good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:27 pm

doesn't just apply to chickens, applies to any and all animals.

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:11 pm

arlene2010 wrote:some might not apply to dogs with allergies to some of these meats. i'm thinkin though that proccessed meats are what causes allergies. which is in commercial dog feed. is feeding a raw diet cheaper than paying 38 bucks every two and a half weeks?????

also trying to answer my post, i could feed my dog any of these listed meats as treats????



Have you looked into feeding a better quality limited ingredient diet? When I was feeding kibble I went through a large bag every month and a half or so. You feed less on a higher quality food.

I've been feeding raw for just over a month. I am by no means an expert and still have to ask questions, etc. It can be quite cheap. IMO it is kind of expensive in the beginning when you start out because you don't know what foods your dog will/won't tolerate. So it is best to buy in smaller portions. Which usually means you are not buying on sale (unless you get lucky) I had to buy a separate freezer about 2 weeks into it, because Khan's food took over my regular freezer quite quickly.

If you decide to switch to raw like was suggested read the BARF thread. I also have a pretty recent thread in this section...Raw feeding questions. I think it is still on the first page. Make sure you do your research before you try and jump into it. Also...be prepared for bumps in the road. I more than once have had to clean up diarrhea messes on my carpet. Thankfully I have a spotbot small area cleaner! Oh and from what I have read a lot of vets aren't crazy about RAW feeding. My vet doesn't know I switched Khan, but I anticipate she will be quite happy. She is very progressive and also practices holistic care.

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:24 pm

FBODGRL wrote:
arlene2010 wrote:some might not apply to dogs with allergies to some of these meats. i'm thinkin though that proccessed meats are what causes allergies. which is in commercial dog feed. is feeding a raw diet cheaper than paying 38 bucks every two and a half weeks?????

also trying to answer my post, i could feed my dog any of these listed meats as treats????



Have you looked into feeding a better quality limited ingredient diet? When I was feeding kibble I went through a large bag every month and a half or so. You feed less on a higher quality food.

I've been feeding raw for just over a month. I am by no means an expert and still have to ask questions, etc. It can be quite cheap. IMO it is kind of expensive in the beginning when you start out because you don't know what foods your dog will/won't tolerate. So it is best to buy in smaller portions. Which usually means you are not buying on sale (unless you get lucky) I had to buy a separate freezer about 2 weeks into it, because Khan's food took over my regular freezer quite quickly.

If you decide to switch to raw like was suggested read the BARF thread. I also have a pretty recent thread in this section...Raw feeding questions. I think it is still on the first page. Make sure you do your research before you try and jump into it. Also...be prepared for bumps in the road. I more than once have had to clean up diarrhea messes on my carpet. Thankfully I have a spotbot small area cleaner! Oh and from what I have read a lot of vets aren't crazy about RAW feeding. My vet doesn't know I switched Khan, but I anticipate she will be quite happy. She is very progressive and also practices holistic care.




yes ive checked into better quality lower ingredient kibble, but the ones i would like to buy are a far drive, and we ride a moped around to places, that's why i've been wanting to feed RAW, everything i would need would be 2 minutes up the road! BUT i've decided to do research on this feeding before i do anything. what did you start your dog out on when you started RAW? i'm thinking i could start out on chicken carcasses ( but WILL remove the fibula ), which could also tell me if it's the chicken in his dog food that is making him mildly itchy and licky. i also read that dogs need oils in raw feed too, 1 type animal oil and 1 type plant oil, and veggies that are eaten from the stomach part of prey.

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:28 pm

I made the mistake of starting with beef and adding organs right away. After 4 or 5 days I restarted the right way. I started with turkey (necks and wings) Khan is allergic to chicken. From what I have read chicken is most recommended to start with. I will be trying chicken eventually, but not anytime soon. Since sometimes if they are allergic to the processed chicken(in kibble) they tolerate raw chicken fine.

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:41 pm

FBODGRL wrote:I made the mistake of starting with beef and adding organs right away. After 4 or 5 days I restarted the right way. I started with turkey (necks and wings) Khan is allergic to chicken. From what I have read chicken is most recommended to start with. I will be trying chicken eventually, but not anytime soon. Since sometimes if they are allergic to the processed chicken(in kibble) they tolerate raw chicken fine.



so i should exclude the organs of the chicken for the first week? and how long does a full grown chicken carcass last you?

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:33 pm

I don't feed anything in full carcasses, so I am not sure. You can ask in the BARF thread or my raw thread and someone who feeds whole parts can help you.

I have read you shouldn't add organs anywhere from a couple weeks -several months. More or less to start slowly adding them over that time. I still am not up to the full amount of organs and we have been doing it for a month. Some people feed full organ meals(full amount your dog should have in a week in 1 day) others feed a smaller amount every day. It depends how your dog tolerates the organs and what way is easier to feed. Liver should be 5% of the organ meat. So for example right now Khan is getting beef liver and spleen at a 50/50 ratio split into about 1-2 oz and I give him that every few days with a bone in meal. The non bone meals he still doesn't do well with (I have only done beef and venison), but he has done fine with fish (fillets) not whole for one meal and a bone in meal for his other meal.

User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Actually chicken is one of the safest bones to feed. Birds need to be light, for flight, so their bones are filled with airpockets. Yes the bones are sturdy, but since birds weigh very little (relative to the volume/mass ratio) they are very, very safe.

