What is your favorite dog food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: What is your favorite dog food?

Postby mtlu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:03 pm

My favorite dog food to feed Molly is one that consistently gives her firm poops, no gas and no random weight gain/loss when feeding the same amount all the time. :) There are a few brands I have tried that work well to varying degrees but since every dog is different (metabolism, potential allergy issues, energy levels, etc), I really hate recommending brands but am happy to share Molly's results on various foods that we have tried if asked.

There was a thread from a little while ago where people discussed what/why they feed kibble/raw/etc and I think threads like that discussing the reasoning of the choices is pretty helpful – more so than naming brands...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140232&start=0&hilit=what+do+you+feed

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:07 pm

Veronica is doing very well on Fromm's Four Star Nutritionals line of kibble.

We're very pleased with it; and believe it to be a decent quality food.

http://www.frommfamily.com/

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:09 pm

it really depends on the dog
right now brie is on fromm puppy which we really like and grendel is on natural balance which is ok.
Im debating about switching them both to acana or fromm adult once they both run out of their foods.
Although ToTW is a good option too.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:49 pm

mtlu wrote:My favorite dog food to feed Molly is one that consistently gives her firm poops, no gas and no random weight gain/loss when feeding the same amount all the time. :) There are a few brands I have tried that work well to varying degrees but since every dog is different (metabolism, potential allergy issues, energy levels, etc), I really hate recommending brands but am happy to share Molly's results on various foods that we have tried if asked.

There was a thread from a little while ago where people discussed what/why they feed kibble/raw/etc and I think threads like that discussing the reasoning of the choices is pretty helpful – more so than naming brands...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=140232&start=0&hilit=what+do+you+feed

Thanks Molly I will check it out I must have missed it. That is really what I am looking for info on good for you food not low food prices I know some of the stuff out there is crap and i might be better feeding her the shredded paper and cardboard I have rather than feeding my garden with it.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:07 pm

yum, the deer parts in that thread look yummy. mtlu I bet your dog had quite a good time eating that up!

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:And you are promoting a website formed by a group of laypersons, who grade food on the basis of HYPE and conjecture...

The proof is in the pudding... My dog did better on Pro Plan than she did on premium foods. I will not tell anyone a food is better when their dog is doing worse.

Many nutritionists feed their dogs Purina Dog Chow... one of the best studied foods in existence, millions of dogs worldwide thrive on this food. Is it a great food for those who believe in whole food nutrition, absolutely not, but its still adequate nutrition, and better than half the home diets I've seen.

A bit of a news flash for you... ALL companies are in it for the money. Much of my nutrition education in veterinary school came from Naturapet, the makers of California Natural and Innova. They were the ONLY company that paid their student representatives... talk about kickbacks!!! If naturapet really cared about pets first, they wouldnt have sold out recently...

I'd like to know what nutritionists you're talking of. I can't believe anyone who's spent that much time and money on specialized schools could ever think feeding a dog feathers, corn gluten, and toxic chemicals is a good idea. It reminds me to definitely do my home work, even if they have a fancy title tacked onto their name.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:17 pm

All 3 of mine on on TOTW and have been doing very well on it. I use wellness 95% canned because I'm not fond of TOTW canned foods.

rob32
Adolescent Bully

Postby rob32 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:21 pm

i feed my dogs purina one. ive got 3 dogs and they eat a lot so i dont really want to spend tons on a dog food. i know there is scientific data that says other dogs foods are better but its not like i eat alll organic foods myself. ive been feeding this food to dogs for years and my dogs RARELY see the vet.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:53 pm

doglove wrote:I'd like to know what nutritionists you're talking of. I can't believe anyone who's spent that much time and money on specialized schools could ever think feeding a dog feathers, corn gluten, and toxic chemicals is a good idea. It reminds me to definitely do my home work, even if they have a fancy title tacked onto their name.

The nutritionists on my veterinarian only message board. There is a thread there asking "what do you feed your dog" and the vast majority feed science diet or purina (many out of convenience since they can have it delivered to work), but there's a good mix with everything on up to raw diet feeders too. A lot more raw feeders in the cat vets...

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:02 pm

lilangel wrote:yum, the deer parts in that thread look yummy. mtlu I bet your dog had quite a good time eating that up!

I bet the deer parts were. I know a guy (somewhat he was a father on my 4 yr old soccer team) he had 2 probably soon to be champion Old English Bulldogs that looked wonderful and I mean wonderful :thumbsup: . they were fed a mostly if not all raw diet and a lot of that was deer from his hunting. Right now I wish I had his number, I know they have a website for their dogs but I can't find it. :po:

I know a LOT of hunters. :aha: It is that season right now. :aha:

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
doglove wrote:I'd like to know what nutritionists you're talking of. I can't believe anyone who's spent that much time and money on specialized schools could ever think feeding a dog feathers, corn gluten, and toxic chemicals is a good idea. It reminds me to definitely do my home work, even if they have a fancy title tacked onto their name.

The nutritionists on my veterinarian only message board. There is a thread there asking "what do you feed your dog" and the vast majority feed science diet or purina (many out of convenience since they can have it delivered to work), but there's a good mix with everything on up to raw diet feeders too. A lot more raw feeders in the cat vets...
Do you buy your pet food at the store or can you get a discount through your clinic?

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:03 pm

I feed my girls (twelve year old Shiba Inu, Suki, and four year old Rat Terrier mix, Matilda) Orijen senior and they do fantastic on it. The only thing that does`t do so fantastic with Orijen is the wallet :lol: I feed them raw beef on the bone usually once a week in addition.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:03 pm

Adrianne wrote:Do you buy your pet food at the store or can you get a discount through your clinic?

Both. I can order a number of foods from RFG distributors through the clinic, but I have to pay the clinic 20% for the effort of unloading the truck. By the time I pay the clinic the 20%, it evens out to the same price-ish of the pet stores with higher volume sales, so for convenience, I will buy from the pet store instead.

Things like Zukes treats with higher mark-ups, those I order through work. I pay 7.00 for a 1# bag of Zukes training treats, but they are 15.00 at petco.

I buy all my treats and toys from a local mom&pop store because they have the coolest toys EVER and I like supporting small businesses that take the time to find and stock the neat brain stimulating toys my dogs love.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm a chronic dog food switcher. WE rotate through different brands depending on my mood. lol Not good persay but my dogs handle it just fine.

I use GO! Naturals Endurance, Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato, TOTW, Canidae Grain Free and a few others.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:15 pm

raw for 2 dogs.
3rd new one gets evangers whitefish and sweet potato ( but its more a fish,swt potato, venison and rye diet) shes allergic to chicken.

Return to “Health Issues”