Parvo-cleaning-what to do

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBullGirl01
Newborn Bully

Parvo-cleaning-what to do

Postby PitBullGirl01 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Well, somehow my girl got parvo. She was still getting vaccinated and had several parvo vaccines, she was never allowed anywhere near other dogs, she never left my house or the 5ftX5ft run we built (connected to my house so she can go out the dog door to it). I don't know how or why she got it. Vet said possibly came in on my shoes from somewhere i walked and since no vaccine is 100% effective and she was only on her 3rd she caught it.
She went to the vet Monday and was given subQ fluids, her white blood cells were still normal
Yesterday (tuesday) she went in all day for IV fluids and supposedly only had diarrhea once.
Last night I saw her have a little diarrhea and she threw up as well. She seemed brighter this morning because I saw she had knocked down the gate I used to keep her in the kitchen and then she jumped on the sofa. She had thrown up on the sofa but she looked bright.
Dropped her off this morning and i got a call from the vet about an hour ago saying that she had bad diarrhea and that she shed a lot of her stomach lining. She's on IV fluids and she got more anti nausea drugs and such. They're testing her white blood cells now to see if they've gone lower.

The vet said she might need to be treated at an overnight clinic tonight and I don't think I can afford to do that. It would be 800.00 for the overnight stay and it's already been 800. She'd also need IV fluids tomorrow all day for another 300. She means the world to me but as much as I had a vet fund aside, I don't have 2000-3000 to spend for this. My two other dogs may also become ill the vet said, even though they've had vaccines, and the vet thinks one has valley fever.

It just seems like I can't get a break and I feel horrible for my baby--Lilly...

So I'm just waiting for the call from the vet with her test results and I'm cleaning the house. I bleached the whole kitchen but when it comes to the living room, i'm getting so overwhelmed and just wind up standing there wondering "what do I do first"...

I have two couches in there, one that was my grandmothers that needed to go back to my moms house (she has a dog there too) and the other couch was a 2500.00 sofa my aunt gave me that has throw up all over it now.

I'm moving out of state in 2-6 months (depending on a few things) and I do not want to bring this virus with me!

I can't bleach my clothes, I have hardly any white clothes. Most are black...

How do i eliminate parvo from my skin if bleach is the only thing to get rid of it... A shower won't work then, i would need to bleach my hands and such?

I can't bleach the couches because it will ruin them.

I'm afraid to bring the one couch to my mothers where it needs to go for fear I spread the virus there.

I'm thinking I'll just toss the expensive couch because its brown microfiber and will be impossible to clean... But how do I throw it away?

I am just so lost with what to do!!!

I have my mattresses which she hasn't touched but I could have touched her and then touched the mattresses... I have my bedding which can't be bleached, my pillows, my comforter, etc.

My living room is filled to the brim with boxes full of stuff (started packing for moving) and she may have touched those so I don't know if now everything inside the boxes are contaminated. I have a few cases of waterbottles on the floor that were waiting to go into the fridge as well and she may have touched them. I have bags of dog food (6 big bags) unopened in the living room she may have brushed up against...

Do I have to throw all of this stuff away now?

She's been in my car in a crate and I don't want to get rid of my car too.

I just don't know what to do. I feel so overwhelmed. It's just me here, boyfriend left to take a job in another state and I was supposed to follow in a couple months.

I feel like I can't ask my sister, mother, uncle or aunt for help because they'll wind up getting their dogs sick too and spreading the virus around their house. I feel like I'm a walking disease and no one can come near me.

Can someone give me some guidance... Please?!?

I bought bleach, mop, bucked, cleaning spray with bleach, lysol brand 2 cleaning wipes, lysol brand 3 spray. Everything i haven't been able to get with the bleach spray or bleach i've been lysoling.

My house smells so much of bleach and i'm sitting outside now to catch my breath. I still smell bleach. I have all the windows opened but it's not helping much.

*sigh* sorry for such a long post, i'm just really lost, scared, stressed, and confused.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Parvo-cleaning-what to do

Postby star_frances » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Some good advice here:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1764948/how_to_sanitize_a_home_after_canine.html?cat=70

Some vets sell disinfectant cleaners as well.

Good luck with your baby. I know it's hard - my Moira had parvo as a pup.

PitBullGirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBullGirl01 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Looks like she has piratically no white blood cells left after the second test was done. the vet called and she doesn't look good. I think we're going to have to have her put to sleep. My boyfriend is ignoring my calls and texts. He has to have the final call. I don't really know what to do right now. I'm literally all alone on this and he won't answer my calls...

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Yikes. :(

I don't have any advice to offer, but I'm so sorry to hear about this. Hang in there. :hug:

PitBullGirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBullGirl01 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks, I'm trying to. I just finally got in touch with him. He's thinking about what we should do. The vet said she's seen one other dog pull out of it when it was this bad but it requires 24 hour therapy for 4 days, odds are low, and it's 1000/day (700-800 overnight and 2-300 during the day) for 4 straight days.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

1:32 bleach and steam cleaning are effective against parvo. Make sure the bleach is fresh, it will go bad within 24 hours of dilution.

Your best bet is to hospitalize her and leave her there. Every time you take her home and then go back to the vet, you get a new exam, a new catheter... all these costs are doubling up. Yes, day one costs 300, but day 2 and every day after that should be 200... and you've had several "day 1" type charges...

Best of luck with your pup!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Here's an article with tips on decontaminating the home... and as long as there aren't any puppies for a year, you need not worry about your couches!

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... &SourceID=

PitBullGirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBullGirl01 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks.

So based on that article, it only takes 30 days in order to have all the indoor parvo virus killed?

I just worry about my other dogs too. They're vaccinated but even a vaccinated dog can get parvo.

I didn't want to have to keep them where the puppy has been for 6 months to a year.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:42 pm

PitBullGirl01 wrote:Thanks.

So based on that article, it only takes 30 days in order to have all the indoor parvo virus killed?

I just worry about my other dogs too. They're vaccinated but even a vaccinated dog can get parvo.

I didn't want to have to keep them where the puppy has been for 6 months to a year.

Do your best, and then just let it go... the problem with parvo is that it is EVERYWHERE...

Your biggest enemy is actually dirt. If you scrub those floors clean, there is nowhere for the virus to hide, and it will dry out and die. If there's a shady spot in the corner where poo splashed, then thats where the virus will hide, and in soil it can last up to 10 years. So therefore, its in your yard, its in the park, its in your neighbors yard, you cannot disinfect those places, so you just have to do the best you can do and call it good enough.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 am

Any update this morning?

Imanis_mommi
Adolescent Bully

Postby Imanis_mommi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:01 am

I have no advise to give you on this topic.. but I wish you and your pups the best and I pray she pulls through. My prayers are with you and yours.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Praying for you :hug:

PitBullGirl01
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBullGirl01 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks everyone. We had to have her put to sleep. Our vet said that if we could not afford to have her at an emergency vet at night for overnight IV fluids she would probably not make it. She also said that she has seen a dog in her condition make it but another that lasted 7 days at 1000 a day and die. She was looking worse and her white blood cells were gone.
I feel very lost. She was my favorite and was the BEST dog ive ever had. It's just been very depressing

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:34 am

I'm so sorry, that's just heartbreaking. :hug:

FriscoGirl
BANNED

Postby FriscoGirl » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:29 pm

most likely dead due to an incompetent vet, so sad.

Return to “Health Issues”