What is your favorite dog food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: What is your favorite dog food?

Postby XDogs » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:21 pm

I am starting to think that "what do you feed your dog" is starting to fall into "who do you vote for" territory.
I do believe that different dogs do well on different diets. A friend of mine has a rescue Dane that would not put weight on for anything. He looked like Skeletor on a variety of diets (and I mean: no muscle mass, spine sticking out type skinny..not "fit") and she went all over the place to find something that works for him. At some point, she was short on a paycheck and had recently moved... so she grabbed Purina Dog Chow, held back the urge to vomit and fed it to the Dane. By the end of the bag, he was putting on weight. He is looking like the picture of health at this point. It's really ridiculous, but Purina Dog Chow did what nothing else could for him.

Does it mean that I am going to run out and buy PDC? Not so much. But it put a different prespective on things for me.
I like to feed Nature's Variety. One of the few diets that I have had no problems transitioning to. Within a day, farty dogs have had no gas, burpy dogs stopped burping and soft stools have firmed up. I am currently feeding Dog Lover's Gold, however. They were selling the bags for dirt-cheap at an agility trial and I have not had major problems.. so I'll stick with it for a while (more of a money decision at the moment). My fall-back is Nature's Variety, though.

I have not bought anything that costs more than $55.00 a bag (30 lbs). I have to draw the line somewhere when I buy a bag a week. I know some people buy even more expensive food.. but that is my personal limit at this time.

As far as veterinary diets (ie: Science and Pro Plan) go, I have a bit of a hang up with them. Just recently went to a CE seminar that was sponsored by SD and as always, the awesomeness of corn as first ingredient was touted. I just can't buy it. When I look at one of the cheapest grocery store foods and compare the label to some of the SD foods.. and really see no difference... I can figure out all by myself that the mark up for SD is outrageous. Yes, a lot of the mark-up goes into the amount of research they do... but don't try to tell me how awesome it is to feed a completely corn based diet.. to a dog. I do think that it is telling that more and more veterinarians will feed high protein foods to their cats, but will stick with the S/D drill for dogs. Yes, cats are obligate carnivores, but dogs don't exactly raid the corn fields for dinner, either.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Yes, cats are obligate carnivores, but dogs don't exactly raid the corn fields for dinner, either

roflmao I use this rationale ALL the time. I have yet to find a stray dog eating corn in a corn field, but I HAVE found them eating all kinds of other things :wow

I feed By Nature (Duck and Sweet Peas) My dogs do really well on it and I've tried many brands touted as better (though it is, by the website posted earlier, a 4 star food) They seem to do best on this, so I stick with it. Mysti's tricky as she has food intolerance issues as well as malformed kidneys, so I have to watch her protein intake, the 28% in the By Nature is as high as I like to go with her. No gas, no itching, nice stools, good muscle tone, neither of them look their age at all.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:43 pm

XDogs wrote: but dogs don't exactly raid the corn fields for dinner, either.

Maybe yours don't... but mine do!! (Note the Iowa state of residency) They also quite enjoy spilled soybeans at harvest time too...

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:48 pm

My dogs have done the best on Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice and Taste of the Wild so those are my favorite brands for my dogs.

They eat Taste of the Wild right now and are doing really good on it. On Diamond Naturals, they had bad gas and their poop was sort of mushy. On Taste of the Wild, their poop looks great and they no longer have gas.

CuriousMoves
Adolescent Bully

Postby CuriousMoves » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I could have SWORN I replied to this just now..but I guess my message disapeared??? Huh. Oh well, writing again :)

I rotate my dogs' diets as well. There has only been a handful of foods they haven't done well on. One was Instinct Rabbit formula, they both puked it all over my bedroom floor. Not pretty. They do fine on the other Instinct varieties however. Riley didn't do well on Lifetime Chicken/Oatmeal (it was ok..but GIGANTIC poops. Wasn't a fan of that). He also had chronic ear infections on Purina products, and Summit 3meat variety. He was fine on the Holistic varities of Summit.

