Urinary Incontinence

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Adrianne

Urinary Incontinence

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 am

Well this is morning 2 waking up in Shamoos pee. Yesterday it was just a small leak and I just assumed it may be a total oops.

This morning I woke up in a puddle and she was still sound asleep. For the last year she's slept with me around my chest and for the past few weeks she's helpfully put her butt at my armpit.

As much as I don't want to wake in pee every morning I really don't want to send my old lady to her crate each night again. I'd miss sleeping with her and honestly she deserves being able to sleep with me, she's crated way to much as it is.

What are my options? Are there viable medications (I'll call my vet but I'm looking for personal experience with which I will use personal responsibility) ? I assume she would be fine with diapers but is that unfair to her to sleep in pee if this happens again?

She's still peeing outside like a normal dog I just worry she doesn't know she's going while she's sleeping.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: Urinary Incontinence

Postby Libby » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:49 am

Gypsy was having some issues with urinating in the bed while she was sleeping. My vet put her on Proin, and I kept her on it for one bottle. It seemed to help, and she hasn't had any problems since (that was...gosh, six months ago?)

I hope you can find a solution for Shamoo.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:54 am

Do you think one of those belly bands would help?
Does she have a UTI? Or is it just a "she's older" thing?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 am

I think Belly bands only work on males? I should have her checked for a UTI but otherwise she's had no issues with peeing. I really think it's just her getting older. About 2 weeks ago I started noticing she's sleeping even more soundly. When I wake up she now slowly rises if she's above the covers and just watches me until I call her as opposed to jumping down and stretching. If she's under the covers I can shower and get the other dogs outside before she even rouses.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:40 am

Get a urine sample to the vet to rule out a UTI, then talk to your vet about putting her on Proin. We dealt with Lily leaking for months before talking to our vet and she was so sad whenever she realized what happened. The Proin stopped it instantly. And the nice thing about Proin is you can start her off on a really low dose, and even take her off it after a few months. Oh, and a bottle of it is super cheap.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:18 pm

You could try the Proin, but could it be just drinking too much late at night and then really tired? Nero has had two such incidents, not for a long time now but about six months apart he had peed the bed, a ton of pee and just didn't seem to wake up and know he had to go, he would wake up after and start licking the bed frantically trying to cover it up which woke me. So now we make super sure he doesn't get a big workout close to bedtime where he's worn out and drinks a ton of water and that he goes out right before bed which seems to have done the trick.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Tully is incontinent. We tried the Proin, but even at relatively high doses, we were still having episodes. I also tried a homeopathic remedy, and kind of accidentally, more recently was feeding a grain free diet, which some people seem to believe makes a difference. What actually works for her is a medication called DES (long, unspellable name), which is no longer commercially available, but is readily available from a compounding pharmacy. I get it at Walgreens, costs me about $30 for 30 capsules, she takes one twice a week. Which is also a fairly high dose, once a week is more common, the twice a week is pretty much maximum.

You'll need to go to your vet. They'll want to do tests to rule out anything else, I would expect both blood & urine tests, mine did that, and it really is safest. Then, assuming they find nothing, they'll want to prescribe the Proin. That works for most dogs. If it doesn't, talk to them about the DES.

My vet does like to recheck the blood & urine tests occasionally, we just do a geriatric profile. I do find that we still have an occasional leaking event, it tends to be when she drinks extra water and sleeps extra soundly. She's pretty well controlled, though.

star_frances
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby star_frances » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:12 pm

I second the advice others gave about having her checked and looking into possible medication. In the meantime would soemthing like this help for the bed?

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Max-Reusable ... =8-1-fkmr0

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks all, I'll take her in for a vet check in a few days when I get paid (I am cutting it pretty close on bills this week) and I'll definitely get one of those bed mats.

Hopefully this Proin medicine will be enough.

Good to know she's not the only one, my poor poor bed wetter.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:35 pm

Brina started having problems with incontinence a few months ago. She's been on Propalin syrup for a while now and it works great, no more incontinence at all.

http://www.allivet.com/PROPALIN-p/25944.htm

She is sleeping in my bed at night so she was wearing panties with pads at the beginning untill the medicine started working. I used the same ones people use for females in heat.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:19 pm

luce is another leaky girl, and she has been since she was pretty young... three or four. she takes proin and does well with it for the most part (she has occasional break-through leakage).

definitely have a urine sample checked first. leaking can be the result of a urinary tract infection, and that's something you don't want to miss.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Along with what everyone said above, Buddy was on stilbesterol (DES) for a few years. It's SUPER cheap (here at least) and with one pill a week, her incontinence was completely gone.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:35 pm

I've had great success using Proin for my mix girl. Several years ago she started leaking urine in her sleep, on the couch and in my bed. After ruling out other possible problems my vet prescribed the Proin, and Mocha hasn't had a single accident since. As mentioned, Proin is cheap. Mocha did have some mild negative side effects on the initial recommended dosage, but with some experimentation I found a level that works to completely prevent the incontinence with zero side effects.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Well last night we were accident free but I also cut her dinner (floated in water) in half because I fed the dogs right before bed.

I'll still get a vet appt though to check in on a potential UTI and the meds.

Thank you all!

Return to “Health Issues”