Raw venison??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
peachesmommy
Adolescent Bully

Raw venison??

Postby peachesmommy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:48 pm

Is raw venison bad for dogs?? I made supper tonight using venison and a piece of it fell on the floor and without thinking I tossed it to her and was like "oh carp" Hoping it's not bad for them. I'm sure it'll probably give her the worst gas I've ever smelled. Is it bad? I've been thinking of turning her over to raw.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Re: Raw venison??

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:52 pm

no, when I can get my hands on deer meat, I feed it to my dogs.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 pm

nope! I love when someone I know has gotten a deer during hunting season!!! I get some of the "parts"! What is useless to them is gold to me and my girls!!!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:28 pm

I only wish I could score some venison for the dogs!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:40 pm

The only bad thing I can think of is parasites - I don't know what ones though. Deer meat itself isn't bad for the dogs.
I like it so much that my mouth sometimes waters when I see a deer - is that bad? :oops: lol

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:00 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:The only bad thing I can think of is parasites - I don't know what ones though. Deer meat itself isn't bad for the dogs.
I like it so much that my mouth sometimes waters when I see a deer - is that bad? :oops: lol

Mine does too lol

I love getting venison scraps for the dogs- I just put it in a deep freeze first :)

peachesmommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby peachesmommy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:04 am

If I get anything from family for deer parts I will make sure to freeze it. Should I worm her after consuming deer this season?

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 pm

if you feed raw...which I do, I worm every six months. But, I guess you really should do it really regardless.

peachesmommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby peachesmommy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Ok..this is an extremely stupid question...how often is normal for a dog to be wormed? I wormed her when I first got her and she was clean and the vets checked and said nothing. So how often should I do it? I never really knew it was something you had to do "regularly" I worm my horse every other month as a regular.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:07 pm

I don't, unless there's visual evidence of worms in the poop. Since I watch my dogs do the deed, I'll know when there's an infestation.

Just like, you don't go get tested for parasites, but if you saw one in the bowl - you'd probably go to the doctor for some sort of insecticide. You probably don't go get tested regularly for parasites and the gross thing is, you probably do have at least one form or another in your body right now. (Yay!)

Now there's something to think about lol

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:I don't, unless there's visual evidence of worms in the poop. Since I watch my dogs do the deed, I'll know when there's an infestation.

Just like, you don't go get tested for parasites, but if you saw one in the bowl - you'd probably go to the doctor for some sort of insecticide. You probably don't go get tested regularly for parasites and the gross thing is, you probably do have at least one form or another in your body right now. (Yay!)

x2 I never worm unless I see signs.. but.. thanks... *itch itch*

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:39 pm

My girl is on heartworm meds. I rotate Heartgard and Inteceptor, so our worm bases are pretty much covered. I also do fecal checks every 6mths just to be sure.

---ummm.... really didn't want to think about that! lol

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:53 am

Adrianne wrote:
BrokenAquarian wrote:I don't, unless there's visual evidence of worms in the poop. Since I watch my dogs do the deed, I'll know when there's an infestation.

x2 I never worm unless I see signs.. but.. thanks... *itch itch*

Is it weird that I drink a capful of pyrantel (It's human grade) every 6 months or so? Especially after working with seedy shelter dogs? lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:35 am

Actually... no, you won't see them unless there's an absolutely HUGE infestation. Puppies poop and vomit worms because there are so many worms there's no room for them in their tiny little intestinal tracts. I see adults with worms on a regular basis, and few are showing any clinical effects.

If your dog walks on grass (hookworms crawl through the skin), lives in a warm moist climate (giardia and whipworms are more prevalent) goes to areas where other dogs spend time (roundworms are in feces), or eats other animals (tapeworms come from eating raw meat), they are at risk of getting internal parasites.

Every dog should have a yearly fecal, and cats too! Did you know that 20% of potting soil is infested with roundworms, making even indoor pets at risk of infection???

Here are the 2008 Companion Animal Parasite Council General guidelines. Visit www.capcvet.org for some REALLY disgusting reading!

Parasite Control Should Be Guided by Veterinarians
Prescribe control programs to local parasite prevalence and individual pet lifestyle factors.
Adapt prevention recommendations to address emerging parasite threats.
Conduct physical examinations at least every six to twelve months or as deemed advisable by your veterinarian.
Conduct annual heartworm testing in dogs; test cats prior to placing on preventative and thereafter as indicated by history and physical findings.
Conduct fecal examinations two or four times during the first year of life and one to two times per year in adults, depending on patient health and lifestyle factors.

Every Pet, All Year Long
Administer year-round broad-spectrum parasite control with efficacy against heartworm, intestinal parasites with zoonotic potential, fleas, and ticks.
Administer anthelmintic treatment to puppies and kittens starting at two weeks of age repeating every two weeks until regular broad spectrum parasite control begins.
Maintain pregnant and nursing dams on broad-spectrum control products.

Healthy Lifestyle, Healthy pets, Healthy People
Feed pets cooked or prepared food (not raw diets) and provide fresh, potable water.
Cover sandboxes when not in use and protect garden areas from fecal contamination.
Pick up feces immediately whenever walking a dog in a public area; remove feces from the backyard environment at least weekly, preferably daily.
Keep dogs and cats under control; do not allow roaming.
Practice good personal hygiene when handling animal waste, particularly important for children and other individuals at increased risk.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 am

GSDBulldog wrote:Is it weird that I drink a capful of pyrantel (It's human grade) every 6 months or so? Especially after working with seedy shelter dogs? lol

No, I've contemplated it... also contemplated asking my doctor to do a parasite test, just to see the look on their faces! I consider myself at high risk, and therefore I feel I should be tested regularly too!

Return to “Health Issues”