White PitBulls Prone To Skin Problems?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

White PitBulls Prone To Skin Problems?

Postby Luv4Riley » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:38 am

<------ Meet Riley, my first ever APBT via an unintentional acquisistion (that I now believe was destiny and am so glad happened :inlove: ) and one of the first things a friend told me was that "You just have to keep an eye on them because white pitbulls are prone to skin problems". I wasn't able to find any related topics with the keywords I tried and I was wondering if this is true, and if so, what kind of skin problems? As you can tell he's not albino. With the exception of a few black spots (like dalmation size) on his backend, ears, and belly, he's all white with black eyes and a black nose. It was almost dalmation like in forming too b/c he was solid white as a puppy and they started developing around his 4th month. Its so weird tho cause the spots are black on his skin, but the hair that grows from them is white, never seen that in a dog before. Oh and the inside of his mouth is spotted too! lol
Luv4Riley
Newborn Bully

Re: White PitBulls Prone To Skin Problems?

Postby Patch O' Pits » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:41 am

Often dogs with poor pigment which is sometimes associated with lighter colored or dilute coats coats may have more sensitive skin not always skin problems per say at least from what I've seen. More so really depends on the individual dog and the genetics behind it.

It is pretty normal for white dogs who have good pigment to develop some ticking or pigment spots as they start to mature.

Albinism now would be a totally different story and is connected to many health issues, but I have seen very very few of true albino dogs.
Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:11 pm

My boy has black spots under his white fur sections too.

I at this point have a hard time saying any color of this breed is more prone to skin problems than others. I really thing this breed as a whole no matter what color has skin problems...mostly related to allergies. There are so many BYB's popping out pit bulls that they don't have any concern about health issue. The preceding is my opinion and may not be actual facts lol
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Luv4Riley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 am

Well the only skin problems he's had so far, aside from scratch marks from playing, are red bumps/marks on his under carriage, so to speak. I can't tell if its marks from playing, possible flea bites (he does not have fleas but I find the occasional stray one every now and then), or something else all together.
Honestly at this point that's the least of my worries right now anymore. Now I've got a whole new worry to deal with: Canine Influenza. I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning. He started retching in the early hours this morning and then regurgitated his dinner, still in whole chunks ( I knew he wasn't chewing his food! What a pig. :yucky: ) I figured he was good after that, but he continued to cough every so often through out the day. Its like he was a cat hackin up a hairball, cause it always ended with a hard cough and literal 'yak' sound. But its also gotten more congested sounding too as the day wore on. I'm pretty sure that's what the diagnosis will be since my dad's dog is currently on antibiotics treatment and under quarantine at their house. And b/c Riley was there for about 10 min on Sunday, and his dog got diagnosed on Wed I think. But the best part about all this is that I have 3 more dogs besides him, so guess what? yep... :teardrops:
Luv4Riley
Newborn Bully

Postby heartbullies » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:27 am

Sunburn! My friend has two lightbulb-heads and their ears, muzzles, foreheads and noses (and the girl's undercarriage b/c she likes to sunbathe on her back) get sunburned, so she puts sunblock on them.

The girl is Booker's best friend and I take her with us on camping trips; she gets pretty grimy with the sunblock out in the desert and woods but with her pink skin and short fine coat, it's better than a burn. (I'm a ginger, so I can commiserate!)
My dog has pink skin but darker fur, and even he has gotten some sunburn and pigmentation changes related to sunbathing; I am getting better in the last year or so about making sure he's got SPF when I do.

Hope Riley feels better soon, and the others don't catch it!
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Luv4Riley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 am

Well I read on pitbull site that you only had to worry about the ones with the pink noses, but he is light skinned everywhere else. I got him at two months back in July, but he didn't go out much, except for the bathroom, he pretty much just slept all the time for the first two months after I had him. I live in SC so the sun isn't as bad here as say, FL or something. But this will be a concern this summer, esp b/c I take him everywhere I can with me. So do they make like a doggie sunblock or something, or do I just use human? And what if so what kind? (spf, for kids, spray, lotion, etc.)
Luv4Riley
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:21 pm

mines an all white pit/lab/am bulldog mix. my vet told me a similar thing white dogs = skin problems. Last summer he had a bad rash on his back that discolored his fur pinkish (it didn't hurt him or anything was more of a 'visual' thing for me heh). it eventually came off no problems and he's been fine ever since. i just feed a high quality food/salmon oil and don't worry about it.
maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby maciek » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 pm

also I live in Florida too mine gets sunburnt a bit on his nose and around his eyes. nothing too bad it's too hot out here in the summer for us to be outside for long in the summer months anyway it kind of sucks can't do anything. I think I'll try putting something on next summer though...
maciek
Newborn Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Have 2, never had skin 'problems' :)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Return to Health Issues