Runty was attacked

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Re: Runty was attacked

Postby PITtsburgher » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your neighbor will get a better fitting collar :(

My advice is to take your baby to the vet and they will make sure she doesn't need stitches and give her some pain meds. Don't use human pain meds though - there are different ones for dogs and some of the human ones can be very toxic for dogs.

Hope she feels better soon!

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:55 am

The "hole in the shoulder"... how deep is it and how did you clean it? If you only cleaned the surface around the "hole" it might not be enough.A puncture wound, if that is what it is, should be flushed to avoid an abscess and infection. The dog might need antibiotics, can you take her to a vet? Vet bills should be paid by the neighbor.

ArdentWinter
Newborn Bully

Postby ArdentWinter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:09 am

X2

Red just posted instructions on how to clean a puncture wound. Check it out, maybe it can help if you havent been to the vet already.

Did the collar break or did the dog squirm its way out? I would definitely have a stern talking to with the neighbor while i handed the bill over. I hope your dog recovers well and fast.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:53 am

Also I would suggest against covering the wound. When I was bitten by my cat my doctor suggested not covering the wound (maybe it's only this way for cats) so my body could push out all the "bad". I would definitely talk with your neighbor, tell him you're taking your dog to the vet and expect him to pay for it. Then ask if he has any plans to get a better collar.

smilez
Newborn Bully

Postby smilez » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:47 am

same thing had happen to me. luckily our pup had a dog jersey on. When the other pit attacked it grabbed mostly from the shirt. She was more scared than injured.

Now that your pup was attacked she may be scared to confront other dogs. You should have her still interact with other dogs so that way she can feel comfortable meetings other dog and not attack when she sees another dog for pure defense.

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Glad to hear your pup is feeling better, and had the wound cleaned.
Has your neighbor offered to pay the bill, for what is an error on her part?

peachesmommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby peachesmommy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:09 pm

I agree you should take your dog in to have it checked over and have the neighbor pay for it. If you don't confront him it's going to keep happening over and over..and it might be your dog again or some other unsuspecting person walking by with their dog. Also you should speak with the neighbor to make sure his dog is UTD on all it's shots. That could be another risk if the dog isn't. I know if it was my dog I'd be raising heck to find out that shots are utd and taking my dog to the vet to make 100% sure she was ok. There could be more underlying injuries you're not noticing.

PITtsburgher
Matured Bully

Postby PITtsburgher » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:58 pm

The OP stated that they did take their dog to the vet.

Return to “Health Issues”