Hmm... choices

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Hmm... choices

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 pm

So Romeo is officially FAT... he's gained 5-7 pounds in the past 6 weeks, and I've managed to peel a pound and a half back off him the past 3 weeks by feeding half a cup twice a day. We both feel like he's starving, and he's getting into everything. Somethings gotta give, and its gonna be the dog food.

Two months ago we switched to Holistic Selects Duck because my favorite mom and pop store sells it, and it was a couple bucks cheaper than Natural balance. Unfortunately, there aren't any other foods at the mom and pop store I'm in a hurry to try, although I may go back to California Natural if one of these other options doesn't pan out.

So, Romeo is allergic to beef, known it for years, and it seems like thats the only thing he's allergic to, so I'm thinking of going to something other than duck.

There's a new Theisen's in town, and here are the 3 options I'm considering... which of these would you choose to get the BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK?? I'll decide to switch again or not based on how the pups are doing.

Natural Balance Duck and Potato: 51.99 for 30#
Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Potato Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
21% Protein, 10% Fat Kcal/cup not listed

Taste of the Wild: 42.99 for 30#
Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Protein: 32% Fat: 18% 370 kcal/cup

Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage : 36.99 for 28#
Note: The primitive natural formula is more enticing, but at 717 kcal/cup romeo will balloon!
Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Rye Flour, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Whitefish Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Peas, Spinach, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Magnesium Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, L-Carnitine, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Manganese Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Products.
Protein: 22% Fat: 12% 472 kcal/cup

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Re: Hmm... choices

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:45 pm

Taste of the Wild is excellent, and I am a huge fan of Earthborn. Either brand is good. The nice thing about TOTW is you can rotate the formulas. Earthborn makes a fish variety, but I have yet to try it, the only time the dogs get kibble is when they are tracking, or I forget to thaw out food.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Well, of the three you're looking at, I've only used TOTW. The last bag we had was the High Prairie one which you have listed but we feed Pacific Stream the most often which is lower in protein.

I just looked at the feeding guidelines on the TOTW site... I've been feeding TOTW for quite a while now so have adjusted Molly's feeding amounts to what keeps her at her best. Molly weighed in at 46.5lbs on the vet's scale last Thursday but 48lbs at the pet store scale about an hour later. Anyhow, she gets 0.75 – 1 cup per meal for a total of 1.5 – 2 cups/day. According to their chart, she should get 2.33 – 3 cups/day. I use a dry ingredient measuring cup for baking, not a random mug or scoop.

She can chunk out quickly on TOTW if I overfill the cup too often and have in the past changed out the measuring cup to a 1/2 cup because BF likes to double dip the cup to feed her (I think he secretly prefers thick dogs).

She seems to do fine being fed such a seemingly small amount but I do add a spoonful wet food (I need a mushy "base" for her mashed up joint supplement pills/probiotics) and she gets a kelp supplement mixed with water added to the mush and kibble. During walks, I bring treats and we do some obedience and pseudo-agility by the train station by my house so meal times are not the food opportunities for her.

We just started nosework too which uses food and "jackpot" method for rewarding so I may actually have to reduce her food even more as we progress.

What I'm trying to say with all this detail is that TOTW may not be the easiest choice for weight management if the actual amount of food in the bowl is an issue.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:29 pm

ummmm, perhaps the rest of you are missing the part that caught my eye... "We"???

...who is "we" ? :brow:

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:27 pm

I think the 'we' is her AND Romeo....but I, too, will await her reply. 8l

Wouldn't the bison in TOTW be (too?) close to beef? Ruby currently gets less than a cup of TOTW per meal....

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 pm

been feeding TOTW for about 5 months now and really liking it a lot. i've tried going back to california natural and other kibbles we've fed in the past, but TOTW has been making us pretty happy. as someone else mentioned, though, feed too much and the dogs get fat ... all 3 of mine eat .75 cup twice a day. so 1.5 cups total each day.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:07 pm

I like Earthborn, I feed their Primitive Natural formula (grain free) and like the higher calorie content.

But it's not going to help weight loss. TOTW is what I'd go with.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:15 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I think the 'we' is her AND Romeo....but I, too, will await her reply. 8l

Wouldn't the bison in TOTW be (too?) close to beef? Ruby currently gets less than a cup of TOTW per meal....

Yes, me and romeo, sadly... oh, and all my officemates who have had food stolen off their desks :eek:

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Hey, we're all pulling for you! Love is happy, love is good, MissKiwi is lovely, MissKiwi is good!!!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:35 pm

PitBull-Lady wrote:Hey, we're all pulling for you! Love is happy, love is good, MissKiwi is lovely, MissKiwi is good!!!

AWE!!! Thanks!! I'm leaning towards TOTW, more protein for a few extra bucks. Thumbelina eats more than double what Romeo does and you can still see every rib, so I expect I'm going to need a middle of the road food if I'm going to keep them both on the same food.

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:56 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:I'm leaning towards TOTW, more protein for a few extra bucks. Thumbelina eats more than double what Romeo does and you can still see every rib, so I expect I'm going to need a middle of the road food if I'm going to keep them both on the same food.

TOTW is the first thing I have found that consistently keeps Josie's ribs from sticking out. She never stops moving, and she is a bit under 50lbs. I give her 1 cup 2x a day, and that keeps her smoothed out - but still very lean.

I DID have to take my Akita off TOTW because he was gaining too much weight on it, and to prevent that, I was cutting his food back to an amount I didn't feel comfortable with. Not enough, and I was worried he was hungry at all times. I put him on Diamond Naturals, which I could feed him a larger amount of and keep his weight where I want it. It's much cheaper, too!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:52 pm

I don't know what it is with Roscoe, but I feed him almost three cups of food a day with Taste of the Wild, and he still looks too skinny. He's 46 pounds and I feed him as much as Austin, who weighs ten more pounds. I started giving him some canned food with his dinner and he's looking less scrawny now. His spine was starting to show and I was getting a bit worried. He is way more active than Austin is though, he would fetch tennis balls all day if you let him. I do try to rotate foods but I feed them Taste of the Wild the most, because I think it is the probably the best bang per buck.

FriscoGirl
BANNED

Postby FriscoGirl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:58 am

don't cut back feed to seek better shape, put your Nike's on and hit the road for a few hours day, work your way up to it. I tried TOTW and the dogs looked great but it brought sloppy poop due to higher protein. Nature's Variety worked much better here, lower protein, the recommended daily amount was right on as well.

$40 sack where I live

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 am

I used to always recommend Natural Balance, but I am not sure if they switched something in their forumlas or what and Khan just started having all kinds of allergy problems on it. I hadn't changed anything else and his food was always the same. I ended up switching him from the fish(which he did well on for quite a while to the bison) with no improvements.

Then I just went to raw lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:21 am

FriscoGirl wrote:
$40 sack where I live

I can't even order Nature's variety from the distributor for that cheap... if I could, I'd be using that instead!

Return to “Health Issues”