how often do you bath your dogs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

how often do you bath your dogs?

Postby starrlamia » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:13 am

Im curious as to how often people bath their dogs..
Brie has very very mild allergies and grendel mild allergies but mostly they are not that itchy.
I give them baths when they are dirty (brie likes to lay down in mud puddles) but not on a regular basis. im curious if people bath their dogs even when they arent visibly covered in mud and junk? Do you have a schedule?
Did a google search and it was all over the place, saying it varied by coat type, climate, indoor/outdoor etc. Some people regularily bath their dogs every week up to a couple times a year only.
Brie has a longer coat then grendel, it is much like a pugs, yet her appearance is much more of a BT so I dunno if that makes a difference.

ArdentWinter
Newborn Bully

Re: how often do you bath your dogs?

Postby ArdentWinter » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:33 am

I havent bathed my dog in over 4 months. She does have a slight doggy smell ( i asked a neighbor) when you put her fur right under your nose. Ty isnt the kind of dog to splash through puddles, run through bushes and lay on the ground. The most i do is whipe her down with a doggy towel. I will be putting her in a bath tomorrow simply because i have company coming over, otherwise she wouldnt be getting bathed.

I wasnt able to do this before i switched her over to Taste of the wild ( not hyping the brand up, just stating a fact) so i do believe her diet has something to do with it. Previous to it i was bathing as frequently as 3-4 times a month depending on how bad she started to smell.

This is a good question. I am eager to see how often people bathe their dogs as my mom seems to think i'm disgusting for not putting my dog in the bath every week any more lol

P.S. i do wash paws as soon as we enter the house with a wet warm cloth but thats all. Oh, and doggy bed coverings get washed 1-2x a week I dont really know what to compare the thickness of her fur to as i dont pet many dogs. Sorry.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:05 am

Liberty has had one bath in a year-and-a-half - after she rolled in something gross on a walk.

I don't think Oscar has had a bath in that time.

I also don't think either dog smells, they don't have skin conditions, and they are very healthy.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:19 am

I bathe my dogs every few months. They go longer in between baths in the cooler months; slightly more often in summer since they spend more time outside and there's greater opportunity for getting dirty/smelly.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:22 am

Each dog has their own furr 'formula' so to speak. One is more oily, more dry etc.

If one is dirty, most likely they are all dirty as they have rolled in the same leaf pile etc.

Capone gets a line of "dirt" on the fold of his weenus and I can't stand it. So I make sure he gets a bit cleaner.

I'd say about every month or month and a half for all.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:22 am

My guys get a bath every couple/few weeks. They definitely get a "doggy odour" which I hate so into the tub they go. One of my pet peeves is petting a dog at work and they having to go immediately to scrub my hands and arms because the dog is rank.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 am

mine get a bath every other week.. mainly because they have killed 70% of the grass in the back yard and love to roll in the dirt.. when i pet them and my hand gets dirty and smelly I know its time for a bath lol

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:02 am

Lala had a few baths this fall when we were battling her flea allergies. Moira hasn't had a bath in months. I don't like washing off their warm corn chip smell, it helps me fall asleep at night. :oops:

When I do bath them, I use Dr Bronner's Baby Mild, it does a lovely job.

KittyNyanNyan
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby KittyNyanNyan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:30 am

Cody hasn't had a bath in about 6 months. Maybelle gets one every month or so due to her allergies.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:46 am

I bathe my dogs very often, if not every week it's at least every other week. I use a good quality mild shampoo and their coat couldn't be better. Shiny, no dandruff, no skin issues,.. Well except Brina's grass allery that acts up every once in a while, mostly in spring and summer, but even that is manageable with baths. I keep them clean mostly because they can go onto furniture and Brina sleeps in my bed. When it's muddy outside i shower their paws and belly with water after every walk so i don't have dirt all over the place. So yeah, they are clean :D

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:58 am

I try to brush everyone each week. They get baths on an as needed basis.

Except everyone gets brushed and bathed prior to leaving for competitions - I want them to be clean and not have any excess fur when we stay in hotels.

oh but after wrestling Hank Nibbler in the tub for the first 4 year of his life, we have a deal. He gets brushed and then wiped down with a damp cloth with some doggie "between bath" spray on it. If he swims in the bay or gets muddy, we got to a pay place with double collar restraints.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Not very often. Couldn't really say exactly how often. Every few months or so, I guess. I used to be diligent about bathing them before we were going to be staying in a motel, but I've gotten lazy about that. :oops: Pirate is 9 months, and I think he's only had one bath. He'll have another in a couple weeks, he's entered in a show.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19 pm

More in the summertime when they get all muddy after swimming, but usually not very often. I actually think they usually smell pretty good, or maybe I just have permanent olfactory fatigue. ;)

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Depending on how filthy they get, we average 2 weeks.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Depends on the dogs and how dirty they get. Usually once every 8 weeks.

Return to “Health Issues”