good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 pm

wanting to do some track training in the house, and some keep the eyes on mommy training to get him more focused and calm. anyone have any pointers? he loves treats, but since his last vet visit last saturday i'm paranoid about giving him ANY kind of food relating to human food. i've cut him off completely of people food, which he never even got that much at all before. only about a morsel of what i was eating that i would give him AFTER i ate. but don't want to take any chances like that anymore, and the fact that he would start to get rude as if the food was meant for him. lol! he's starting to realize the eyes are not getting him anywhere now.

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:41 am

I'm a little confused...do you mean raw as in raw meat type treats?

For training I really like Zukes mini's. Perfect size for them to eat while training. Wheat and corn free. Plus they are moist, small and don't fall apart. I use the salmon because of allergies, but my mom has used the other kind with no problems too.

http://www.zukes.com/woof/mini-naturals.html

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:41 am

well i've seen trainers on here recommend to give treats of raw meat, about pea sized.

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:56 am

sure you can. My dog is on a raw diet.

I was just confused by you saying you didn't want to give human food lol

User avatar
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1721
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:31 am
Location: Wentzville, MO

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby gixxerific » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 pm

Since we are here what kinds of raw meat are good for dogs. Like would chicken be bad, or do you want to stay with more beef, pork, wildlife type foods.

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:01 pm

gixxerific wrote:Since we are here what kinds of raw meat are good for dogs. Like would chicken be bad, or do you want to stay with more beef, pork, wildlife type foods.


i am going to look some up and put a list up here for everyone, give me twenty!! this will help me too along with others than scan through these threads!!! 8) :thumbsup:

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:23 pm

•Grains such as corn, wheat, and soy, commonly found in commercial foods, are major causes of allergies in dogs.

Feed your dog chicken (bone-in), beef roasts and ribs, pork ribs, pork shoulder roasts, turkey quarters, fish, leg of lamb, venison, rabbit and other game. Nothing else. No vegetables, no fruit, no grains. Raw feeders advocate about 10% of the diet should consist of bone and the rest meat, including a small portion of organ meat such as liver, kidney and heart. A good rule of thumb is to feed your dog about 2% of his body weight daily.

Avoid feeding your dog cut bones like pork country style ribs, bone-in chuck roast or bone-in steaks, pork chops, or other meats with sharp, thinly sliced blades of bone.

anyone have any other things to add post em!!!!!

User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:27 pm

So, just to step back.

What are the ingredients causing stomach problems? And what specific "people foods" is making your vet so concerned?

LMW

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:28 pm

some might not apply to dogs with allergies to some of these meats. i'm thinkin though that proccessed meats are what causes allergies. which is in commercial dog feed. is feeding a raw diet cheaper than paying 38 bucks every two and a half weeks?????

also trying to answer my post, i could feed my dog any of these listed meats as treats????

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:34 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:So, just to step back.

What are the ingredients causing stomach problems? And what specific "people foods" is making your vet so concerned?

LMW



i'm thinking that the grains in his dog feed corn wheat etc is what is making him itch really bad. they aren't upsetting his stomach, i just took him to the vet over an intestinal blockage and am just trying to take precautions so that type of thing won't happen again. i'd say i'm uneducated when it comes to what shouldn't be put into my dogs mouth. he went to the vet because i gave him cooked pork ribs, i've always thought it was just chicken bones that you don't feed dogs, and now i know different. just wanting to know if there are any other foods or treats that i should avoid or ones i should favor???

User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby El_EmDubya » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:10 pm

arlene2010 wrote:some might not apply to dogs with allergies to some of these meats. i'm thinkin though that proccessed meats are what causes allergies. which is in commercial dog feed. is feeding a raw diet cheaper than paying 38 bucks every two and a half weeks?????


Yes, you can feed Raw for under $1/day, but it will take work. Read the BARF 101 thread. Print it out and use a highlighter to separate the wheat from the chaff. Then read it again.

If your dog is having food allergies, it is likely that a raw diet will allow you to more easily diagnose the culprit(s) causing the itching, redness, and other symptoms. Once those factors are identified, you may then decide to feed a pre-made food, or to continue with Raw.

However, feeding raw is not something you should take lightly. The main reason vets don't want you to feed raw is because of those who don't pay attention to the rules (no cooked bones, for instance) can end up with BIG problems.

