Don't stress!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:52 am

Had more diarrhea while I was at work. I so wish he would keep it to the tile lol

He wouldn't have anything to do with the pumpkin. I fasted him last night and gave him 2 pepto's. No accidents overnight, but a small amount of liquid diarrhea this morning(dark colored from the pepto) I am continuing to fast this morning and decide what next depending how he does over the next little bit.

I think I am gonna go for turkey. So I'll run out today and hopefully be able to get some different turkey that won't leave me having to butcher a whole turkey!! I'm also going to get a probiotic. Anyone have an answer for how much/many of a human probiotic to give. He is 55 lbs.

I feel sop bad for my big lug!!

I'll try the biscuit thing to stop the bile barfs too when we get back on track.

Return to “Health Issues”