Canned Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Canned Food

Postby star_frances » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:26 pm

I would love to go to all canned for my cats, but since I am feeding 8 right now I just can't do it financially (at least not with trying to feed 2 dogs and a rabbit high quality also). The cats get 3 cups a day of dry TOTW (2 in the morning and 1 at night), and I open up a 12.5oz can of Wellness for them to share in the evenings. I guess I could switch to a cheaper canned food and give it more often, what are your thoughts on that? I also got them a filtered water fountain for Christmas, which they all love - I immediately notced a huge increase in the amount of water they drink.

As for the dogs, they are on TOTW dry only.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:58 pm

I think the school of thought is cheaper wet food is better than a high quality dry food (for cats) I'm not entirely sure where I heard this though.

I know how much it costs to feed canned for ctas. Feeding 4 all canned high quality costs me around $80 or $ 90 a month. Sheesh....I hate to think sometimes how much some of the animals stuff costs lol The brands I feed are all almost 1.99 a can for the big cans. I think felidae is only 1.29, but they don't have it all the time.

If it were me I would probably feed a mix of high quality dry and low quality canned so you could feed canned more often.

With that in mind my 15 year old cat that crossed the bridge this summer was fed iams dry for about the majority of her life. Then I switched to iams canned. It was probably only the last 5 or 6 years she was on high quality canned. She was very healthy her whole life. She had a very large mass in her abdomen which could not be removed was why she had to be PTS.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:06 pm

FBODGRL wrote:If it were me I would probably feed a mix of high quality dry and low quality canned so you could feed canned more often.

That is definitely food for throught. lol

I wonder though - if I have to open 3-4 smaller cans to equal the large size can they are getting now, will it really be cheaper? Seems that will creep up close to $2 anyways. Hmmm. I just don't know. I will see what I can find. Just being able to get something inexpensive locally and not pay shipping would be a savings, I guess.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:20 pm

true....I HATE when they don't have the big cans. I don't even bother with the small ones except I buy them the solid gold tuna 1 can each maybe once every month or 2.

You can search online for sores for high quality stuff. That is how I found one really good store when I was feeding california natural only(cause my old girl had allergies)...unfortunately that store closed and I LOVED it. they had such a great selection of good brands and kept some on the shelf, but had cases still in the case to buy. Which is so much easier than having to take 36 or more cans off the shelf roflmao

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:09 pm

We give Chase canned food sometimes and he always gets the farts! LOL

AbbyGirl352
Super Bully

Postby AbbyGirl352 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Chasesdad wrote:We give Chase canned food sometimes and he always gets the farts! LOL

Dexter too, so he only gets in once a week or so, in his kong.

Chasesdad
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Chasesdad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:27 pm

He sure does love him some canned food tho. He never thinks about the consequences LOL

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 am

Some canned food is still better than no canned and yeah, cheap canned is better than high quality dry. I'd stick with what you're doing. You could increase the amount of canned food by lowering the quality and that might be better but stick with what you're doing now if you're happy and your cats are happy.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:36 am

buckaroo wrote:Some canned food is still better than no canned and yeah, cheap canned is better than high quality dry. I'd stick with what you're doing. You could increase the amount of canned food by lowering the quality and that might be better but stick with what you're doing now if you're happy and your cats are happy.

It's the ingredients in the cheaper canned cat food that give me pause. I wouldn't feed my dogs something with "meat by-product" in it, so why my cats? I think I'll just suck it up and pay more for a better quality canned.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:40 am

I feed Isaac canned food in addition to his dry kibble. I recently picked up a can of Tiki Dog Kauai Chicken and Prawns (In lobster consomme lol)... and let me tell you it's nearly cured my canned food phobia.

Yeah, whole shrimp, pieces of chicken, eggs, edamame, and kale. I was tempted.

and yes Isaac eats off plates.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:06 am

Lol GSD, my mom has those same plates! That tiki food does look pretty good for canned, I've fed my cat a couple flavors.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Dry is primarily corn gluten/wheat gluten/carbs/things dogs shouldn't really be eating (or people for that matter..) ..but a good dry food brand is healthy to feed (wellness core, etc). canned food can be equally as bad if it's a poor quality brand (pedigree, ol' roy, etc.). I have not had a problem with feeding hershey canned only (He eats Merrick canned).

Return to “Health Issues”