RAW feeding couple questions

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: RAW feeding couple questions

Postby chelsea00133 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:38 pm

kaytenmags wrote:
chelsea00133 wrote:Make sure you start out with a small amount, since he is not used to it. Maybe a couple chicken livers or 1/3 of a beef/calves liver. Liver is the more "important" organ to feed, so I'd start with that.

I feed liver once a week, and usually half a beef kidney once a week too.

a small ammount is 1/3 of a liver?? that would give my dog huuuuge tap-ass! lol
out of curiosity, how big are the livers that you get? i'm used to dealing with beef livers that are easily 8-10lbs each (just cut up a 10.5lb deer liver).

lol the livers I get are around 1lb... They usually are pre cut with several pieces about maybe 10" long, 4" wide and 1/2" thick... definityely not 10lbs each LOL. Maybe it's because you get them fresh? The liver I buy is store bought, I haven't been able to get any fresh meat from hunters so far (they don't want to give any meat up "just for a dog"...).

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:07 pm

chelsea00133 wrote:
kaytenmags wrote:
chelsea00133 wrote:Make sure you start out with a small amount, since he is not used to it. Maybe a couple chicken livers or 1/3 of a beef/calves liver. Liver is the more "important" organ to feed, so I'd start with that.

I feed liver once a week, and usually half a beef kidney once a week too.

a small ammount is 1/3 of a liver?? that would give my dog huuuuge tap-ass! lol
out of curiosity, how big are the livers that you get? i'm used to dealing with beef livers that are easily 8-10lbs each (just cut up a 10.5lb deer liver).

lol the livers I get are around 1lb... They usually are pre cut with several pieces about maybe 10" long, 4" wide and 1/2" thick... definityely not 10lbs each LOL. Maybe it's because you get them fresh? The liver I buy is store bought, I haven't been able to get any fresh meat from hunters so far (they don't want to give any meat up "just for a dog"...).

That is about the size I have too. I figured I would do even smaller than 1/3. Just a little of each to start out with. He is getting bone in meals twice a day so his poop is firm...some days it has been a little too firm, so I am hoping the organs will soften and not cause diarrhea.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 pm

chelsea00133 wrote:lol the livers I get are around 1lb... They usually are pre cut with several pieces about maybe 10" long, 4" wide and 1/2" thick... definityely not 10lbs each LOL. Maybe it's because you get them fresh? The liver I buy is store bought, I haven't been able to get any fresh meat from hunters so far (they don't want to give any meat up "just for a dog"...).

ah yes, that makes much more sense!
i get cow livers whole/fresh from a local rancher. it's all non-med, well raised, and it's really reasonably priced when you busy as much as i do lol (note: it's not all for my dogs consumption. i co-own a small dehydrated treats business. we go through a lot of liver)

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 pm

I usually feed 2-3 oz of liver at a time. If I thaw 4 oz like I usually pkg it, I'll feed that in 2 meals tho I could probably feed it all without giving the runs...

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Well I called into work tonight(having some jaw, head and neck pain thing going on) so I fed him some organs tonight...only about 2 oz and he had a turkey wing so he should be good. If so I can give him a pigs neck for breakfast. He hasn't had one of those yet.

I packaged up the liver an kidney in baggies with 2 oz portions in it. I'll see how he does with that small amount 2-3 times a week and work our way up.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:53 am

We tried Lamb yesterday for the first time. No problems with it other than the gas :yucky:

He also had a little organ over the weekend with no problems.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 pm

How did Kahn do with the Turkey Wing? I fed Judge his first Turkey wing last night and it just worried me, he is a great chewer and had no problems, I think it is just the size that threw me off.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 pm

I hear that a lot about lamb, but even Fiona, who is prone to gas, doesn't get it from lamb. *shrug*

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:36 am

Red Chrome wrote:How did Kahn do with the Turkey Wing? I fed Judge his first Turkey wing last night and it just worried me, he is a great chewer and had no problems, I think it is just the size that threw me off.

Really well. I have been feeding primarily turkey necks and turkey wings. Partly because after the beef incident those were the 1st protein and partly because I got a ton of it when they were on sale for .88 cents a pound lol

I basically take the wing and make it into two portions by cutting the skin and breaking the one bone. Depending on the size it started off as it makes it about 1/2 lb give or take a little.

At this point I am still feeding bone in every meal, although some meals have more meat and less bone than others. I am picking up some venison this week.