While there are many recipes for feeding raw, it is, in reality, a custom diet, specific to your dog's age, structure, health issues, and lifestyle. It is a steep learning curve, but will teach you a lot about food, and not just your dog's food.

arlene2010 wrote:also trying to answer my post, i could feed my dog any of these listed meats as treats????


I wouldn't feed raw for treats because your hands will be touching them and treating a dog can get very messy. I like Mozzarella sticks as one is a good size for a 10-20 min training session. And if you play games like "Find the Heel", the small 1/2in x 1/2 in chunks are easily visible when tossed and they are low fat. However, I do use cooked steak for high value treats, but I don't particularly like it because my hands get very greasy.

LMW

User avatar
GoingPostal
Forum Junky
Posts: 3055
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: MN

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby GoingPostal » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:35 pm

Natural Balance (I think) makes treat rolls in various flavors that can be chopped into tiny pieces for treating, we use those a lot as a higher value goodie. I use veggies like carrots and green beans too but not all dogs like those.

User avatar
chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby chelsea00133 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:34 pm

First off, "human food" isn't bad to give dogs. Yes, of course there are several specific foods that are dangerous for dogs (chocolate, cooked bones, grapes, etc) but giving your dog a bit of cooked meat, veggies, fruit, cheese, etc, is perfectly fine.

My dog has serious allergy issues, I've been dealing with them all his life(and they are getting worse as he gets older). I feed raw, he has been on it for about 5 years now. Raw diet has helped his allergies, but not eliminated them. For some dogs it may "cure" them completly, others it may not.

Food allergies aren't usually the cause of allergies in dogs in most cases. The majority of allergies in dogs are environmental/contact allergies (trees, grass, pollen, dust, mold, etc) Not saying that it can't be food allergies, but enviromental allergies are very likely. Have you done an elimination diet?

For training treats, these are some of the things I use-
Meat, any kind, cooked or raw (both, I like to mix things up so he never knows what he is going to get)
- Chicken, steak, beef heart (one of his favorites. I chop it up into small chunks, fry them with a tiny bit of garlic, then bake them) pork, goat.
Cheese. A big block of cheese will last you forever, just cut it up into tiny, pea sized bites. String cheese works very well also.
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
Cooked veggies (broccoli, carrots, green beans)
Cream cheese

User avatar
AllisonPitbullLvr
Moderator
Posts: 7006
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:21 am
Location: Onscario, Canada

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:51 pm

chelsea00133 wrote:First off, "human food" isn't bad to give dogs. Yes, of course there are several specific foods that are dangerous for dogs (chocolate, cooked bones, grapes, etc) but giving your dog a bit of cooked meat, veggies, fruit, cheese, etc, is perfectly fine.

My dog has serious allergy issues, I've been dealing with them all his life(and they are getting worse as he gets older). I feed raw, he has been on it for about 5 years now. Raw diet has helped his allergies, but not eliminated them. For some dogs it may "cure" them completly, others it may not.

Food allergies aren't usually the cause of allergies in dogs in most cases. The majority of allergies in dogs are environmental/contact allergies (trees, grass, pollen, dust, mold, etc) Not saying that it can't be food allergies, but enviromental allergies are very likely. Have you done an elimination diet?

For training treats, these are some of the things I use-
Meat, any kind, cooked or raw (both, I like to mix things up so he never knows what he is going to get)
- Chicken, steak, beef heart (one of his favorites. I chop it up into small chunks, fry them with a tiny bit of garlic, then bake them) pork, goat.
Cheese. A big block of cheese will last you forever, just cut it up into tiny, pea sized bites. String cheese works very well also.
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
Cooked veggies (broccoli, carrots, green beans)
Cream cheese


:goodpost:

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:26 pm

hey this may be helpful, i was looking at some info on feeding raw meat and bones, on chickens there is a long skinny bone in the drumstick( the lower part of the leg , equivelant to the lower part of a human leg) called the fibula, even if fed raw could cause splintering in the mouth or even the stomach, it's real long and skinny and comes to a fine point. could be useful to someone, (like me) lol, who isn't quite educated on raw feeding. hopefully this helps some people on here out. you guys have helped me alot!!!!


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests