unlikely but possible rabies exposure

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
porchcricket13
Super Bully

unlikely but possible rabies exposure

Postby porchcricket13 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:36 am

Ok so I just let my dogs out and they either found a medium sized dead animal, or killed it themselves. Either way I don't own a flashlight to go see what it was and remove it from the yard. I have 2 questions.

Should I be bringing them in for a rabies booster now? Or can it wait til tomorrow when I go to work.

and, since JD is now pacing the room obsessively because he wants to go back outside, can I give him something to help him calm down? Or is that not a good idea cause it would mask any clinical signs of disease?

Not that I think they were really exposed to rabies, but it is possible.

I was also planning on sedating him to clip his nails, clean his ears and do his anal glands tomorrow, would that be a bad idea with the rabies vaccine?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: unlikely but possible rabies exposure

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:51 am

Get the animal, put it in your refrigerator, and have it sent in for rabies testing tomorrow.

Call your veterinarian to determine what rabies exposure procedures are for your state. It can vary greatly.

shelboriah
Matured Bully

Postby shelboriah » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:56 am

[quote="Misskiwi67"]Get the animal, put it in your refrigerator, and have it sent in for rabies testing tomorrow.
quote]

eew. i bet it's cold enough in new york to store it in your garage or somewhere outside instead of in your fridge! ;)

(at least that's what i do this time of year when my boys kill something and i don't feel like driving to the off-hours drop box in the middle of the night!)

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Wait... you don't own a flashlight?!? (I have prolly 6 or 8 !) And you touched a dead thing in the dark?

I very highly doubt anything they found had rabies. Were they actually eating it? Dogs roll in dead things all the time.

MissKiwi - "(at least that's what i do this time of year when my boys kill something and i don't feel like driving to the off-hours drop box in the middle of the night!)" << What is an off-hours drop box?

shelboriah
Matured Bully

Postby shelboriah » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:15 pm

HappyPuppy wrote: << What is an off-hours drop box?

that was me. :)

i don't know about other states, but here in ct, the state lab has a drop box for after-hours submission of rabies test subjects. it's a refrigerated receptacle underneath the lab in a very spooky corner of the parking area. (i'm a vet tech and we close long after the lab does, so when we drop off our samples, it's almost always after hours and it's always kind of a creepy experience- since my dogs only like to tangle with wild animals between the hours of 11:30pm and 4:30am, i choose not to drive into hartford and slink around abandoned parking lots at that hour. :) )

Return to “Health Issues”