Raccoon fight .. help please

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
~CaliBlueNation~
Newborn Bully

Raccoon fight .. help please

Postby ~CaliBlueNation~ » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:28 pm

Hi , my girl Sasha got into a scuffle with a Raccoon in my backyard last night. She's acting fine but has alot of scratches on her body . One big one on the face and alot of little ones by her chest/stomache. I used peroxide with the scratches and gave her a bath to wash off . I've had her vaccinated a few months ago , so im up to date on everything. Should I take her in again tmrw for another shot or am I OK ?

this is last night

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Re: Raccoon fight .. help please

Postby pacopoe » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:34 pm

I would worry less about the vacc's and more about infection. A friend's dogs scuffled with a raccoon a few months ago. Despite peroxide initially and *several* baths (my friend is uber-paranoid about her dogs), one wound created a swelled leg and a course of antibiotics.

Better safe than sorry, wild critters can carry nasty germs when angry lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:22 am

Vet... tomorrow morning.

Your dog will need antibiotics and a rabies vaccine bare minimum... quarrantine if your vaccinations are not up to date.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:14 am

What about cross-contamination?
If the raccoon was rabid and the dog tore into it - causing blood to get on the dog - what about the humans that handle the dog to clean it up?
If this happens to me, I will probably wear gloves. Does peroxide kill exposed viruses?

~CaliBlueNation~
Newborn Bully

Postby ~CaliBlueNation~ » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:45 am

from everything im reading online Im scared to death right now :eek:

I handled her without gloves all night. I even kissed her on the head a couple times i think ( didnt know better )

But I also read that a rabid Raccoon is usually slow and out of it . This one put up a good fight . Ive seen it before , its a big healthy looking guy. It comes from time to time to steal my avocados :po:

Going to vet 1st thing tomorrow

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 am

Good luck today. Hope Sasha and you will be A-OK.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

I thought I read that raccoons can carry rabies and not be "rabid" - they have their own strain. So, the coon can seem healthy and fit, but still spread the disease.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:39 pm

We had a cat attacked by a rabid when I was younger, the cat turned out just fine but was emotionally scarred for much of it's life after that. Our vet said it can be very traumatic and hurt a lot.

If you dog is UTD on shots I leaning towards she'll be fine with some antibiotics and pain killers.

Good luck, keep us updated!

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:I thought I read that raccoons can carry rabies and not be "rabid" - they have their own strain. So, the coon can seem healthy and fit, but still spread the disease.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

According to this site, the strain raccoons carry has a longer than average latent/incubation period where the affected animal is essentially asymptomatic but can spread the disease to other raccoons or animals it comes into contact with.

Calibluenation, I would take her in to the vet to treat any possible infection and to talk to him about the rabies exposure as well. You should also give your doctor a call about this for the sake of your own health.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:39 pm

misskiwi67"Your dog will need antibiotics and a rabies vaccine bare minimum... quarrantine if your vaccinations are not up to date."

Um they stated that they were up to date with vaccines ( just a few months ago). Why on earth would you have them re-vaccinate? Thats the worst advice Ive ever heard. Extra vaccination when already up to date will not offer any more protection and tax the immune system. You need to read the posts more carefully.

Yes you should go to the vet and have the wounds checked and get antibiotics.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Timas Mom wrote:misskiwi67"Your dog will need antibiotics and a rabies vaccine bare minimum... quarrantine if your vaccinations are not up to date."

Um they stated that they were up to date with vaccines ( just a few months ago). Why on earth would you have them re-vaccinate? Thats the worst advice Ive ever heard. Extra vaccination when already up to date will not offer any more protection and tax the immune system. You need to read the posts more carefully.

Yes you should go to the vet and have the wounds checked and get antibiotics.

Maybe because state law requires it??

The death risk with rabies is 100%... you don't mess with rabies, and you don't mess around with state laws.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Please don't make this personal... just because you don't LIKE my advice doesn't make it any less factual...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Here is Iowa law for a dog potentially exposed to a rabid animal... this is for Iowa only, and will vary from state to state, hence the need for you to see your veterinarian and follow their recommendations.

Essentially this says:
1) if the wild animal is not available for testing, you automatically assume it was rabid and your pet was exposed.
2) Unvaccinated exposed animals should be euthanized immediately - its GOOD that this dog was vaccinated recently!
3)Vaccinated pets should be vaccinated immediately and kept under observation for 45 days. This means no boarding, no public outings, no escaping the yard for 6 weeks. Lucky for you, this is NOT the strict quarrantine (ie, no human contact AT ALL) that would be required for an unvaccinated animal.

Everyone understand the importance of Rabies vaccination now? NEVER miss a rabies vaccine!!!!

5. POSTEXPOSURE MANAGEMENT: This section refers to any animal exposed (see Part I.A.1.) to a confirmed or suspected
rabid animal. Wild mammalian carnivores or bats that are not available or suitable for testing should be regarded as rabid animals.

(a) DOGS, CATS, AND FERRETS. Unvaccinated dogs, cats, and ferrets exposed to a rabid animal should be euthanized
immediately. If the owner is unwilling to have this done, the animal should be placed in strict isolation for 6 months.
Isolation in this context refers to confinement in an enclosure that precludes direct contact with people and other animals.

Rabies vaccine should be administered upon entry into isolation or 1 month prior to release to comply with preexposure vaccination recommendations (see Part I.B.1.a.). There are currently no USDA licensed biologics for postexposure prophylaxis of previously unvaccinated domestic animals, and there is evidence that the use of vaccine alone will not reliably prevent the disease in these animals (22). Animals overdue for a booster vaccination need to be evaluated on a case- by-case basis (e.g., severity of exposure, time elapsed since last vaccination, number of prior vaccinations, current health status, local rabies epidemiology). Dogs, cats, and ferrets that are currently vaccinated should be revaccinated immediately, kept under the owner’s control, and observed for 45 days. Any illness in an isolated or confined animal should be reported immediately to the local health department. If signs suggestive of rabies develop, the animal should be euthanized and the head shipped for testing as described in Part I.A.8.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Good job at finding the facts MissKiwi, Thank you. I had no idea about the required revaccinations. I don't believe we were required the same in Oregon with our cat but I was young and may just not have known.

OP-Any updates?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm not big on giving lots of vaccinations, but the risk of revaccinating and the risk of rabies are worlds apart.... I'd revaccinate if that is what is required.

Return to “Health Issues”