I will also be trying fish with him in the next couple of days. I have some catfish thawing now (only fillets, not the whole fish kind)

WackyJacki wrote:I hear that a lot about lamb, but even Fiona, who is prone to gas, doesn't get it from lamb. *shrug*

It was nasty gas too....and he kept insisting on laying with his butt end near my face roflmao I have another portion of lamb in the freezer, but I don't see lamb being a big staple unless I get it on sale...cause man that was stinky!

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:16 am

I didn't break Judge's into 2 pieces, next time I think I will. I feed bone in pretty much every meal as well but it varies in each one. Turkey is a new protein for us since we started with Lamb, beef and chicken.

I feed Tilapia for fish cause it's cheap. lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:20 pm

Yeah I bought bags of frozen that were on sale so I got a variety we have cod, catfish and tilapia

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Ok...boneless meat question.

I got a bunch of venison that I portioned out today. Since we started I have feed mostly all bone in meat. When you feed meat that has no bone do you cut it in pieces or just give them the 1/2lb or 1 lb piece all together. I'm guessing it depends on the dog and doesn't really matter, but figured I would check.

On another note Khan had his first fish...catfish fillet on Thursday. He seemed interested at first, then confused for a while, but he did end up eating it so that's a good sign :yipee:

p27rpy
Newborn Bully

Postby p27rpy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:19 am

i started cash on a raw diet about 3 weeks ago, and was very skeptical about it at first. but after 3 weeks, i have to say that the results are very promising! check them out for yourself:

Cash's teeth before raw diet (Ignore the chipped tooth, it's all fixed up now)

And after 3 weeks on raw:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Now that Khan has been on RAW for over a month I should take a look at his teeth. They weren't bad before I started him, but if we are lucky they will be even better now.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:55 pm

Ok I need some help and guidance as I know I am making errors and I am not sure what to do.

Khan has been on RAW for a little over 3 months or so. This is where we are at.

Proteins he has had: Turkey, pork, fish (tilapia, catfish, cod and salmon), venison, beef and lamb(only once) He primarily eats turkey and pork with fish once or twice a week.

Organ: Beef Liver and kidney at a 50/50 ratio I portioned the mix in 2 oz bags and give roughly 1/2 the bag with breakfast daily (5-7 days a week)

Early this morning he woke me up with explosive diarrhea. I took him out and when he was done. We went back to bed only to have him throw up turkey wing in my bed :crybaby: He has never thrown up like that before so far after eating. he ate at like 1130pm and threw up around 530am.

Issue currently is that his poop will be fine...maybe a little hard and then out of nowhere be diarrhea or soft poop the next time

The main issue is I know that he is getting to much bone and I think that is a part of what is causing some problems. He is pooping often usually 3 or more times a day. His poop sometimes is hard, but generally not chalky, etc. there have been sometimes where it is too hard and he will have a fossil poop, pass that and then have soft poop right after like he was stopped up. This to me the newbie sounds all bone related....also making sense because I feed bone in almost every meal. I am confused on what "boneless" to feed him. When I portioned some stuff this week I packaged some light bone packages of turkey wings with mostly meat and some pork neck parts with boneless pork added in. Should I go to that or just straight boneless? I'm worried about diarrhea and it seems when I have feed boneless he gets diarrhea. I am not sure if it is the type of protein or the fact that it is boneless alone that is causing the problem.

this is kind of a typical menu for him for say 5 days

breakfast 1 oz liver/kidney spoonful cottage cheese
turkey neck 1/2lb or less
dinner turkey wing 1/2lb or less

breakfast 1 oz liver/kidney spoonful yogurt
...fish(cod, salmon or catfish)

turkey neck 1/2 lb or less
dinner pork ribs 1/2lb or less

breakfast 1 oz liver/kidney spoonful yogurt
pork neck 1/2lb or less

turkey neck 1/2lb or less
dinner fish (cod, salmon or catfish)

I add in a little venison depending on the weight of what I am feeding.

Question #1 does feeding frozen some times cause issues with digestion? Meaning diarrhea or soft poop?

Question#2 How long theoretically does it take for them to "process" a meal. 12hr, 24 hr? I am trying to determine what may be causing stomach upset and knowing how long it takes to get into/out their system might help.

What "boneless" cuts of meat should I be looking for.

Help....I'm starting to feel panicky again!

Return to “Health Issues”