Best and worst dog foods?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bessjerret
Newborn Bully

Best and worst dog foods?

Postby bessjerret » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Alright guys so the more people i meet the different types of dog food i see people swear by, so im curious to see what everyone on here thinks about dog foods. What I want to know is everyones favorite dog food and explain a bit as to why and the least favorite.. Pretty simple. I'll start.

My favorite which i lovee is The royal canin bulldog, it seems to give my pups plenty of energy and firm stool. My dogs always have pretty good coats but the royal canin really brings out the shine.
Now on the other hand my least favorite is the pedigree of any kind, I feel like it slows my dogs down they seem almost exhausted because of it, and not just my dogs i've seen it plenty and the stool is almost like a gamble you never know if it's gonna be firm or runny.

your turn!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Best and worst dog foods?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:28 pm

I don't like Pedigree, anything at wal-mart, or anything that costs less per pound than kitty litter.

I like Purina Pro Plan, Natural Balance, Wellness, Royal Canin, Blue Buffalo and I'm just trying out Holistic Selects, and my pups are doing well on it so far.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:41 pm

Worst: IAMs, Pedigree, Ol' Roy, Kibbles and Bits, Some Purina, Science Diet (i cant think of more but i know they exist!)

Faves: Acana, Fromm, Wellness, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance
Generally foods become favourites of mine due to the quality ingredients and tendencies toward food fit for human consumption or some variety of the 2. I stay away from anything with too much corn or fillers.

TrueDog
BANNED

Postby TrueDog » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Foods I have feed now
Taste of the wild, wellness (recently stopped feeding wellness, too much money)

Foods I fed that were good bang for your buck
Authority and Nutro max

Foods I regret feeding
Pedigree (lost my job) and Beneful (sp?)

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Worst: Alpo, Dollar General Brand, Gravy Train, Beneful, Kibbles & bits, Ol' Roy, Purina Dog Chow, Diamond, Science Diet, Retriever(I once opened a bag of it and it had actual pieces of raw corn in it! My Grandparents feed their dogs it), Pedigree, and IAMS.

Favorites: Diamond Naturals, Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo and Wellness.

We have feed our dogs crappy dog foods(such as Science Diet, Ol' Roy, Kibbles and Bits, Beneful, Diamond and Retriever dog food) and after researching and learning more about dog nutrition we switched them over to better dog foods(such as Chicken Soup for the Dog lover's Soul, Diamond Naturals and Taste of the Wild).

My dogs are on Taste of the Wild right now and they are doing great on it! They no longer have gas(which they did on Diamond Naturals) and they have nice, shiny coats and nice, firm poops.

Jen14
Newborn Bully

Postby Jen14 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:15 pm

My dog, Fern, has been on Innova for a month, and it seems to really agree with her. She loves eating it almost as much as any other treat, her coat is super shiny, she's at a good weight and has solid stool. Before this, she was eating California Natural, which I didn't think was great. Neither did she, I guess, because she was never excited to eat it and wouldn't take it as a treat. Her hair also started thinning after she'd been on it for awhile.

Reasons I've fed these two: our vet recommended California Natural as a transition food to ease her stomach into higher quality foods. Fern was a vagabond in a rural area eating who knows what before being fed a cheapish food at the shelter for awhile - I think it was Beneful, maybe. Innova is one of the cheapest high-quality foods that I can buy from a store within walking distance. (As a sidenote, I'm feeding Innova Holistic, not Innova Evo, which is super high protein.)

I'm excited to read other responses!

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:33 pm

I haaate Ol'Roy, and the other foods listed as bad by other members, but as far as bad dog food (from my experience, and just my opinion) Ol'Roy takes the cake.

My dogs are fed Taste of the Wild, they do great on it! Soft, shiny coat, firm stool and they look much better as well!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Jen14 wrote:My dog, Fern, has been on Innova for a month, and it seems to really agree with her. She loves eating it almost as much as any other treat, her coat is super shiny, she's at a good weight and has solid stool. Before this, she was eating California Natural, which I didn't think was great. Neither did she, I guess, because she was never excited to eat it and wouldn't take it as a treat. Her hair also started thinning after she'd been on it for awhile.

