What is your favorite dog food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

What is your favorite dog food?

Postby gixxerific » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:37 am

Just wondering what your favorite is, bagged food that is. I had been using Pro Plan but have heard some not so good things about them lately. I would like to try the raw diet as a supplement but that is another thread since I am new to this.

Thanks,
Dono

MarMar
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: What is your favorite dog food?

Postby MarMar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:10 am

I really like Acana, by Champion Pet Foods. They have a ton of formulas, but I believe in the US you can only get the three grain-free formulas: Pacifica (Fish), Grasslands (Lamb) and Wild Prairie (Chicken). I think it's a pretty high quality dry food, much better than Pro Plan. I'm sure other people will also recommend brands they like :)

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:18 am

I absolutely love Taste of the Wild for a high end food, and for a middle range with no corn, soy, or byproducts I swear by Diamond Naturals.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:22 am

I love Pro Plan... fed it to my previous dog for many years. Its great middle of the road food, and I recommend it almost daily to clients feeding junk foods who aren't willing to pay $50 a bag for a super-premium.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:24 am

And just a note - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... /7/page/31

ProPlan gets the lowest ranking possible. In other words, it IS food, but it's also the worst food you can feed according to them. "We note the use of synthetic vitamin K, a substance linked to liver problems and that is progressively being removed from better quality products." Thank you so much for being open minded enough to educate yourself on dog foods. I'm sure as you dig deeper, you'll realize that the potential health risks associated with poor quality dog food isn't worth the few bucks you save (because really, you'll pay more than that at the vet office).

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:33 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:I love Pro Plan... fed it to my previous dog for many years. Its great middle of the road food, and I recommend it almost daily to clients feeding junk foods who aren't willing to pay $50 a bag for a super-premium.

Misskiwi this is not a personal attack on you, but I can't help but be cynical about vets who would blatantly ignore that there are better products out on the market that don't even come close to $50 a bag. I can't help but wonder if they promote poor quality canine nutrition so that they have repeat customers as the dog's health declines. Most businesses are all about the bottom line, and if it's happening in human health care, it's most definitely happening with our pets.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:06 pm

And you are promoting a website formed by a group of laypersons, who grade food on the basis of HYPE and conjecture...

The proof is in the pudding... My dog did better on Pro Plan than she did on premium foods. I will not tell anyone a food is better when their dog is doing worse.

Many nutritionists feed their dogs Purina Dog Chow... one of the best studied foods in existence, millions of dogs worldwide thrive on this food. Is it a great food for those who believe in whole food nutrition, absolutely not, but its still adequate nutrition, and better than half the home diets I've seen.

A bit of a news flash for you... ALL companies are in it for the money. Much of my nutrition education in veterinary school came from Naturapet, the makers of California Natural and Innova. They were the ONLY company that paid their student representatives... talk about kickbacks!!! If naturapet really cared about pets first, they wouldnt have sold out recently...

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks for the reply's but I'm staying out of this one for now. :tongue:

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:29 pm

just buy some chickens. :mmm:

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Our vet feeds Annamaet.
http://www.annamaet.com/dogs.php

We feed acana, wellness core and raw.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:17 pm

I have been feeding natural balance AVM which is okay but I have nothing but semi-soft stinky poop from 4 dogs in a small rock yard and that sucks. I looked today at a few feeds, debating my next buy since I am out and found I'll likely go back to blue buffalo grain free. I bought a few core cans of feed as well though, and solid gold. I looked for anything around or under 50 per 40 lbs and above 30% protein. Blue buffalo is the only one that fit my desires. I also feed half raw and our females eat half kirkland(diamond) which is the very best price for medium level feed. For some reason our females do much better on medium level feed than our males can.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:19 pm

This is a good topic! Just FYI Gixxer, there are several threads on this topic in the Health section too, for additional reading and debate.

Get thee hence! :run:

roflmao

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Double posting to add I feed my dogs TOTW.

Celesteandthebullies
Addicted to PBF

Postby Celesteandthebullies » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:25 pm

I feed my boy Taste Of The Wild; he absolutely loves it!(but then again he has never been a picky eater)
http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:28 pm

1/2 Orijen. 1/2 raw chicken n stuff
My dogs aren't gassy and have small poops that are not too soft and not too hard.

Return to “Health Issues”