ACL Issues?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

ACL Issues?

Postby GSDBulldog » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Jack has me a bit worried.

I had him playing on the springpole a few days ago and when he went to jump (Only his front end came off the ground, it's set-up to be low), he screamed. My dog does not ever scream in pain (And he hurts himself a lot) so I put him up for the day.

I noticed the next day he wasn't carrying much weight on his rear left leg, but he wasn't necessarily limping. I didn't work him, just kept an eye on him. It continued for another day or so.

After a few days he went back to normal, and I tried to do a little work on the springpole. I noticed he didn't make an attempt to jump at all and wasn't as into it as usual. So again I put him up and just kept an eye on him.

Today I took him for a walk and he seems to be back to normal. But I have limited his exercise considerably (Which sucks because there is a show soon).

He has been working harder lately- I've started pulling him again and he has a sort of erratic pulling style I am trying to correct. But I'm worried this may be more than a case of over-worked muscles. :dunno:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Re: ACL Issues?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:31 am

Crap :(

ACL tears suck at the best of times but in a working dog it's a damn shame.

Typically, when we see at dog at the clinic who has torn the ligament, the case history is usually something like "dog yelped, was lame, then seemed to get better, now is on/off lame randomly".

I hope for his (and your!) sake that it's just a strain.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:35 am

Oh, no! Austin has been doing this too! I don't remember him yelping but he did fall off the steps and has been limping periodically. Maybe I should hurry up and get him pet insurance.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:07 am

hopefully it's just a strained muscle, or something tweaked a bit.
but my dog had intermittant lameness for a few months before being diagnosed with a crutiate tear :(

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Oh no! I hope it's not and Jack is back to his normal self soon. I'm afraid my dog fell into the intermittent limping category too before being diagnosed.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Ugh, seems to be a general consensus here. I am praying that it's nothing more than over-worked muscles, keeping him down kills him, and me.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:42 pm

It sucks, a lot, owning a dog with who should be going 100 mph and you have to keep them at about 5 mph.

I hope its not an ACL tear, good luck.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:55 pm

I did some light work with him today today, and was careful to warm him up properly. I kept an eye on him and no signs of him favoring any leg over the other. :dunno:

If it starts acting up again I'm going to have to take him in. I don't think I'm going to be pulling him this month at the show.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Hoping it's nothing serious!! :pray

We had similar issues with Stella, and she continues to have mild limping for a day after heavy exercise, but after being checked out they couldn't find anything wrong with her, so we have concluded it's sore muscles. :dunno:

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:26 pm

How is he today?

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:04 pm

I hope Jack is doing better and that it is just a pulled muscle. It's hard to keep an active dog quiet.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:52 pm

He's doing well but I haven't done anything beyond walking lately.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:06 am

If you suspect a cruciate tear then 2 weeks of restricted exercise is not going to do much if anything except maybe lower inflammation. The tear will never heal unless maybe you use stem cell therapy which is still a maybe. The body needs time to build scar tissue around the knee to support the torn ligament. That can take at least 8 weeks. If you really suspect a cruciate tear then 8 weeks of no exercise is going to be much better for the knee than 2. After 8 weeks if you see improvement you should still restrict movement to gentle activities for another 4-6 weeks. If you do not see improvement, a brace or some such might be in order to help the ligament stay intact.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 pm

lilangel wrote:If you suspect a cruciate tear then 2 weeks of restricted exercise is not going to do much if anything except maybe lower inflammation. The tear will never heal unless maybe you use stem cell therapy which is still a maybe. The body needs time to build scar tissue around the knee to support the torn ligament. That can take at least 8 weeks. If you really suspect a cruciate tear then 8 weeks of no exercise is going to be much better for the knee than 2. After 8 weeks if you see improvement you should still restrict movement to gentle activities for another 4-6 weeks. If you do not see improvement, a brace or some such might be in order to help the ligament stay intact.

x2

When Paco got a partial tear we went this route. My vet is a good friend who met us off the record and gave us this same advice. We were then able to re-instate Paco's then expired insurance policy and hold off surgery for two years after that (most insurance policies will only cover ACL if the policy is at least a year old) because the rest and scar tissue did their job. It's very strict "no exercise", though. Crate, tie-down, or leash at all times, absolutely no running or jumping.

Good luck!

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:30 pm

I had my vet examine him,

There has been no swelling nor signs of pain and he is back to his old self after a week of rest from extensive exercise. We're going to take it easier, of course. But I'm a bit relieved, keeping him rested is harder than keeping him worked.

Return to “Health Issues”