What if she's pregnant?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bullimom
Newborn Bully

What if she's pregnant?

Postby bullimom » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Hello, It's been a while since I've been on here. Been going crazy with school and work and the furbabies so I haven't had a chance to be on here. Good to be back though. I'll post some pics of the pups. they've gotten sooooooo big! For those of you who remember Hemi, he's a gigantic 85 lbs now! BUt down to the issue we're having. (Hope this is in the right section)

We took in a 32 lb rednose female last week. It's temporary while we look for a home for her (even though we'd love to be that home). Unfortunately it wouldn't be responsible of us to keep her permanently with 2 already plus the cat. Nick and I have been in her life since she was 6 weeks old and our 2 helped raised her, so we were the logical family for her to go to.Anyway, Venus is 1.5 years old and was accidently bred (the male busted through the crate to get to her) when she was with her previous owners. This was during her first heat (9months). The birth almost killed her. We have recently found out ( in the past couple days) that Rock, the male that got to her last time she was in heat (her 2nd heat), he got to her again about 4 weeks before we got her. Her owner was able to get him to let go of her but we're still concerned.

last time she got huge fast when she was pregnant. Would it be obvious by now if she was pregnant? She'd be at about 4-5 wks. We're still going to take her to the vet but I'm just wondering. Also, if she is pregnant is there any way to abort the puppies. I hate the idea of it but last time it almost killed her and I couldn't imagine doing that to her again. She's soooooo young and tiny. if she's not pregnant we're getting her spayed asap! We def believe in spaying! Too bad her previous owners didn't.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Re: What if she's pregnant?

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Most vets will do spay/aborts, I would start calling around and ask, it may cost a bit more but you can apply to pbrc and they will help with the vet bill. Since you don't know if she is or not I would just try to get her fixed asap.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:18 pm

She probably is pregnant and vets do spay/aborts all the time. They just spay the dog like usual -except the uterus has fetuses in it. It's a little riskier and a bit more expensive, because of all the extra blood in there - but if she almost died last time, it's not worth the risk to let her have the babies.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 pm

bullimom wrote:Also, if she is pregnant is there any way to abort the puppies. I hate the idea of it but last time it almost killed her and I couldn't imagine doing that to her again.

Aborting puppies is never a good feeling type of situation, at least for me, but unfortunately it is something to do when other screw up. Take her to the vet and see if she is pregnant and how far she is.If she is, and it is safe to abort, say good bye to the puppies and do it. Not only there is always the risk of complication during the delivery but finding good and forever homes for maybe 9 or more pit bull puppies is not a joke.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:39 am

If the dogs tied 4 weeks ago, she's probably pregnant. I would schedule the spay as quickly as possible because you are running out of time for a safe surgery. The larger the puppies the larger the arteries, and the harder the surgery.

Granted, I do c-sections that include a spay all the time and the dogs generally do just fine, but its still easier on the dog if the pups are smaller.

bullimom
Newborn Bully

Postby bullimom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks everyone! I talked to her vet today and he said he'd do it. I'm now trying to find assistance with the bills. Thanks to whoever gave me that group to get ahold of. I'm going to call them tomorrow morning. Her previous owners said they would try to pay for it as well so hopefully it will all work out. I'm looking at her though and i'm 90% sure she is pregnant. It' makes me sooooo mad to think about what she's been through and going to have to go through because of someone else's negligence. My female has been through 3 heats (she's being spayed before her next one) and not once has there even been a concern of her being "in a mad way."but Venus has only had 2 heats and has been pregnant 2 times now! it' awful! I'll keep you updated on her progress. Luckily i've got a friend that works at the animal hospital where her spay will happen so he's gonna stay with her and put her through under his name so it'll be a little cheaper. Crossing fingers it works out!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 pm

How much is the total bill going to be, including your friend's discount?

I am willing to chip, though it will only be able to be a little bit, if you are willing to give the vet's name and telephone number and your account number.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:26 pm

If you start a Chip In site for her, I can donate a little (although I have rescue bills of my own piling up!)

http://www.chipin.com

Good luck and I hope her spay goes well

bullimom
Newborn Bully

Postby bullimom » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Thank you so much everyone! That means a lot! The girl who gave her to us has offered to pay for her surgery. Our friend with the discount was able to give us a huge one so it's only gonna be $22 for her shots and $69 for her surgery! I couldn't believe it! Such a huge discount! I'll keep everyone updated on Venus' progress! I'll post pics soon! Can't remember how though so if someone could remind me that'd be great! Thanks again everyone! Good to know there are still people out there who love our breed and want to help them! :peace:

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:49 pm

That's great news!

bullimom
Newborn Bully

Postby bullimom » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:56 pm

DO have one question though. About how long do you think it'll take for her to slim back down after her surgery? and is there anything we can do to help her nipples shrink a little. they're almost 2 inches long. it's bad!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:07 pm

bullimom wrote:DO have one question though. About how long do you think it'll take for her to slim back down after her surgery? and is there anything we can do to help her nipples shrink a little. they're almost 2 inches long. it's bad!

Thumbelina recently weaned pups before I got her, and its been a month now and she's trimmed up a LOT... she's still got some nipplage, but it gets better every week. I've had her almost a month now, and she has 1/3 the boobage she had when I adopted her.

Return to “Health Issues”