Canned Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Flint, Mich.
Contact:

Canned Food

Postby AmberD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:29 pm

So it's fairly accepted that cats should have a mostly wet diet, if not entirely wet. Cats are true carnivores and require a higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet than what dry food provides. Also, the moisture factor is big. I'm not posting to debate this issue, as I don't feed my cats entirely wet and am not demanding that anyone else do so.

My concern is that I am seeing more and more cat people instructing dog people that DOGS should be on an entirely CANNED diet, and that kibble is bad for them. I was just on the cat forum I visit regularly, and one person either works or volunteers at a shelter and tells people who adopt dogs that they should feed their new dog CANNED food. I have never heard such a thing. I know BARF is great for dogs, but canned? I have always been told it's awful for dogs, especially as a regular thing. And I've certainly never seen people on here say they feed their dogs canned food.

How should I respond to these ideas? Is there good research I can cite to show that canned food is in fact NOT good for dogs like it is cats? (or maybe I'm wrong, you can tell me that, too)

User avatar
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: www.collarshop.org
Contact:

Re: Canned Food

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:38 pm

A high quality, canned food is great for dogs. I think the reason why it gets a bad rap is because people have been led to believe that kibble helps keep a dog's teeth clean (it doesn't).

A grain free canned food has little carbs, lots of meat, less fillers, and a high moisture content, which more closely mimics their natural diet. :thumbsup:

User avatar
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Flint, Mich.
Contact:

Re: Canned Food

Postby AmberD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Oh, I agree that a high quality canned food would be good. I guess I wasn't trying to say all canned food is bad... I'm more concerned that people are actively telling dog owners that dry food is bad for their dogs and they should only feed canned... and they're not necessarily specifying a high quality canned food, just canned food. In the particular thread I'm looking at now, the person at the shelter was miffed that they had to promote Purina (thumbs up there) and also miffed she wasn't allowed to suggest canned food at all, and someone suggested she promote canned Purina One, as it is a Purina product.

User avatar
GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 8705
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:17 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida
Contact:

Re: Canned Food

Postby GSDBulldog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:14 pm

WackyJacki wrote:A high quality, canned food is great for dogs. I think the reason why it gets a bad rap is because people have been led to believe that kibble helps keep a dog's teeth clean (it doesn't).



It really doesn't help with tartar build-up?

I feel lost now lol

I'd feed canned food more often if it weren't for

1. The smell. Even the good stuff reeks.

2. The price. It averages around $2/can here.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Canned Food

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Cats are different than dogs in one key factor however... cats are desert animals, dogs are not. The reason we recommend canned food for cats is not for the carbohydrate content so much as the water content. Carbs are important for general health and diabetes prevention, but that pales in comparison to their water consumption needs.

An average cat on dry food will have a urine specific gravity of greater than 1.050, with the ideal being about 1.035.

Its unusual for me to see a dog thats not clinically dehydrated with a specific gravity above 1.035. In fact, I see more dogs who drink too MUCH water than I do dogs who don't drink enough. Its rare for me to see a cat that drinks enough water.

I don't have exact numbers, but I'd estimate approximately 5 times as many cats die from kidney failure as dogs, mostly related to how hard the kidneys have to work when the body is subclinically dehydrated year after year. This is not an issue in dogs.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Canned Food

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 pm

AmberD wrote:... and they're not necessarily specifying a high quality canned food, just canned food. .


Canned food has a tendency to contain better ingredients than dry food, purely related to the lack of carbs needed.

I would NEVER feed my cats dry fancy feast or friskies... but I have a case of fancy feast canned food on my counter for my kitties. I find the pate' style foods have better ingredients than the gravy types, no need to make artificial gravy and neat looking meat chunks...

Classic Chicken, could be better, but could be a LOT worse, and for the price when I go through three cans a day, I'm a big fan:
Chicken, chicken broth, liver, meat by-products, fish, poultry by-products, artificial and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, guar gum, potassium chloride, added color, salt, magnesium sulfate, taurine, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, niacin, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention), manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.

The Chicken Dry Food:
Brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), ground yellow corn, soybean meal, animal liver flavor, chicken, turkey, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, salt, natural and artificial flavors, potassium chloride, dried yeast, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2 and other color), taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

User avatar
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Flint, Mich.
Contact:

Re: Canned Food

Postby AmberD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
AmberD wrote:... and they're not necessarily specifying a high quality canned food, just canned food. .


Canned food has a tendency to contain better ingredients than dry food, purely related to the lack of carbs needed.

I would NEVER feed my cats dry fancy feast or friskies... but I have a case of fancy feast canned food on my counter for my kitties. I find the pate' style foods have better ingredients than the gravy types, no need to make artificial gravy and neat looking meat chunks...


Yeah, I've always heard "the worst canned food is better than the best dry food" in regard to CATS for that reason. When I give wet food to my cats, it's Friskies, because that's what they will eat. I tried higher quality cans, and they said no.

