My dog over preens!!! and other things!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Re: My dog over preens!!! and other things!

Postby arlene2010 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:20 pm

rgyoung777 wrote:I'd like to second Tima's observation about the baths--if you're bathing him every week, that alone could be the cause or at the very least be exacerbating his itchiness. Even if his skin doesn't look or feel dry, bathing that frequently might be pretty irritating to his skin. I'd ease off to bathing once a month at most (or even less often if you can get away with it) and maybe just rinsing him off with water in between baths if he gets into something. If he's spending most of his time indoors with the rest of the family, there's even less reason to bathe him on a weekly basis.

Once you've determined whether or not he's itchy because of food allergies, you may want to look into feeding him a higher quality food in general, such as Kirkland, as Adrianne recommended.

You'll actually get more bang for your buck with a higher grade food because you'll most likely end up feeding less of it. If you're bathing weekly because of that "doggy smell," you may find that switching to a higher quality food alleviates some of that odor.

My dog is bathed very infrequently (in fact I can't remember exactly when I bathed her last) and she has very little odor. She is 55 pounds, 10 years old, fairly active, and is on the Nature's Variety Prairie line of foods. She is fed about 2 cups a day, depending on her activity level that day, and a 30-pound bag lasts her a good while. Nature's Variety is arguably a bit pricey, but there are foods out there (like Kirkland) that you can try that won't break your bank and might suit your dog better than Iams. There are some good threads about food here, and also some pointers as far as what to look for on the label when picking out a food to try. If you end up trying other foods (give each one at least a month if not longer--try not switch through a bunch of foods in rapid succession, since that isn't going to tell you anything about how your dog is doing on a given food) and not being impressed with any, you can always go back to the Iams.

In any case, good luck with getting to the bottom of your pup's itchiness and please let us know how everything turns out. :)

i've looked into the diamond kirkland, and the closest place to get it is about 40 miles away! :eek: , johnathan and i are riding a yamaha scooter back and forth to needed places and i'm thinkin frostbite would get us at this time of year riding that thing that far. i'm gonna check out some other dog foods around the area thats close that don't have by-product, corn or wheat as ingedients. when i went and bought his dog food this week they were out of iams so i had to get pedigree, and don't want to switch him this frequent. i think i'm gonna try to wait a couple weeks before i buy a different type of food, some of you said switching feed alot can do more harm than good for a dog? in the mean time i think it would be good to test trial and see if its boredom, and give him some things to chew on and more activity for him. adrianne recomended antlers and such because they don't dissapear as quickly as other dog toys. i agree! lol!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Good luck!

Honestly my dogs get bathed about twice a month and if they get messy it will be once a week. I have a small dirt and rock yard with puppies that play in poop and then come inside on my furniture and sleep in my bed. The second a dog feels yucky or smells yucky they get a bath here.

I think a lot of the bathing ruining coats was more factual prior to better bathing shampoos and conditioners.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Antlers are great... and probably low risk of allergy too... not sure on that one though...

I would definitely get your dog off pedigree as soon as you can without causing stomach upset. Thats the food my brothers new puppy came home with, and even snitching a few bites made him itch like crazy!!! He got his first skin infection in almost 2 years...

Can you give us a list of foods that are readily available in your area. Pet stores and farm stores usually have the best foods. They just opened a Theisens near me, and I was DROOLING with all the wonderful choices... in fact, I need to post a thread on which to try next....

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:42 pm

arlene2010 wrote:i've looked into the diamond kirkland, and the closest place to get it is about 40 miles away! :eek: , johnathan and i are riding a yamaha scooter back and forth to needed places and i'm thinkin frostbite would get us at this time of year riding that thing that far. i'm gonna check out some other dog foods around the area thats close that don't have by-product, corn or wheat as ingedients. when i went and bought his dog food this week they were out of iams so i had to get pedigree, and don't want to switch him this frequent. i think i'm gonna try to wait a couple weeks before i buy a different type of food, some of you said switching feed alot can do more harm than good for a dog? in the mean time i think it would be good to test trial and see if its boredom, and give him some things to chew on and more activity for him. adrianne recomended antlers and such because they don't dissapear as quickly as other dog toys. i agree! lol!

If it turns out that your dog doesn't have a food allergy, you still don't want to go through a lot of different foods in rapid succession because it is going to take time to see whether or not a food is actually helping your dog or not. Switch too quickly and you may miss signs of improvement in your dog.

Quick food switches can also cause upset stomach and loose stool in some cases, especially if a dog is acclimated to only one kind of food.

I totally understand not wanting to drive great distances to get food, especially if your main means of transportation is a yamaha and you're using it in the fall/winter. Ordering food online might be an option for you. You will have to pay shipping, of course, but it might mean you can get a large quantity (which usually comes with a volume discount at many vendors) of some really good food without having to brave the elements to get it. You could always look around online, see what fits your budget, order a 30# bag just to test out the food, and then go from there if it suits your dog.

Adrianne wrote:Honestly my dogs get bathed about twice a month and if they get messy it will be once a week. I have a small dirt and rock yard with puppies that play in poop and then come inside on my furniture and sleep in my bed. The second a dog feels yucky or smells yucky they get a bath here.