If you want to see what happens to bone when you dog chews it, take a meat tenderizer/mallet to the bone. Drumsticks are a staple in Monte's diet and become 'mushy' when chewed.

Please, please read the [b]ENTIRE[/b] B.A.R.F 101 thread, it really is a textbook for feeding raw and will give you insight, websites to read, forums to join, that will help steer you in the right direction :) .

LMW
(Raw since 2003)

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:53 pm

El_EmDubya wrote:Actually chicken is one of the safest bones to feed. Birds need to be light, for flight, so their bones are filled with airpockets. Yes the bones are sturdy, but since birds weigh very little (relative to the volume/mass ratio) they are very, very safe.

If you want to see what happens to bone when you dog chews it, take a meat tenderizer/mallet to the bone. Drumsticks are a staple in Monte's diet and become 'mushy' when chewed.

Please, please read the [b]ENTIRE[/b] B.A.R.F 101 thread, it really is a textbook for feeding raw and will give you insight, websites to read, forums to join, that will help steer you in the right direction :) .

LMW
(Raw since 2003)


agree!

I even just reread what I wrote in my last post and thought to myself...a while ago before I started RAW I would have had no idea wtf any of that meant lol

User avatar
Amie
Moderator
Posts: 17463
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:10 pm
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby Amie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:44 am

arlene2010 wrote:hey this may be helpful, i was looking at some info on feeding raw meat and bones, on chickens there is a long skinny bone in the drumstick( the lower part of the leg , equivelant to the lower part of a human leg) called the fibula, even if fed raw could cause splintering in the mouth or even the stomach, it's real long and skinny and comes to a fine point. could be useful to someone, (like me) lol, who isn't quite educated on raw feeding. hopefully this helps some people on here out. you guys have helped me alot!!!!



So... in the wild the dog picks that bone out and leaves it?

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:44 pm

well i'm not too sure about that since they don't have thumbs, lmao! but it's just something i read on the internet that alot of people pointed out. thought that it might be helpful. maybe because domestic dogs haven't been wild for a LOOONNGG time. humans had to adapt to eating certain things when we were put on this earth...you have a goooood point though. lol. didn't cross my mind.

User avatar
chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby chelsea00133 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:25 am

arlene2010 wrote:well i'm not too sure about that since they don't have thumbs, lmao! but it's just something i read on the internet that alot of people pointed out.


I think you maybe be confusing COOKED bones with raw. It is NEVER okay to feed cooked bones of any kind, they are very dangerous because they splinter into hard sharp needle like peices.


I have fed raw for about 5 years now, and we're not looking back! I doubt I will ever go back to feeding kibble.
I'm certainly not an expert, but feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help if I can.

User avatar
arlene2010
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis. Indiana
Contact:

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby arlene2010 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:04 pm

chelsea00133 wrote:
arlene2010 wrote:well i'm not too sure about that since they don't have thumbs, lmao! but it's just something i read on the internet that alot of people pointed out.


I think you maybe be confusing COOKED bones with raw. It is NEVER okay to feed cooked bones of any kind, they are very dangerous because they splinter into hard sharp needle like peices.


I have fed raw for about 5 years now, and we're not looking back! I doubt I will ever go back to feeding kibble.
I'm certainly not an expert, but feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help if I can.



the article i read about that fibulus bone was on raw bones, i learned a huge lesson on cooked bones, just had to take my pup to the vet for an intestinal blockage, a bad one. luckily there was no splintering, and is all better now. So now since he loves bones and don't rob him off the yummyness i give him a raw chicken bone bout two times a week, and it passes just fine. what did you start your dog on? others told me chicken is a good starter for raw food.

User avatar
El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Today? Overlooking Alcatraz or the French Alps

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:16 pm


User avatar
chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 898
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:45 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: good raw treats that won't upset his stomach?

Postby chelsea00133 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:51 pm

arlene2010 wrote:
chelsea00133 wrote:
arlene2010 wrote:well i'm not too sure about that since they don't have thumbs, lmao! but it's just something i read on the internet that alot of people pointed out.


I think you maybe be confusing COOKED bones with raw. It is NEVER okay to feed cooked bones of any kind, they are very dangerous because they splinter into hard sharp needle like peices.


I have fed raw for about 5 years now, and we're not looking back! I doubt I will ever go back to feeding kibble.
I'm certainly not an expert, but feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help if I can.



the article i read about that fibulus bone was on raw bones, i learned a huge lesson on cooked bones, just had to take my pup to the vet for an intestinal blockage, a bad one. luckily there was no splintering, and is all better now. So now since he loves bones and don't rob him off the yummyness i give him a raw chicken bone bout two times a week, and it passes just fine. what did you start your dog on? others told me chicken is a good starter for raw food.



When I first put Bailey on raw I started him with Chicken. Muscle meats, no organs. First boneless breasts, gizzards. The wings, legs, to encourage him to chew. Once he was okay with that we went to turkey, then beef, then pork and so on. The last thing I started giving was organs, those are usually the hardest on the dog if he hasnt had them before. Lucky for me, Bailey has a stomach of steel, so it didn't take him long to get used to all sorts of meats. For a more sensitive dog, you'd start slower and introduce meats slowly one at a time.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 22 guests