We have tried Orijen, Nature's Variety, Canine Plus Wholesome Blend, Royal Canin, TOTW, Wellness, Eagle, Go!, Summit, Now!, Holistic Blend, Merrick, Fromm, Proseries Holistic, and Natural Balance.

Right now we are rotating through the Natural Balance LID formulas, just to give them a try. I like to stick with Nature's Variety, Holistic Blend, Orijen, and Go!. My dogs do best on these brands. They also get some canned food occasionally, as well as a raw meal every morning.

Amstaffguy
Newborn Bully

Postby Amstaffguy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:31 pm

I've found mine have done the best on Eagle Pack power formula,but i only feed it a a supplement to raw foods.

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:42 pm

XDogs wrote:I am starting to think that "what do you feed your dog" is starting to fall into "who do you vote for" territory.

Yuppers. I've gotten to the point where I just say "food" and leave it at that. lol

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:

Maybe yours don't... but mine do!! (Note the Iowa state of residency) They also quite enjoy spilled soybeans at harvest time too...

Isn't corn cob a large danger if consumed?

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah, just ask Bruno's Mom what she thinks about corn cobs.
I try to rotate food often, although I feed Taste of the Wild the most, and I've kept Susie on Wellness for quite a while now, and just rotate between the varieties. They're eating Nature's Variety right now, and seem to really like it. They get all excited when they get a new kind of food. :mmm:

XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby XDogs » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:14 pm

Adrianne wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:

Isn't corn cob a large danger if consumed?

LOL.. I was thinking the same thing, but then I figured I'll leave it to the vet to perform corn cob removals on their own dogs ;)
Seriously, though.. as you (hopefully) know quite well, Kiwi, dogs aren't actually able to derive nutritious value from unprocessed corn. Which is my point when I speak of raiding the corn field.
To each their own, but SD is not about to win me over with their yummy food at the CE seminars. I am just there for the CE hours :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:25 pm

XDogs wrote:LOL.. I was thinking the same thing, but then I figured I'll leave it to the vet to perform corn cob removals on their own dogs ;)
Seriously, though.. as you (hopefully) know quite well, Kiwi, dogs aren't actually able to derive nutritious value from unprocessed corn. Which is my point when I speak of raiding the corn field.
To each their own, but SD is not about to win me over with their yummy food at the CE seminars. I am just there for the CE hours :)

Righto... whole corn/soybean kernals don't have any nutritional value because the digestive system can't digest the protective shell... however, just like people, if they chew it a bit, there is nutritional value there.

The dogs will actually pick up a cob out of the field and chew the kernels off it.

They have no interest in soybeans unless they've been harvested and are spilled.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm

My dogs would raid and devour an entire garden if they were given access. :) They love all things fruit and veggie.
On T.V., I've seen wolves raid grape vineyards. I've never talked to any corn farmers to see who raids their crops.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:15 pm

Well this has turned out to be interesting. So I suppose I will get what I get and go from there finding out what works best for my daughter.

Maybe I should have labeled this thread "what should I definitely NOT feed my dog"! Than I might have fewer choices. :wow

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:41 pm

lilangel wrote:yum, the deer parts in that thread look yummy. mtlu I bet your dog had quite a good time eating that up!

I wish I could take credit for being so dedicated to my dog but that was kaytenmags lovely handiwork :mmm:

gixxerific wrote:So I suppose I will get what I get and go from there finding out what works best for my daughter.

IMO, it's all about learning what you can as you go along. I have my mindset right now about certain kibbles but I'm sure all that will change when Molly gets older and I have to learn about what works best for senior dogs (she's only about 4 yrs old right now). I flirt with the idea of raw and read what I can to try to understand it even though I'm not ready to dive into it.

rob32
Adolescent Bully

Postby rob32 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:42 pm

gixxerific wrote:Well this has turned out to be interesting. So I suppose I will get what I get and go from there finding out what works best for my daughter.

Maybe I should have labeled this thread "what should I definitely NOT feed my dog"! Than I might have fewer choices. :wow

man i have fed dogs all kinds of cheap stuff when i was younger and couldnt afford premium. out of all the foods ive used the only one i wouldnt feed a dog is ol roy. ive had no problems with any other food.

Return to “Health Issues”