I think a lot of the bathing ruining coats was more factual prior to better bathing shampoos and conditioners.

Hey, if it's working for you, stick with it. Weekly baths might not be helping the OP's dog, though, and I'd say it'd be worth giving his skin and hair a break from all of that bathing if he's already itchy, you know?
Even the best shampoo/conditioner combo can't really compare to or replace the body oils which are stripped from the coat and skin when they are used. The same is true for people, too!
I bathe my dog infrequently because even when I use gentle products, she gets dandruff, regardless of whether or not I condition afterward. But yeah, when she's particularly stinky or filthy, it's bath time.
I think puppies are an exception my personal guidelines for infrequent bathing, since they can definitely get into some heinous stuff. lol

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Oh I understand, give it a month or two sans bathing along with toys to occupy the mouth and see if that helps. Also keep researching a better feed. You'll get to the bottom of this one way or another!

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:39 pm

i have checked out ordering dog food, don't have a bank card, BUT my mom reccomended putting money on a pre-paid visa and using that, directpetfood site has promo codes that knocks about 10 bucks off, so it would be saving money, i pay near 40 dollars for a 40 pound bag, and 20 for a 17 lbs bag as it is.

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Looking at petfooddirect, Iams seems to be only a few dollars cheaper than some of the "premium" foods so if you end up buying from them, a brand like Taste of the Wild or Nature's Variety Prairie might not end up straining your budget too much, especially when you consider that a 30# bag of one of those brands will last longer than the Iams. If you can work out a way to purchase online, you'll be all set. :thumbsup:

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:05 am

i have a question, would a no itch spray help him out while im in the process of all this changing around and stuff? it's a brand called gold's or somethin or other. been lookin for it all day and know i put it somewhere and should find it eventually, can't remember the whole brands name. but it's to soothe skin from itching therefore giving the dog a break.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:58 am

I am another frequent bather. Khan gets baths anywhere from weekly to monthly depending on the time of year and how his allergies are. I forget whose thread in the gallery I was responding to, but there were numerous "allergy dogs" that we all bath weekly for allergies, so it seems quite common. I know that was one of the recommendations my vet gave me. As long as it is a mild shampoo and they are being rinsed well it shouldn't cause trouble...but it also couldn't hurt to see if stopping them helps.

You can use benadryl for the itchiness, but the problem with that is it is a band-aid than a cure and if it helps, could mask whether what you are doing is helping. Salmon oil is a great supplement that helps with inflammation and allergies. Plus it is great for the coat.

Is it possible that someone could maybe give you a ride to the pet store every month or two? Then you could get enough food to last that long and not need to go back for a couple months. If you do a food trial it will take a while to see if the food is working and you don't want to switch around a bunch or too quickly.

Another thing to remember too is that while a higher quality food is more expensive you will generally be feeding much less because there are no fillers (like corn) in the food. So the cost kind of balances out in the end.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:56 am

And fewer vet bills! I bet you will be amazed at the difference it makes. Years ago, I used to feed Iams too, before I had heard about the better foods, and when I finally switched to a good food, my boxer quit licking her feet all the time and Susie quit getting yeasty ears, and their coats were much nicer.
You might want to try another shampoo too. I used regular oatmeal shampoo on Roscoe when he was a puppy, and it was too strong for him. The Earthbath puppy shampoo worked much better.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:06 pm

so i SHOULDN"T spray the no itch on him so that i can tell if what i'm doing for him is helping or staying the same?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:31 pm

No, the spray should be fine if it helps. The REAL test is if the problems come back again once you stop...

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:53 pm

I suggested Diamond Naturals, because I've always found it's available anywhere, but 40 miles away is a bit extreme lol

I bathe Cole, my pit bull, once every two weeks because he sleeps in bed with me now. I use a soap free formula that I bought for fairly cheap at a beauty supply store. The coconut cleanser is more gentle on the skin, and won't dry it out as much. In between baths when I notice he's getting grungy, I soak a rag in 1 part apple cider vinegar, 3 parts water, squeeze it out, and wipe him down. The vinegar helps with skin problems, and I like the way it smells. It's really not as complicated as I make it sound, I promise! Takes all of five minutes to wipe him down before bedtime.

arlene2010
Adolescent Bully

Postby arlene2010 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:15 am

back on track, had a scare with my pup. had an intestinal blockage, took him to beanblossom.Now i know that it's NOT only cooked chicken bones he can't eat....it's all cooked bone. so now i can continue the itchy trial. he's about out of his pedigree, might buy another small bag, to last a couple more weeks and switch his food hopefully after that.

maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:55 pm

i bathe every 2 weeks sometimes once a week. Not so much for the smell but he is all white and gets black within a few days of playing in my backyard. I have tried spray ons and wipes but they just don't work as well maybe I wasn't buying the good ones. I do feed a high quality kibble and salmon oil and his coat is nice and shiny no itching. I do realize it's more than recommended but luckily I haven't had any issues so far...

Return to “Health Issues”