Skin problem--probably Staph, recurring

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Reitz
Adolescent Bully

Skin problem--probably Staph, recurring

Postby Reitz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi everyone,
It's been a very long time since I've posted and I hope all is well here at the forum.
I did a search, but there are so many skin threads here, and not too many staph recurrence threads. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

About 3 months ago I noticed a thumbnail sized lesion on my dog's leg. It was kind of like a rough scab with red around it. Really thought nothing about it (she gets scabs tearing around the yard sometimes). Then she got more on her chest and trunk, mostly belly. They were all roundish, scabbed over, and fell off, and all were red. So we went to the vet. A round of oral antibiotics and an injection took care of them all (and gave her a terrible stomach problem). This was about a month ago or more, and her stomach is back to normal, but I found another lesion on her neck! This one is small, but it looks the same as before. I'm guessing staph (since it responded to antibiotics). Could staph sensitivity develop suddenly at 7 years old (people years)? Could it be something else? Should I be worried about an immuno problem?

Other info: She's 7, otherwise healthy, though with 2 CCL surgeries long ago. I feed her Origins Adult, switched from Before Grain about 6 months ago--which could be related, I guess, but she does really well on the Origins. Can't think of anything else.

I will go back to the vet, of course, but I wanted to arm myself with info first. The antibiotics do a number on her stomach even with probiotic supplements. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Skin problem--probably Staph, recurring

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:23 pm

as a staph sensitive dog owner now, I'll be very interested to see what people say. Thanks for posting.
(our staph is on the chin for now)

Reitz
Adolescent Bully

Postby Reitz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:26 pm

At what age did your dog become staph sensitive? Was there any underlying allergy?
Thanks for sharing.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:20 am

Absolutely.

My girl developed furunculosis last summer at the age of 10. Before that, she had never had any serious skin conditions. The vets told me that developing some type of allergy (ie. food, environmental, bacterial sensitivity) is common as dogs age and their immune systems are weakened.

My other guy definitely has a bacterial sensitivity and quite frequently develops skin lesions on the inside of his legs, the underside of his abdomen, and between his toes. We're just finishing up a course of antibiotics now.

From what I learned with Buddy, there is a strong possibility that your pups recurring infections have an underlying allergy or sensitivity issue. Is she on any fish oil supplements?

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:14 am

Reitz wrote:At what age did your dog become staph sensitive? Was there any underlying allergy?
Thanks for sharing.

Of al 3 of the dogs, she is the least sensitive to 'anything'. We feed out of metal and wash often. So shy she alone is getting staph was a curious question to the vet too. It started when she was 10 months (now 1yr 1.5mo). I started noticing these swollen, blistery things that never popped, on her chin. Unless that is of course she ran into something or one of the dogs used her ear/face as a chew toy.

We are now dealing with happy tail too. So if you get that, we've definitely got something in common!

Reitz
Adolescent Bully

Postby Reitz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:38 am

Allison,
She is not on any fish oil. Does that seem to help? If so, is there a special dog variety?
Thanks!

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Reitz wrote:Allison,
She is not on any fish oil. Does that seem to help? If so, is there a special dog variety?
Thanks!

Definitely. My girl eats j/d which has super high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids in it (for her joints) and since then, her skin and coat has incidentally never been better.

For your dog, any over the counter fish oil/omega-3 type supplement will do and/or using a fish-based diet (which both BG and Orijen have.)

I know people have had really good luck with something like a land and sea oil (herring and flax normally). I get my kelp here:
http://www.horseherbs.com/

and I'm pretty sure they have land and sea oil too.

Herbs for Horses is one of my favourite companies (and lucky for me, they're local!)

Reitz
Adolescent Bully

Postby Reitz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:08 pm

She's already on Orijin, which has a lot of fish in it already. Although I'm happy to try additional supplements, I'm guessing she already gets more fish oil than most dogs now that I look at the ingredients again.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Reitz wrote:She's already on Orijin, which has a lot of fish in it already. Although I'm happy to try additional supplements, I'm guessing she already gets more fish oil than most dogs now that I look at the ingredients again.

It couldn't hurt to add in more.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:17 am

Peanut had 3 different staph infections in about a 4-6 week period. We had just switched her to Castor and Pollux Organix food from Blue Buffalo Organics.

When we switched her back, she stopped having the staph infections and her coat got shiny again. The vet said to give her fish oil pills but we never did we just put her back on Blue Buffalo. They quit making the Organic, so we are in the process of switching her to a different Blue Buffalo, the one with salmon.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Reitz, any updates on the staph?

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 am

I'm dealing with two different kinds of staph now too. Blu has been on Atopica and prednisone off and on for atopy and I just learned from the vet derm that these suppressors will perpetuate the cycle of bacteria. Besides the 2-month abx course, he is off off pred and atopica. On a bunch of other antihistamines, fish oil, and potentially a new, fish based food. She hopes to only use pred in him when he's going through a truly terrible flare-up.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:44 pm

We have been almost 3 months without staph.

It started to look last week like it was staph. Well today she got her first exploding blister on her muzzle. You can see it 'budding' on her right side muzzle.

The underside of her chin looks like this right now. It is only a short amount of time before it gets more bubbly.

We were at the vet last week, and at the time, she did not think it looked like full fledged staph. But... in this case I think I know better. All the others looked like this in the beginning.

Any suggestions on what test I should have done at the vet or just do straight for the Simplicef?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Simplicef is what I would do...

Or maybe try some stridex pads at home for a couple days first if thats the only spot where she has issues.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Simplicef is what I would do...

Or maybe try some stridex pads at home for a couple days first if thats the only spot where she has issues.

I can try that. Much cheaper than Simplicef! but poor dear will be peroxided. I don't need a blond dog MissKiwi lol
Thanks for the suggestion.
Is it just the prevention of skin infection??

Return to “Health Issues”