Blood worms?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Adrianne

Blood worms?

Postby Adrianne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:07 pm

The past 2 weeks or so we've been lax with all these storms and rain and the dog kiddy pool hasn't been dumped. It has gotten very filthy with clay dirt from the yard (which is common for the day after we change the water) and I noticed algae starting this week. I dumped it tonight and found a ton of what appear to my best knowledge to be blood worms? I looked up Skeeter Larva and these don't look the same... There are also brown ones that look almost like micro tadpoles?

I'm searching the web but can't seem to find any answers. I'm worried because the dogs have still been playing in the water every day, dirt and all.

Backup has had the runs (probably due to to fatty of raw supplement) the past few days so I'm extra sensitive about it.

I plan to call the vet in the morning if I can't find any reassuring info one way or the other but I thought I'd check in here.

I took some photos sans macro lens and in the dark so I'll see how they turn out and post asap.

Any knowledge on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Re: Blood worms?

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:18 pm

I was going to say Mosquito larvae but if that is not it I am not sure then.

Several years ago, we had pet turtles that lived in our backyard and they had a big thing full of water. I forgot to clean it out and there were lots of little brown, Mosquito larvae in it. They did look like tiny brown tadpoles.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm thinking the tiny brown owns may be mosquitos but not the red...

Here are the nasty photos

Looking now I think this is a mosquito larva

But these? blood worms I think

As close as my lens will allow

I just went out and bleached the crap outta the patio and now I'm all creepy crawly skin trying to research these bastards.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:57 am

I'm not 100% sure, to be fair... but those look EXACTLY like the blood worms I feed my fish. :(

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:31 am

Uhm, so yeah, nightmares now.

Wish I could be of help, but I've never even seen a bloodworm lol

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:38 am

Those do look like the pictures of bloodworms I saw on the internet. YUCK!

Well if you owned a Betta fish, it would sure be in heaven! lol

Semper Bull
Matured Bully

Postby Semper Bull » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Those are blood worms, they are the larvae of chironomid midge. The other thing you pictured is a mosquito larvae. The blood worms will not harm your dogs. I did some research a while back the first time that they showed up, because I had no idea what they were. I get them in the dogs pool in the summer, along with mosquito larvae. Although, before I clean out the pool, I do catch some of the larvae and feed it to my fish :)

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Semper Bull wrote:Those are blood worms, they are the larvae of chironomid midge. The other thing you pictured is a mosquito larvae. The blood worms will not harm your dogs. I did some research a while back the first time that they showed up, because I had no idea what they were. I get them in the dogs pool in the summer, along with mosquito larvae. Although, before I clean out the pool, I do catch some of the larvae and feed it to my fish :)

Thank you so much !

Return to “Health Issues”