RAW feeding couple questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: RAW feeding couple questions

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 am

edit...gave him a little more pepto. He is laying here next to me and I can hear his stomach churning :crybaby: Poor guy!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 am

Starting out with a high fat meat like beef is almost always going to cause diarrhea. It's very rich. My two can only have small amounts of beef and need a high bone content with it to keep their poop normal.

I know he has issues with chicken, so I completely agree that turkey is a great option. MUCH lower in fat than beef and should be better tolerated, especially for a newbie.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 am

You can buy the peices of turkey in the grocery store. It's nice, because you can see the weight on the package. So, there is no need to buy a whole one. But, if you have space, after Thanksgiving, they are drastically marked down, and I usually scoop a few of them up if I have space for my guys. I don't cut them up, I give them each a go, and let them gorge, and then fast the next day. because, I am a lazy like that...lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:23 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Starting out with a high fat meat like beef is almost always going to cause diarrhea. It's very rich. My two can only have small amounts of beef and need a high bone content with it to keep their poop normal.

I know he has issues with chicken, so I completely agree that turkey is a great option. MUCH lower in fat than beef and should be better tolerated, especially for a newbie.

See I knew I should have just started a thread before I bought the beef. I asked in the raw thread and wasn't getting a response so I just went ahead and got the beef.

I picked up turkey today. Turkey necks, wings and drumsticks. I did have to go to 2 stores. I knew I should have went to the second one first(thats where I got the turkey necks).

He had a turkey neck in the early afternoon and he just had part of a wing. No poops since the little diarrhea this morning and I am not really expecting hoping to see any until tomorrow. I fed the wing with the skin and stuff still on. I'm hoping that is OK and won't be another diarrhea causing issue lol

I also got a human grade probiotic. Human dose is 2 pills a day. I gave him 1 when I fed him the neck. Any input on 1 or 2 pills a day?

ProudMommy77 wrote:You can buy the peices of turkey in the grocery store. It's nice, because you can see the weight on the package. So, there is no need to buy a whole one. But, if you have space, after Thanksgiving, they are drastically marked down, and I usually scoop a few of them up if I have space for my guys. I don't cut them up, I give them each a go, and let them gorge, and then fast the next day. because, I am a lazy like that...lol

I'm guessing you just "know" that they aren't eating too much...as in too much and they will get fat.

I am so happy you guys are helping me. I would seriously be freaking out if it weren't for the help.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:35 pm

I weighed everything in the beginning..... now I never weigh anything and just eyeball it. If it seems like an especially large meal, they are fasted the next day or get a small meal. I keep an eye on their waistline and if they looked like they were gaining weight I'd cut it down. They're both young and active though, so that hasn't been an issue yet.

After some trial and error you'll learn what meats he does well on and how much you can give him in a meal. I keep the beef and pork portions smaller with more bone, otherwise my two with have loose poop.

I was so nervous and overwhelmed when we first started... trust me, it gets to be super easy!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:20 am

Something to keep in mind is like Jacki said, having young dogs that are active. I am bit more careful with the old lady dog, she doesn't get as much exercise anymore, and has slowed down a bit, so she gets a certain amount. The others are heavily exercised, so I don't worry about letting them gorge, they just fast the next day, get a brain toy (goat head, pork neck slab or something like that). The beauty of feeding raw, cheap brain toys.... roflmao roflmao roflmao ...yesterday, I threw out a fifty pound carcass of a calf, the puppy got a nice go at it, it was frozen, so they had to work extra hard to eat. She was pooped out, came in and took a nice long nap.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:58 am

Little diarrhea this morning along with some hard/normal poop. I'm guessing tummy is adjusting back from the upset. He had another turkey neck this morning and I will do another wing for dinner.

I also gave him a porbiotic this morning.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:03 am

Ok...couple more questions. Big surprise I know roflmao

#1 I haven't added organ since this weekend diarrhea fest. i was planning on holding off adding them for a couple weeks. That's ok, right??

#2 I have some friends who hunt and since deer season has started here I posted a thread on my car club board and am also planning to ask some guys at work. I know that dogs can/will eat "parts" humans won't, don't want. What exactly should I be asking for as far as parts? I know organs. I guess I am not sure what parts human would eat so I don't know what to ask for.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:39 pm

figured I'd add a little update.

We have been doing turkey for about a week and a half with no problems...Necks and wings. I picked up a bunch on sale earlier this week since I know he can tolerate it. We are going to try some pork tomorrow. I think I will do a turkey neck for breakfast and then I got some pork ribs I can do for dinner(or vice versa) I also picked up some pigs feet and some pork necks, but I am holding off on those until next week.

We haven't done any organs since the last diarrhea mishap. I wanted to go 2 weeks without them. So on Monday I will probably give him a little organ(since I am off work) I have liver and I think spleen. I'm only going to slowly add organ, that's ok, right?

I absolutely have to get a separate freezer since with the turkey parts alone my freezer is at it's max and I can't even get to my food. i have a friend who has some venison from last year for me, but I haven't had a place to put it lol

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 am

holding off on the organ meat was a good idea. and yes, when you introduce it, start SMALL. seriously, small. i know some dogs get ''organ meals' a day or two every week, but there's no way in hell that would work for my sensitive tummy dog. she gets a very small cube of frozen liver and another organ (usually kidney or spleen) in the morning, and her normal meal in the evening. basically, i get about a 1.5lb chunk of liver, and cut it into approximately 30 pieces. that's her liver intake for the month (she gets 1lb a day, and liver is 5% of her diet). any more liver than that, and we're into tap-ass territory.

how's the current poop situation? (only a raw feeder would ask that lol)
the pork may give your dog a bit of the squirts, but ribs and feet are pretty high bone content, so hopefully it'll all even out. venison is awesome too! it's pretty lean, and my dog had no problems switching over to it.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 am

Poop has been good once we worked out the beef and probably organ ordeal. So he has been pretty decent with hard small poop since we have been doing the neck/wing combo.

I gave him the ribs this morning since I will be home all day in case the pork bothers him. So we are 5 hours in from breakfast and so far so good....of course we have been sleeping (I worked midnights last night)

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

it took my dog a while to adjust to pork, but as long as she gets some edible bone with it she's fine now. or i just give her a pork hock and expect a bit of tap-ass the next day. no biggie. even if your boy gets a bit of the runs from it, don't be shocked, and don't give up on it!

beef took a lot longer for my dog to deal with. even now, she doesn't get a ton of beef. i often use ground mix (it's beef with organs mixed in, from my butcher) to stuff into kongs, but otherwise she doesn't get much. most of the red meat she gets is lamb, moose, and deer. all of which were MUCH easier on her system.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Woohoo...poop good all day long :yipee: ....only dog people good say this and hear this and be excited roflmao

I packaged up some pigs feet I bought earlier this week. So I may try one of those next week.

I also bought my freezer today. I am SO excited! This is the one I got http://products.geappliances.com/ApplPr ... FUF17SVRWW I got it from a used appliance store for $200 with a 90 day warranty. It is in great condition looks basically new.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:20 am

oooh an upright!
let me know how you like it, all my freezers are chest ones. an upright may take up less floor space!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Will do.

I decided on an upright because I figured it would be easier to organize and find stuff. I'm really particular about organization lol It fits perfect where I decided it to go too.

Return to “Health Issues”