RAW feeding couple questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Flibgit
Matured Bully

Re: RAW feeding couple questions

Postby Flibgit » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:46 pm

We have an upright and a chest freezer for the dogs. They both have pros and cons. The upright is easier to organize, but harder to pack really full, because when you open the door, stuff falls out. On the other hand, I can cram the chest freezer as full as I want and don't have to worry about a 5 pound block of frozen beef liver landing on my foot when I open it.

However, I have to dig around in it to find what I'm looking for. My husband thinks it's hilarious when I'm balancing on my stomach on the edge of the chest freezer trying to find something in the bottom. He's 10 inches taller than me so can just bend over and grab whatever it is, but he doesn't offer because it's more fun to see if I'll fall into a freezer of dog food.

By the way, it hurts when the frozen liver lands on your bare foot, so be careful. :)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:51 pm

yeah I have already had turkey necks, wings some liver and spleen fall on me out of my regular freezer. Not a good time roflmao

Oh and those pigs feet...I almost threw up packaging them up last night...nasty :yucky:

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:13 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Oh and those pigs feet...I almost threw up packaging them up last night...nasty :yucky:

really? feet?
guess this one would push you over the edge then? lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Ummm...yeah! Don't think I will ever be able to fed heads lol

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:10 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Ummm...yeah! Don't think I will ever be able to fed heads lol

reconsider it...heads, whole carcasses, ribs, all of that is a great brain toy, as well as a good way to exercise the jaw muscles.

The only thing I refuse to touch is tongue. yup, I am not doing it, I will feed it, but I have to dump it out with out actually touching it. roflmao

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:19 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:
FBODGRL wrote:Ummm...yeah! Don't think I will ever be able to fed heads lol

reconsider it...heads, whole carcasses, ribs, all of that is a great brain toy, as well as a good way to exercise the jaw muscles.

The only thing I refuse to touch is tongue. yup, I am not doing it, I will feed it, but I have to dump it out with out actually touching it. roflmao

We'll have to see. I can say already I am surprised that I have handled half the stuff I have. I must really love Khan lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 pm

ugh...meant to actually post a couple questions

Is thawing and then refreezing bad, like it is for humans? or is it OK to do for them?

What do you guy's feed for fish?

Flibgit
Matured Bully

Postby Flibgit » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:28 pm

I have ground beef in my freezer that's from 2007 for the dogs. I know it's been thawed and frozen at least twice. My dogs don't care.

As for fish, I bought 60 pounds of tilapia. I throw it towards the lake and hope the local eagles eat it before it starts to stink because my ingrates will. not. eat. it. I bought a couple of smelt at the grocery store because they were 50 cents each. My ingrates will. not. eat. it. They'll eat canned tuna and sardines though. And Amber will eat fish oil capsules like they're treats, she even bites down on them to make sure she gets to taste the oil. *shrug* Andre will eat fish oil if I just drizzle it on his food or hide the capsules in ground meat.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:18 pm

FBODGRL wrote:ugh...meant to actually post a couple questions

Is thawing and then refreezing bad, like it is for humans? or is it OK to do for them?

I've thawed and refroze stuff before and haven't had any issues.

Leo goes crazy for sardines in olive oil. Sometimes they have big sales and I pick some up. Also, I remember reading on here that freshwater fish have to be frozen for at least a week or so to be fed raw because they have some parasites that are very bad. Saltwater fish I think don't need to be frozen though. Someone will probably chime in to clarify though.

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:18 pm

FBODGRL wrote:ugh...meant to actually post a couple questions

I've thawed and refroze stuff before and haven't had any issues.

Leo goes crazy for sardines in olive oil. Sometimes they have big sales and I pick some up. Also, I remember reading on here that freshwater fish have to be frozen for at least a week or so to be fed raw because they have some parasites that are very bad. Saltwater fish I think don't need to be frozen though. Someone will probably chime in to clarify though.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 pm

For fish, I do whatever is cheap...that's right, I am cheap. lol. I believe a couple of summers ago, a friend of mine, got Mackerel for 90 cents a pound for a bunch of us. But, now it's whatever I find that is cheap. Canned, frozen, fresh, as long as it's cheap. And that is something that I only feed during the warm months, because Tripe is stinky enough...lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:56 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:For fish, I do whatever is cheap...that's right, I am cheap. lol. I believe a couple of summers ago, a friend of mine, got Mackerel for 90 cents a pound for a bunch of us. But, now it's whatever I find that is cheap. Canned, frozen, fresh, as long as it's cheap. And that is something that I only feed during the warm months, because Tripe is stinky enough...lol

I'm cheap too...well frugal at least. I don't see a need to pay more for things when I don't have to. Khan ate fish based food for quite a while, so I am thinking I may have luck with him eating some. I know he likes the canned stuff, because I have used it for kong stuffing and such.

My mom was acting like I was nuts when I said it was OK to thaw and refreeze! She keeps asking me questions and then gets sicked out when I tell her stuff lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:32 am

Well I tried one of the pigs feet on Monday morning. What a mess. He seemed to have a hard time with it. Then he did the eat, regurgitate, eat a couple of times...after about 20 minutes I couldn't take it anymore. I took the half eaten, puked up mess and threw it out :yucky:

I'm gonna start with some organ on Thursday. Just a little bit. I actually read somewhere you could/should wait until 7-8 weeks, but I'm not waiting that long. I have some liver and kidney.

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby chelsea00133 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:19 am

FBODGRL wrote:Well I tried one of the pigs feet on Monday morning. What a mess. He seemed to have a hard time with it. Then he did the eat, regurgitate, eat a couple of times...after about 20 minutes I couldn't take it anymore. I took the half eaten, puked up mess and threw it out :yucky:

I'm gonna start with some organ on Thursday. Just a little bit. I actually read somewhere you could/should wait until 7-8 weeks, but I'm not waiting that long. I have some liver and kidney.

I don't give Bailey pigs feet hardly ever anymore for that exact same reason. He seems to have a hard time with the small hard bones, because he doesn't chew them, he just swallows them... which means they usually come back up.

I don't see why you should wait 8 weeks until feeding organ.... I've never heard of that anywhere before either.

Make sure you start out with a small amount, since he is not used to it. Maybe a couple chicken livers or 1/3 of a beef/calves liver. Liver is the more "important" organ to feed, so I'd start with that.

I feed liver once a week, and usually half a beef kidney once a week too.

Just a warning.... beef kidney gives Bailey horrible gas lol

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:06 am

chelsea00133 wrote:Make sure you start out with a small amount, since he is not used to it. Maybe a couple chicken livers or 1/3 of a beef/calves liver. Liver is the more "important" organ to feed, so I'd start with that.

I feed liver once a week, and usually half a beef kidney once a week too.

a small ammount is 1/3 of a liver?? that would give my dog huuuuge tap-ass! lol
out of curiosity, how big are the livers that you get? i'm used to dealing with beef livers that are easily 8-10lbs each (just cut up a 10.5lb deer liver).
my dog gets a small ammount of liver every day, she can't do "organ meals", it's just too much for her. as she gets about 1lb of food a day, she goes through about 1.5lbs of liver a month. (5% x 1lb = 0.05lb = 0.8oz of liver per day)

Return to “Health Issues”