My dog over preens!!! and other things!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

My dog over preens!!! and other things!

Postby arlene2010 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:06 pm

ever since he was a pup i could tell he was cat like when it came to being clean, but good lord! he'll do it til this day, and for 2 hours at a time, he has also chewed on his hind quarters since he had his first shots around 3 or 4 months. i give him weekly baths. his skin isnt dry, no skin allergies, and am worried the chewing on his legs is a bad sign, :aha: ...any ideas on why he might be over doing clean?

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Re: My dog over preens!!! and other things!

Postby arlene2010 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:09 pm

sorry that was supposed to be a worried smiley , didnt see the idea bulb til after posted

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:25 am

Dogs don't groom... your dog is itchy.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 am

i give him oatmeal baths, but maybe he needs more. would you recommend seeing what types of shampoo work best or?????

Lioness
Newborn Bully

Postby Lioness » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:15 am

Are you suuuure that he has no allergies? :) Just making sure.
It might have something to do with his diet, also.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:24 am

well he's never had skin breakouts or anything, or rashes. i feed him iams, a lady on here told me that theres a brand called diamond with better ingredients than what i'm feeding him, that might have something to do with it?

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:29 pm

I'd try him for a couple of months on a high quality food (just go for the best you can afford) and see if it improves. I have a hunch it could be a food allergy. The corn and wheat found in many foods are big allergens for a lot of dogs. Even a "mild" allergy that didn't cause hives or a majorly obvious reaction could still be making him itchy.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:32 pm

You might try California Natural, that's a good food for dogs with allergies, or Natural Balance. I would stay away from corn and wheat.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:00 pm

If money's tight feed Costco brand Kirkland dog food, it's a good feed.

Also, my male Arnold will obsessively lick as a stress reaction. Some dogs scratch under stress (seen most commonly by collar scratching as a way to avoid an obedience command) and some dogs do lick under stress.

I would check out both possible reasons. If the dog appears fine on the feed you are feeding I would address the dogs emotional state. How much exercise is he getting? Does he need more structure? How about when he's licking trade his fur for a nice frozen kong or antler or marrow bone, a healthy outlet for licking/chewing.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 pm

star_frances wrote:I'd try him for a couple of months on a high quality food (just go for the best you can afford) and see if it improves. I have a hunch it could be a food allergy. The corn and wheat found in many foods are big allergens for a lot of dogs. Even a "mild" allergy that didn't cause hives or a majorly obvious reaction could still be making him itchy.

Corn and wheat are #4 and 5 of the list of food allergens... Beef, Chicken/Eggs and Dairy are even more common. So if you want to avoid all possible allergens, no hot dogs, no cheese, no chew treats, no cat food, no countersurfing...

Also, food allergies make up less than 10% of total canine allergies, and are usually severe allergies rather than mild ones.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:41 pm

weekly baths will dry out his skin!!
Most dogs need only a bath a few times a yr!
If you strip his coat and skin of its natural oils with too much bathing, that alone could make him itchy!

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
star_frances wrote:I'd try him for a couple of months on a high quality food (just go for the best you can afford) and see if it improves. I have a hunch it could be a food allergy. The corn and wheat found in many foods are big allergens for a lot of dogs. Even a "mild" allergy that didn't cause hives or a majorly obvious reaction could still be making him itchy.

Corn and wheat are #4 and 5 of the list of food allergens... Beef, Chicken/Eggs and Dairy are even more common. So if you want to avoid all possible allergens, no hot dogs, no cheese, no chew treats, no cat food, no countersurfing...

Also, food allergies make up less than 10% of total canine allergies, and are usually severe allergies rather than mild ones.

so miss kiwi what u are saying is that food allergies are typically worse than mild, so what im getting from that is that he might not have food allergies just another source of allergy??? and to the poster who wanted to know about stress levels, my parents just moved so we have the house now, and brought him inside finally because he wasn't allowed in while they lived here. well he's been getting introuble alot and getting into stuff here and there, so i would assume his stress level is a lil up there due to adapting and learning from mistakes. when he was outside he didn't seem to lick or clean nearly as much as he does inside so that MIGHT have a lttle bit to do with it. he hasn't gotten all the exersize that he needs due to me being pregnant and staying indoors, my fiance and i take him on a wakl every other 3 days, which i know isn't enough. i've been mustering some indoor games for him, with the help from the rest of you great people on giving me game ideas. and he's been doing alot better compared to when i first brought him in, and hopefully we will make progress and figure this one out. i will try and search for some better feed for him on the net, and see where they are found the cheapest because we live kind of tight on money here.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:57 pm

and adrienne!!! that is a really good tester for depicting whether or not it's just bordom or a medical problem!!i have a couple antlers laying around! and i will try that, he would prolly love it! loves to chew on a challenge! lol. he dont like it when it goes away fast. my sister has an anlter for her am staff and he LOVES that thing!! i will get to the bottom of this because it makes me feel sad for him, he whimpers and does little whines when he licks for hours the whole time! i will let you guys know how this turns out and i'll get back with yall any others who would like to add anything else feel free!!!!!

THANKS ALOT!!! :peace: :hug: :goodpost:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:18 pm

He does seem pretty itchy to me based on your description, and food allergies just make dogs REALLY itchy... they may or may not have obvious secondary infections.

Doing a food trial would be one of the first recommendations regardless... just know that you have to be PERFECT and not let your dog get into anything for a full 3 months, no heartguard or other flavored medications either, so you'll have to get a non-flavored substitute from your vet. Its not something to be taken lightly and without full understanding.

If your dog has been "itchy" like this his whole life, he very well could be food allergic. Food allergies statistically show up more commonly in younger dogs, less than 18 months of age, but probably only more common because the other allergies (pollens, dusts, molds etc) show up starting at 2 years of age and make up the vast majority of allergic dogs.

Food trials are by far cheaper than allergy testing, but its NOT easier... you have to be extremely dedicated and the whole family has to be on board.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:19 am

I'd like to second Tima's observation about the baths--if you're bathing him every week, that alone could be the cause or at the very least be exacerbating his itchiness. Even if his skin doesn't look or feel dry, bathing that frequently might be pretty irritating to his skin. I'd ease off to bathing once a month at most (or even less often if you can get away with it) and maybe just rinsing him off with water in between baths if he gets into something. If he's spending most of his time indoors with the rest of the family, there's even less reason to bathe him on a weekly basis.

Once you've determined whether or not he's itchy because of food allergies, you may want to look into feeding him a higher quality food in general, such as Kirkland, as Adrianne recommended.

You'll actually get more bang for your buck with a higher grade food because you'll most likely end up feeding less of it. If you're bathing weekly because of that "doggy smell," you may find that switching to a higher quality food alleviates some of that odor.

My dog is bathed very infrequently (in fact I can't remember exactly when I bathed her last) and she has very little odor. She is 55 pounds, 10 years old, fairly active, and is on the Nature's Variety Prairie line of foods. She is fed about 2 cups a day, depending on her activity level that day, and a 30-pound bag lasts her a good while. Nature's Variety is arguably a bit pricey, but there are foods out there (like Kirkland) that you can try that won't break your bank and might suit your dog better than Iams. There are some good threads about food here, and also some pointers as far as what to look for on the label when picking out a food to try. If you end up trying other foods (give each one at least a month if not longer--try not switch through a bunch of foods in rapid succession, since that isn't going to tell you anything about how your dog is doing on a given food) and not being impressed with any, you can always go back to the Iams.

In any case, good luck with getting to the bottom of your pup's itchiness and please let us know how everything turns out. :)

Return to “Health Issues”