BUT would you say the same thing about dog food? If it was cost effective, do you think feeding a dog canned Pedigree would be better than say TOTW kibble?

User avatar
AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:51 pm
Location: Flint, Mich.
Contact:

Re: Canned Food

Postby AmberD » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 pm

GSDBulldog wrote:I'd feed canned food more often if it weren't for

1. The smell. Even the good stuff reeks.

2. The price. It averages around $2/can here.


I thought the Merrick cans smelled pretty decent. Blue Buffalo has a new line of canned food that seems very similar, and smells decent as well. Definitely expensive though.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Canned Food

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:38 pm

AmberD wrote:BUT would you say the same thing about dog food? If it was cost effective, do you think feeding a dog canned Pedigree would be better than say TOTW kibble?


I don't know... how do the ingredients compare?

Beef Pedigree canned:
Sufficient Water For Processing, Chicken By-products, Chicken, Meat By-products, Liver, Beef, Brewers Rice, Minerals ( Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide), Vegetable Oil (source Of Linoleic Acid), Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Carrageenan, Dried Yam, Added Color, Natural Smoke Flavor, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Vitamins (vitamin E, A & D3 Supplements, D-calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate [vitamin B1], Biotin), Onion Powder, Bay Leaves, Garlic Powder, Sodium Nitrite (for Color Retention).

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: Canned Food

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:47 am

AmberD wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:
AmberD wrote:... and they're not necessarily specifying a high quality canned food, just canned food. .


Canned food has a tendency to contain better ingredients than dry food, purely related to the lack of carbs needed.

I would NEVER feed my cats dry fancy feast or friskies... but I have a case of fancy feast canned food on my counter for my kitties. I find the pate' style foods have better ingredients than the gravy types, no need to make artificial gravy and neat looking meat chunks...


Yeah, I've always heard "the worst canned food is better than the best dry food" in regard to CATS for that reason. When I give wet food to my cats, it's Friskies, because that's what they will eat. I tried higher quality cans, and they said no.

BUT would you say the same thing about dog food? If it was cost effective, do you think feeding a dog canned Pedigree would be better than say TOTW kibble?



I will pull out my whole dog general from last year. yearly they rate foods. I believe it was in that article they were discussing the benefit/difference of feeding wet/canned food to dogs. I have read/heard that the canned food is really good for them, but to me to feed a medium or large dog it seems very cost restrictive.

User avatar
KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1808
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:22 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Canned Food

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:35 am

I feed Maybelle canned when I can't feed her raw. With school and work, it's hard to make time to actually prepare food. So she's been on mostly Blue Wilderness Canned or Wellness.

User avatar
dogs4jen
Forum Junky
Posts: 3610
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12 am
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Canned Food

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am

It seems to really help dogs put on weight. I got some for Austin when he was recovering from parvo and it really seemed to help him put on some weight. I've been giving Roscoe a spoonful with his kibble lately because he's been so skinny even though I feed him the same amount as Austin who weighs ten more pounds, and he looks better now.

User avatar
littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Canned Food

Postby littleCloClo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Its rare for me to see a cat that drinks enough water.

I don't have exact numbers, but I'd estimate approximately 5 times as many cats die from kidney failure as dogs, mostly related to how hard the kidneys have to work when the body is subclinically dehydrated year after year. This is not an issue in dogs.


I have never ever heard this! My cats get wet food as a treat, but not that often, but this is going to change right away. Considering that my cats mostly drink using their paws to scoop up water, it wouldn't surprise that they could use more now that I'm thinking about it. Thank you!

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: Canned Food

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:24 pm

littleCloClo wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:Its rare for me to see a cat that drinks enough water.

I don't have exact numbers, but I'd estimate approximately 5 times as many cats die from kidney failure as dogs, mostly related to how hard the kidneys have to work when the body is subclinically dehydrated year after year. This is not an issue in dogs.


I have never ever heard this! My cats get wet food as a treat, but not that often, but this is going to change right away. Considering that my cats mostly drink using their paws to scoop up water, it wouldn't surprise that they could use more now that I'm thinking about it. Thank you!



You will LOVE the change. Not only for health, but their coats will look better too and if you feed correctly and they are overweight they will probably loose some weight too. 6 oz a day should be a fine amount foe an adult cat to maintain and even loose weight.

I've had mine on canned food only for around 6 or 7 years or so. I originally switched them when I couldn't get weight off my oldest cat. I switched to the wet food from a recommendation of a cat forum(same one Amber is talking about I think) and I am so glad I did. My vet said they are recommending wet food only for cats as standard now.

User avatar
Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 863
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:48 am

Re: Canned Food

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:39 pm

The times I forget to thaw Jake's raw food for the day, my go to back up is Honest Kitchen Force mixed with Evangers can dog food http://www.evangersdogfood.com/dog/index.html

A bit of a warning though, Evangers Mackeral is mighty powerful on the olfactory senses. Your whole kitchen will smell like tuna packing factory . . . whew :crybaby:

N :peace:


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 16 guests