Chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul: any comments on this

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul: any comments on this

Postby gixxerific » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:55 am

I just bought some Chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul. Anyone out there have any experience or comments on this? I still have the receipt I have seen mostly good but as usual the occasional bad comments on this brand. The place I went to had Diamond, Candid (SP) and TOTW. I was going there to get TOTW and it said that it is good for all life stages. I bought this since it was a puppy formula and not being the expert nutritionist I am hoping I did right.

So please tell me I did right, I can always take it back and get something else. I always got Pro Plan which I want to get away from the grain based foods as long as it doesn't upset my pup.

Thanks

Dono

MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul: any comments on

Postby MissKitty » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:39 pm

I am no expert nutritionist, so I could be all wrong. But personally I would have gone with TOTW over Chicken Soup. I never feed puppy food because most puppy foods have a big difference in percentage numbers in calcium and phosphorus and fat vs kcal. I always go for all-stages.

And personally I just didn't like how Chicken Soup worked for my fosters, all were gassy and I didn't feel it did anything for them.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks I will keep that in mind. What you said is amking me think thoug. I wasn't sure fi the all stages matters or not for a new puppy. If not I will probably try to take this back and get the TOTW.

Thanks.

I sure dont want a gassy dog I'm gassy enough as it is. :wow roflmao

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 pm

I fed the chicken soup dog food for a while. It has the exact same ingredients at the Diamond Naturals food (same company makes it), but the Diamond Naturals are less expensive.

I'm not sure of the puppy food (I've never fed the chicken soup puppy food), but the ingredients don't look bad.

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), white rice, oatmeal, millet, potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Still, I'm with MissKitty. TOTW is a very good food, and being all life stages you can feed it forever lol

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Unless someones comes on with a definite reason not to keep it I will see how it goes. It is a huge bag and was not very expensive and yes the ingredients look to be good. MissKitty had me worried with the gassy thing. I guess we shall see. I have been shopping and researching other brands.

I only want what is good for my little girl.

Worse come to worst I can donate it to a rescue or the HS and get something else.

Luv4Riley
Newborn Bully

Postby Luv4Riley » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 am

:pray Oh thank goodness, I thought it was just me! lol . I never knew about grain dog foods etc, I always fed my mutt mixes Dog Chow until my roommate moved in with his Rottie. Since it would've been too difficult to make them eat their own food, esp since I free feed them, my roomie ever so adamantly demanded I feed my dogs his food which was Pedrigree. When I got my first APBT a few months back tho a friend told me about grains and fillers when I mentioned how much less they were eating when the roomie and his dog moved out. When I mentioned it to the clerk at the local pet store I go to he backed her up and said how even tho it was more expensive, they would start to eat less of it. So I asked what he recommended and he asked what kind of dogs I have and what my budget was and I started feeding them Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul: Large Breed Formula. Well they did start eating less. My puppy had had gas before, but it wasn't until you mentioned this everything clicked together. He had pretty avg stinky gas at first when he was eating the Pedigree, and I think it was about the time I switched when he went through this really raunchy gas phase which eventually tapered off to just here and there, still pretty foul but not as bad or mild as before. At first I thought It was b/c of treats that had Peanut Butter in them and meat gel filled bones b/c I have never given him people food. But I guess now I know the problem. Ironically tho my other 3 mutts, as far as I can smell lol , are not getting gas.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:45 am

MissKitty wrote: because most puppy foods have a big difference in percentage numbers in calcium and phosphorus and fat vs kcal. I always go for all-stages.

They do and they should. Puppies require more nutrition per pound of body weight than adults, and puppy foods reflect that. Puppies are growing, and require more protein, vitamins and nutrients for growth. They also have much higher metabolisms, so puppy foods should have a higher fat content as well.

This fits easily into super-premium guidelines for more calories, more fat and more protein... so instead of cutting back the calories for adult foods, they just slap an "all life stages" sticker on it. All life stages = puppy food.

If your puppy is going to weigh more than 50 pounds, you should be carefully scrutinizing the label, because fast growth due to over-nutrition is a major contributor to orthopedic disease in large breed dogs. Unlike other puppies, large breed puppies need more protein LESS fat and LESS calcium to meet minimums but keep growth at a slower, healthier rate.

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks for the replies.

Lucy is eating it and I haven't noticed any problems yet. I have a huge bag so I hope she likes it and it agrees with her. I did have to gt her some canned food cause I could't get her to eat at first. She loves that.

Luv4Riley
Newborn Bully

Postby Luv4Riley » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:47 am

[/quote]
If your puppy is going to weigh more than 50 pounds, you should be carefully scrutinizing the label, because fast growth due to over-nutrition is a major contributor to orthopedic disease in large breed dogs. Unlike other puppies, large breed puppies need more protein LESS fat and LESS calcium to meet minimums but keep growth at a slower, healthier rate.[/quote]

I remember one of the sales clerks mentioning something about the Puppy formula having more protein b/c I asked him if it was okay if my older dogs ate it too since all the dogs eat the same thing. But then I remember him looking at the adult formula and saying "oh, it's about the same, guess they'll be fine then." or something like that. I hope my ignorance to dog food didn't cause my PB any future problems b/c according to all the comments about his size/age from people he was big and I hope that doesn't mean he grew too fast. Everyone said the same thing when I'd tell them how old he was at different stages growing up, they'd all say "wow he's big, he's gonna be huge." They kept making it sound like he was gonna turn into a great dane or something!lol He hit 7 mo. and slowed down though. I haven't noticed him getting any bigger and I think he's done growing. He's 18-19" at the shoulder and 22-23" at the middle of his back.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 am

Libby, the Diamond Naturals foods and the Chicken Soup foods have very different ingredient lists- Diamond uses one meat (chicken, beef, or lamb depending on flavor) and a couple grains, and that's pretty much it. CS has chicken, turkey, duck, and salmon along with multiple grains, fruits, and veggies all in the same bag. Chicken Soup has more meat in it overall than Diamond does, that's why it is more expensive.

On that note, Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup, and Taste of the Wild are ALL made by the same company. lol

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Chicken soup ingredients:

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, ocean fish meal, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Diamond Naturals Chicken ingredients:

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, dried beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Huh, your totally right Savage Destiny! Its been years, but I could have swore I compared ingredients once because they were out of the DN and they were so similar I got the bag of chicken soup.

I'm just getting old and going senile, I guess! lol

gixxerific
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby gixxerific » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:14 pm

I guess I did alright than. I did check the ingredients before I bought it. I looked at other brands and I couldn't pronounce more than half of the ingredients. That scares me a bit. :aha:

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:00 pm

It's reasonably priced, and I have fed it in the past! IMO certainly a higher quality than Iams, Euk, Ol Roy, Pedigree, etc. and thus a good value.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Libby don't feel bad. lol I work part time at a pet supply store as well as doing grooming, and we sell both CS and DN. So I'm a bit familiar with the ingredients, its an unfair advantage.

Return to “Health Issues”