Reasons I've fed these two: our vet recommended California Natural as a transition food to ease her stomach into higher quality foods. Fern was a vagabond in a rural area eating who knows what before being fed a cheapish food at the shelter for awhile - I think it was Beneful, maybe. Innova is one of the cheapest high-quality foods that I can buy from a store within walking distance. (As a sidenote, I'm feeding Innova Holistic, not Innova Evo, which is super high protein.)

California Natural is a high quality food. It is made by the same company as Innova.

I fed raw now for Khan, but previously fed Natural Balance LID formula's.

My cats rotate around between Holistic select, wellness, and california natural. There are a few other brands I like, but it is becoming increasingly hard to find any store that carries stuff in bulk. I have 4 cats. So being able to get a few cases at once is what I need lol

Not too many I hate...whatever works best and people can afford is OK. I prefer high quality, but some people can't afford it.

Jen14
Newborn Bully

Postby Jen14 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:32 am

FBODGRL wrote:
Jen14 wrote:My dog, Fern, has been on Innova for a month, and it seems to really agree with her. She loves eating it almost as much as any other treat, her coat is super shiny, she's at a good weight and has solid stool. Before this, she was eating California Natural, which I didn't think was great. Neither did she, I guess, because she was never excited to eat it and wouldn't take it as a treat. Her hair also started thinning after she'd been on it for awhile.

California Natural is a high quality food. It is made by the same company as Innova.

I should probably clarify what I said; I didn't mean to imply that California Natural isn't a high quality food! From what I understand, California Natural is a great food with a simple ingredients list. It's good for animals with allergies, and (according to our vet) a good first introduction into higher quality foods that can upset a dog's stomach. Or it's great to feed any dog that likes it! I've read many good things about it. My dog just happened to not care for it, for some reason.

Also, if you go to the company's website (naturapet.com), there is an awesome $7 coupon for any of the dry dog foods (including CN, Innova, Evo, Healthwise, etc.)!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:45 am

Bad: Ol' Roy, Pedigree, Purina, Kibbles N Bits, pretty much anything you can buy at the grocery store.

Good: Diamond Naturals (I fed that for years), Blue Buffalo (fed it to Hoss and Umah for a while. It was great food, but just too expensive), Evo Red Meat (fed Gypsy a 30lb bag of it, and I *loved* it. They don't sell it locally, otherwise I'd probably have kept her on it), Taste of the Wild--

I'm currently feeding TOTW Pacific Stream. All of my dogs have such shiny, soft and healthy coats, I just can't stop looking at them lol Umah(GSD) has had issues with tummy upset in the past, and she ALWAYS had gas on the Diamond Naturals, no matter which formula I tried. She has NO gas, her stools are solid and healthy, and she looks better than she ever has.

Plus, all of the dogs love to eat it. Mexico(REZ mutt) is a picky eater, but since I switched her to the TOTW, she eats every kibble.

Marsha has very Shar Pei fur, bristly and coarse. Since I put her on TOTW, it feels like velvet.

bessjerret
Newborn Bully

Postby bessjerret » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:45 am

Also, if you go to the company's website (naturapet.com), there is an awesome $7 coupon for any of the dry dog foods (including CN, Innova, Evo, Healthwise, etc.)![/quote]

Thats good to know, thanks!

No one here uses the royal canin? I think i've been the only one to say I use it.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 am

Was all of Innova bought out by Proctor and Gamble or just EVO?

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:27 am

I think they bought the whole Natura company.

bessjerret
Newborn Bully

Postby bessjerret » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:28 am

Im not positive but I think just EVO.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:39 am

bessjerret wrote:Im not positive but I think just EVO.

Pretty sure they purchased everything, including their processing centers, research buildings, and everything.

Return to “Health Issues”