Health Precautions for the Beach

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
willyg44
Newborn Bully

Health Precautions for the Beach

Postby willyg44 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:02 pm

I hope this is the right section. Anyway, we are planning on bringing Leo to the beach tomorrow with us for the first time and we were wondering about a couple of things in order to keep him healthy and safe.

To get a couple things out of the way, Leo will be leashed at all times obviously with me on the other end of the leash keeping an eye on him. I would never let him off leash. The beach shouldn't be very populated at this time of year, but it is a public beach. Even during the summer, it never gets packed. I have read some sites about dogs getting heat-stroke when it's really hot on the beach, and not to over-exert them, along with other precautions to take while on the beach. I was wondering if some of you could share your opinions and experience on beaches!

Being that it's October and it should be in the mid-80s, I'm not sure if heat stroke is a big factor I should be concerned about? I was trying to look into a mini tent or something to keep him shaded and cool, does anyone have suggestions? It would have to be from a pet/sporting goods store that is popular, as I don't have time to order online. Also, we are bringing a cooler with lots of ice and bottles of water to keep him hydrated. Is there anything else I should do to keep him comfortable? We were hoping not to have to set up an umbrella.

Should I bring a couple treats for food or bring him a meal? We are planning on leaving from our place around 9AM (beach is 2 hours away) and leaving around 6PM.

Also a dumb question maybe, what if he needs to pee/poop? Do you let your dog do his business on the beach and just pick it up? Or should I walk him? What's the proper way to do that lol.

I think that's it. If there's anything else I should be taking into consideration about Leo's health on the beach, let me know thanks a bunch.

chako
Bully Ambassador

Re: Health Precautions for the Beach

Postby chako » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Heat stroke should not be a problem, but some shade/umbrella is good -- and you can let him go into the water to help cool off a bit. Try not to let him do any of his business on the beach. Take him for regular walks. IF he does have an "oops" and go on the beach, make sure you pick it up ALL AROUND (i.e, the mess AND as much as the sand beneath and around that you can).

I would bring some of his food with him but try to hold off feeding him until later in the day close to the time you're leaving...if he normally eats in the morning, just give him a snack. Let him have as much water as he likes. If he has white around his nose or thin fur, put some sunscreen around the top of his nose (and the edges of his ears, if need be)..

willyg44
Newborn Bully

Postby willyg44 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:37 pm

chako wrote:Heat stroke should not be a problem, but some shade/umbrella is good -- and you can let him go into the water to help cool off a bit. Try not to let him do any of his business on the beach. Take him for regular walks. IF he does have an "oops" and go on the beach, make sure you pick it up ALL AROUND (i.e, the mess AND as much as the sand beneath and around that you can).

I would bring some of his food with him but try to hold off feeding him until later in the day close to the time you're leaving...if he normally eats in the morning, just give him a snack. Let him have as much water as he likes. If he has white around his nose or thin fur, put some sunscreen around the top of his nose (and the edges of his ears, if need be)..

Thanks! As per sunscreen is there a special kind to use for dogs? I wasn't sure if the chemicals are safe for dogs that are in regular sunscreen.

chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby chako » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:03 pm

YES, they DO make sunscreen for dogs. You can use human sunscreen that is formulated for BABIES.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Make sure he doesn't drink or lick up too much salt water if you guys play in the water. Salt water can give him the runs or even make him throw up if it's the first time he has been exposed to it. We take Molly to the beach every so often but if it has been several months since the previous trip, we always walk her for about 30min before getting back in the car as she will sometimes throw up from having had too much salt water from playing fetch in the surf. Also, it's very likely he may ingest a bit of sand which will give him pale, crumbly poo the next day but he should be fine. Have fun and take lots of pics! :)

Return to “Health Issues”